Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2013 Dustball Rally 1000 from El Paso to Las Vegas!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 Dustball Rally 1000 from El Paso to Las Vegas!!!

Hey what's up Guys! My name is Nathan and I am a longtime Mitsubishi enthusiast. I own a 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII which I will be entering in the 2013 Dustball Rally 1000 which kicks off at the end of February. I just wanted to let you guys know and I'll be keeping this thread updated with our progress.

Over the past 10 years I have raced DSM’s and EVO’s on drag strips, road courses, autocross tracks, and now, will be competing in the Dustball Rally 1000 in February 2013. My team will consist of myself driving and my wife, Becky, navigating. Our team name is Team Don't Tread on Me.

The Dustball Rally began in 2005 and was originally based on the iconic Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash and Alcan 5000 rallies. Since its inception it has traveled all over the United States, from San Francisco to Miami and everywhere in between including: San Antonio, Santa Fe, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and Denver. The event organizers stress that the Dustball Rally is NOT a race but instead a non-timed street-legal rally which operates with cooperation of local law enforcement agencies. Today it is nationally recognized as the most difficult Gimmick Rally in the World.

The 2013 Dustball 1000 is a three-day event traveling from the Sun City of El Paso, TX to the Sin City of Las Vegas, NV. The actual route is not announced as it is revealed in clues found along the journey, but it promises to spiral through scenic routes and attract a lot of attention along the way. The tech inspection and driver's meeting will be February 20th, the drive from El Paso to Destination A is February 21st, the drive from Destination A to Las Vegas is February 22nd, and there are group activities in Las Vegas on February 23rd.

The event is limited to 20 entries and is run by performance and exotic cars including Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraris, Aston Martins, Corvettes, Mercedes, BMWs, and of course this year, my Evolution VIII.

So far out Team is being sponsored by Boosted Tuning. Jay is hooking us up with dual fuel maps to get us quickly and safely throughout our 1000 mile journey. Jay has been awesome so far and we will be proud to have his name on our car during the event. If anyone is considering remote tuning solutions, be sure to check him out. http://www.boostedtuning.com/

If anyone else is interested in sponsoring our team during the event please contact me for info. I will keep this thread updated as the event gets closer. Just a little over a month left before it kicks off! Comment or subscribe to keep up with the action!

Nathan and Becky
Team Don't Tread on Me

Last edited by 9!'clipseDOHC; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Registration still open?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
Registration still open?
Deadline is on the 15th so just 4 days left. Registration info is here: http://dustballrally.com/index.php?o...=1:latest-news
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

So has anyone ever done a similar style event before? This will be our first such event and we are quite excited for it! I really thought that there would be some interest in an Evo competing in an event like this.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

775 is a bit out of my reach. Between rebuilding Sheila, buying a new dart for the wife, and choosing between a trans final drive/rebuild or a 70" sharp tv i'm a lil tight on cash.

As for an evo running. Idk if they just supported or actually ran but the old shop luna performance had their car all tagged up for awhile like they ran. 2008 i think. So not really new to me.
I really would love to join but it would cost a absurd amount of money since i'd need to be retuned for 91. I'd rush to finish my build. And i would still get 15mpg at best.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
775 is a bit out of my reach. Between rebuilding Sheila, buying a new dart for the wife, and choosing between a trans final drive/rebuild or a 70" sharp tv i'm a lil tight on cash.

As for an evo running. Idk if they just supported or actually ran but the old shop luna performance had their car all tagged up for awhile like they ran. 2008 i think. So not really new to me.
I really would love to join but it would cost a absurd amount of money since i'd need to be retuned for 91. I'd rush to finish my build. And i would still get 15mpg at best.
I completely understand, you've got to keep your priorities straight.

I talked to Ray Luna about it and they sponsored the whole event one year and both Ray and his brother have competed in the event in different years. They both said its a lot of fun!

Exactly why I am having Jay at Boosted Tuning set me up with switchable maps. I was already on E85 and now we are working on dialing in the 91 octane map.

It is a large investment, but my wife and i were already planning to go to Las Vegas that weekend and we already had the time off from work and everything. It was perfect timing so we couldn't pass it up! We are also going to be spending a few days in Vegas after the event.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Cool.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Well, the registration for the Dustball closes today and they announced the full list of competitors. Looks like my Evo VIII is going to be competing against:
  • 2 Acura NSX's
  • 2 Porsche 997 Turbo's
  • 2 Corvette Z06's
  • An Aston Martin Vantage
  • A Bentley GT
  • And a pair of BMW's.
How do you guys like my odds? The full list can be seen here: http://dustballrally.com/index.php?o...157&Itemid=154
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Two more signed up today, a Nisan GTR and a Porsche 911. This should be fun!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

My wife just got me a Valentine 1 radar detector for the Rally. I'm not planning on driving like a retard, but the advise I got is that others may drive way over the posted speed limit and **** the cops off. Then when you come by doing a few over with the same decals, you get ticketed too. From my research the Valentine 1 is one of the very best on the market and should help keep our journey ticket free!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:04 AM
Evolving Member

I made a video with highlights of me racing over the course of 2012. It features both my Evo, which I will be running in the Dustball next month, and my Eclipse, which i am currently stripping and turning into a drag only car.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Here is the full teams list (I hope you guys are cheering for me!):
#00 Team W0T - Aston Martin Vantage
#07 Team DeansLIst.US - Porsche 911
#13 Team Lucky 13 - Corvette Z06
#16 Team Brony - Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel
#17 Team Siebzehn - Audi R8
#18 Team Achtzehn - McLaren MP4-12C
#20 Team Don't Tread On Me - Mitsubishi Evo 8
#26 Team Blue Zone - Acura NSX
#27 Team DSTP-1 - Porsche 997 Turbo
#28 Team DSTP-2 - Corvette Z06
#33 Team Turbo Baby - VW GTI
#42 Team Curious George - BMW 3-Series*
#46 Team Show Me Your TT's - BMW 135i
#50 Team Hazmatt - Mustang GT
#55 Team Get in the Trunk - Scion FRS
#69 Team EVOLR - Nissan GT-R
#76 Team Abilities Unlimited - Corvette Z06
#96 Team Rush Hour - Bentley GT
#97 Team Costa - Porsche 997 Turbo*
#99 Team Litewood - BMW M5

The event is now just 2.5 weeks away!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this blows, I already live in Vegas lol guess ill wait right here
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RichieVegasIX
Well this blows, I already live in Vegas lol guess ill wait right here
Actually that would have been just as convenient. You drive down here, do the Rally, and when it's over you are already home. For me when it's over I have to drive all the way back to El Paso. I know a lot of the competitors actually ship there cars to the starting location or back home afterwards or both. But you can see from looking at the cars list, some of these guys are very well off (I can't wait to see that McLaren!). Me, I'm just a normal guy having fun in my Evo!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would love to do something like this some day! Too bad my buddy blew up his 5858 A4 or else we could have had a pretty unique entry. Some day I will do something like this.

Quick Reply: 2013 Dustball Rally 1000 from El Paso to Las Vegas!!!