Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Autocrossing a Ralliart, where to go from bone stock

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
I think that spells it right there. In terms of the DSM, I believe what it is saying is that you can have the 4G63 through any of those manufacturers regardless if they badged the engine differently.

IE: you can put a gen 2 eclipse 4G63 into an eagle talon or chrysler laser regardless of the manufacturers badging.

If you think I am wrong, I would suggest getting a clarification via SCCA before doing an engine build.
The rule does seem a bit ambiguous. I think I can read it both ways though I feel the spirit of the rule is no engine swaps outside of model origin (not make origin).

Maybe SEB clarification would be helpful just to have ammo to fight another competitor with an engine swap. If it is intended as RJones is thinking, then I might need to look for a Solstice Coupe for a LS swap
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The reason I gave Strelneicks as an example is because he's a multi-time SSM national champion with a well known car (most know that he has a 20b) that has been featured in sportscar mag, etc, etc. I highly doubt it would go unnoticed that he has an illegal motor. It doesn't impact me since my build is based on a 4g63, but I will write a letter for clarification and also post on sccaforums.

Edit: Letter submitted SEB Letter Tracking Number #11951

Last edited by RJones; Jul 19, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
The reason I gave Strelneicks as an example is because he's a multi-time SSM national champion with a well known car (most know that he has a 20b) that has been featured in sportscar mag, etc, etc. I highly doubt it would go unnoticed that he has an illegal motor. It doesn't impact me since my build is based on a 4g63, but I will write a letter for clarification and also post on sccaforums.

I think Im starting to come around to your thinking after doing some research. Why would we have a modified subframe rule (as long as weight and suspension pickup points remain constant) if it weren't for engine swaps within a manufacturer.

Still anxious to hear what the SEB says.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Exactly!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

This has gone way off topic. Lol

I think the best bet for a ralliart is to keep it stock and maybe run RTA (or street class). It's not going to be competitive in any other class until you get to SM, and even that is questionable and would take $$$ to basically get it to the level of an Evo X.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you ever get a response?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Not that I've seen in a recent FastTrack. I'm 100% certain that my interpretation is correct though.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as the block is of the same manufacturer then you will be legal. People always joke about someone taking an old Honda F1 block or something silly like that and throwing it in a honda 600 and making it awd. Street Mod FTW LOL!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Back from the dead.......I finally got a response to my letter in the Nov 2014 FT.

"Richard Jones,
Your letter has been reviewed by the Solo Events Board and a response will appear in the November Fastrack. Here are your letter details:

Letter: #11951
Category: Street Modified
Class: SMall
Title: Engine Allowance Clarification
Request: I am having an argument over section 16.1.D.1 with a couple people and am seeking clarification. The section states "Engine block must be a production unit manufactured and badged the same as the original standard or optional engine for that model."The argument is that this language means that the engine block has to be a standard or option engine for that model of car, but my counterpoint is that the focus of the clause is the make. I am interpreting the rule to state that any engine from the same make as the original engine is allowable and that it does not need to be from within the model line. Is this correct?
Thank you,Richard Jones"

The response from the Fastrack states:
"#11951 Engine Allowance Clarification
Replacement engines allowed by Section 16.1.D.1 are not required to be standard or optional engines for that model."
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Back from the dead.......I finally got a response to my letter in the Nov 2014 FT.

"Richard Jones,
Your letter has been reviewed by the Solo Events Board and a response will appear in the November Fastrack. Here are your letter details:

Letter: #11951
Category: Street Modified
Class: SMall
Title: Engine Allowance Clarification
Request: I am having an argument over section 16.1.D.1 with a couple people and am seeking clarification. The section states "Engine block must be a production unit manufactured and badged the same as the original standard or optional engine for that model."The argument is that this language means that the engine block has to be a standard or option engine for that model of car, but my counterpoint is that the focus of the clause is the make. I am interpreting the rule to state that any engine from the same make as the original engine is allowable and that it does not need to be from within the model line. Is this correct?
Thank you,Richard Jones"

The response from the Fastrack states:
"#11951 Engine Allowance Clarification
Replacement engines allowed by Section 16.1.D.1 are not required to be standard or optional engines for that model."
Thanks for following up. It would be nice if they revised the wording of the rule to be a little more clear that any engines are allowed within the make.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah...I'm a little disappointed that it took them 16 months to come up with that response. Oh well, I guess it was low priority.