Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Kettle Moraine Double Regional - Chicago Region SCCA - Club Racing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kettle Moraine Double Regional - Chicago Region SCCA - Club Racing

I have to say this was a fantastic weekend. If you have never visited Road America, do not wait, go track it the first opportunity you have! The track is so much fun, and the facilities and personnel are top notch. Lots of camping ground around the track to have trailer and family setup without any problems, definitely some beautiful grounds.

As for the video below, this was the last race on Sunday. Sadly there were only 2 T2 cars out in the track, this is due to the run offs coming up in a couple weeks. Lots of folks decided not to run and prepare their cars for this event.

Again for this been my first race ever, I felt very happy with the car, the crew, and my progress.

With regards to the competitiveness of the car, I think this season the Evo was at disadvantage given all the SCCA T2 rule changes. I'm told that the Porsche's dropped some weight as compare to last year, and the Evo is still running the same weight, so there might be a disadvantage.

I'm not sure if I'm out running the suspension and tires, I HIGHLY doubt it. But at times the JRZ RS suspension felt too soft, and even running on R tires that had 2 heat cycles, I wished they had just a bit more grip. We did change the springs prior to the event, to 800lbs and 700lbs.

Last edited by dnetcrawler; Aug 26, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Some more info:

The event was a double regional with a complete test day on Friday, so I was able to get lots of track time.
I felt like I was progressing quite well through out the days, with my best time at 2:35.497, best time for T2 was 2:33.729 for Porsche 996.
I was really struggling with turn 5 and turn 8, the car kept having a tendency to oversteer in both turns (maybe the way I was handling it). Through these turn, it was evident that I was loosing lots of speed,. All cars/drivers seem to be able to enter and exit much faster/smoother than me
Heel-toe shifting technique is really killing me as well, don't really have a way to practice since right now I do not have a manual car for my daily driver.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
That's not a bad time at all. Marty Grand whom drives a 9 in T2, double SCCA nat champ @ that track would be an excellent resource to tap. Search this forum for T2/SCCA stuff and you'll find him, GalantVR4 or something is his handle. He'll be there for the runoffs if you live nearby and can visit, as will another X I believe. The JRZ RS's "may" be too slow, as Marty runs the tripples and has since forever. Not sure what the contingency is for shocks, but I've only seen the RS's on DE/street cars. Heal/Toe comes with time, may look at pedal modifications too if it's too uncomfortable/out of place. In for more car pics too.

Last edited by Balrok; Sep 4, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Balrok, I have been reaching out to Marty and he has provided lots of great advice and feedback. I will definitely be at the Runoffs and hope I can meet him. We are looking into the MCS triple suspension right now, but we still haven't made a decision. We did get a new set of pedals which help a lot, but we might have to bring the gas pedal higher, as I feel it's is too low and hard to reach on the kick.

Here are some pictures from the event:

Old Sep 4, 2013, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Haha, nice, talk bout a crew and pit . One thing you also might look at which I know Marty does is run A6's instead of R6's. Yes it's more difficult to manage the heat in such a heavy pig but when done right especially with proper suspension setup it'll give WAY more grip then the R6's, and your sprints are usually shorter then NASA's. Especially since it looks like you bring multiple sets anyway and have the provisions to change them .

But ya, 3600lbs, F* me. I'm in the 3100's race weight. How they expect a car that heavy, that has the aerodynamic properties of a wood shed, and FAR less superior suspension design to a 996/7, to be "fair" is beyond me. Even though you were on him, you can tell he spends very little time between gas and brake, and is usually throwing the car into the corner exit on full throttle earlier then you on x corner.

Last edited by Balrok; Sep 4, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Haha, nice, talk bout a crew and pit . One thing you also might look at which I know Marty does is run A6's instead of R6's. Yes it's more difficult to manage the heat in such a heavy pig but when done right especially with proper suspension setup it'll give WAY more grip then the R6's, and your sprints are usually shorter then NASA's. Especially since it looks like you bring multiple sets anyway and have the provisions to change them .

But ya, 3600lbs, F* me. I'm in the 3100's race weight. How they expect a car that heavy, that has the aerodynamic properties of a wood shed, and FAR less superior suspension design to a 996/7, to be "fair" is beyond me. Even though you were on him, you can tell he spends very little time between gas and brake, and is usually throwing the car into the corner exit on full throttle earlier then you on x corner.
Would really take advantage of the A6's, but right now I think they would be too much for the driver and the suspension

I couldn't agree more with regards to the second point, she is one of the heaviest car in the T2 class today, and a square at that! I submitted a request to loose 150lbs, we will see how that goes, they are not very Evo friendly

Some of the data for my more consistent runs

FYI, if you right click and select open in a new window, you will get the larger better viable file.

Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Seems like I was doing much better on lap 7 right until the end. Not sure WTF happened. Seems like for some reason I lost it on 12 and 14.

Last edited by dnetcrawler; Sep 4, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I remember you from a while back. How are things? Regarding your suspension/tire question...just remember, since you jumped into club racing without any HPDE experience there is a lot of stuff that you havent experienced yet. My input...be patient, otherwise youre going to spend lots of money for no reason, and that might burn you out. Ive seen it happen to some people. And yeah, 3600lbs is pretty heavy. I think you should consider another car, and even look at different classes. Youre new, so be patient and keep your options open.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
I remember you from a while back. How are things? Regarding your suspension/tire question...just remember, since you jumped into club racing without any HPDE experience there is a lot of stuff that you havent experienced yet. My input...be patient, otherwise youre going to spend lots of money for no reason, and that might burn you out. Ive seen it happen to some people. And yeah, 3600lbs is pretty heavy. I think you should consider another car, and even look at different classes. Youre new, so be patient and keep your options open.
Hi Bueller, things are going great.

I'm not in any rush to change anything with the car at this point, as it is the car is 2 years ahead of the driver, this is something that I have discussed in many occasions with the Fall-Line's team manager and crew chief.

The car is a lot of fun to drive, and even if at a disadvantage in T2, I don't see myself jumping into anything else for a while.

Right now, I'm just seeking feedback from the more experience members of the forums. My (n00b) observations are simply a search for enlightenment
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dnetcrawler
Hi Bueller, things are going great.

I'm not in any rush to change anything with the car at this point, as it is the car is 2 years ahead of the driver, this is something that I have discussed in many occasions with the Fall-Line's team manager and crew chief.

The car is a lot of fun to drive, and even if at a disadvantage in T2, I don't see myself jumping into anything else for a while.

Right now, I'm just seeking feedback from the more experience members of the forums. My (n00b) observations are simply a search for enlightenment
Sounds like youre doing well. This quote ive posted is some of the best advice ive read:

- https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...l#post10422161