Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Öhlins THAT much better?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Solenoid
Certainly not knocking the O's because there are a beautiful & capable damper

However, my FA 510's outfitted w/the radial bearing kit & Swift springs (10K/12K) do the same thing over the curbs. All due to the blow off feature in the valve (Digressive Valving)

My point, you dont have to buy the name brand to get the digressive valve benefit

Ill run the curbs with any of you boys
i have nothing against FA, i like what they do as a company. one of the top evo's in my NASA region runs FA's and he bought them after he sold me his ohlins.

i think Rob hit it dead on a few pages back, FA just doesn't have the years behind the name. they do appear to be making changes/improvements as needed, but ohlins just wins in the experience department. if i had gotten the deal i did on my ohlins, i would probably be driving on FA's
Old Nov 1, 2014, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
i have nothing against FA, i like what they do as a company. one of the top evo's in my NASA region runs FA's and he bought them after he sold me his ohlins.

i think Rob hit it dead on a few pages back, FA just doesn't have the years behind the name. they do appear to be making changes/improvements as needed, but ohlins just wins in the experience department. if i had gotten the deal i did on my ohlins, i would probably be driving on FA's
I think that most of us are all for what FA is trying to accomplish in the market place. More competition is always better for the consumer. If FA can deliver an Ohlins-quality damper with similar support, reliability, and longevity at a cheaper price then we all win.

But I think they've got a long way to go still. Ohlins has a huge amount of experience and a massive track record of building quality dampers. Not just for cars, but for a number of on- and off-road applications. They really do make a quality product, and you won't find many people who disagree with that statement.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i had the FA 510 and now FA Dreadnought double adjust. they are great coilovers for the money. two of my friends bought the 500 after riding in my car. both cars are DD and one does about 10 track weekends a year and the other a few track weekends a year. unfortunately, they are becoming more popular with the stance crowed because they are cheap coilovers to lower cars. FA is constantly upgrading and improving their shocks.

there are a few real race cars that use FA. ProfessionalAwesome will be using FA next year and UMS is currently using FA.

Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

rob, how did you bend those KW shocks. did you hit a bolder or something?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
rob, how did you bend those KW shocks. did you hit a bolder or something?
I think they just got over heated or something. I was doing rally new York
and that is a full tarmac Eve t on public roads. I might jumped once or twice. maybe some ditch hooking, but Def no curbing.
the said part this happened about the 3rd stage sitting forth overall with a stock class car. And there was Ken block etc. there. and one of the left turn just collapsed on me. took me off road and did some gardening. after it was a yard sale all over on the road.

any how I have no clue why this happened. But it did. then we changed the suspensions back to fully OEM and finished the rally... with a same paste . but because the time penalty etc we ended up at the 9 place and 3 place in category.

No more Kw for me. and they never even responded any of my emails....

So In short most of these shiny cheapo fail very fast as soon as you put them in a hard test. on public road. track I can't see why they would fail. so I guess you can get a way for a lesser suspension if it set it up right vs a better brand which has no too much test and set up behind it. key is the set up. but when you do it right, there is no way the FA will over come on the Ohlins. you can't rely on names only. many people does. you have to set up right and then you will know the difference.
No offense to anyone
I am. just saying there is a possibilities a strong one, with a good set up of FL can match with a Ohlins if that is not set it up right for that particular car. And that state t will be out of the window as soo as you run on not perfect conditions. Ohlins will stump on any upcoming names. period.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 3, 2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Oh I forgot. I the service Park there was a scrutaneering making sure my car is good to go again. no fault was find beyond that Kw coil over....
I am still on the parts I used there. was no other damage of any other parts, besides the coil over it self. not even tire or rim damage at all.
my car has still a 2008 front end which came from the factory with a car. we never touched anything there. only swapped suspensions.

it is a testament of the evo rigidness and reliability or what?

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 3, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

^ or you got really luck
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my set of FA 510's w/ swift springs 10k/12k roughly a month ago. Did two events on them to finish the season off, and couldn't be happier thus far.

Is it inferior to Ohlins? Maybe

But I'm a firm believer that there's a lot more room to make up in the driver department, than blaming my lack of speed on having FA's over something more expensive. To a point that no longer holds true, but for 95% of us on the track, it's the perfect product.

Hoping as I ease into TT next year, I can keep them.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:22 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Got my DFVs dialed in last weekend and put down my best time ever. Once I had them at 5/F & 7/R clicks from full stiff they were super confidence inspiring.

Last edited by golgo13; Dec 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
i had the FA 510 and now FA Dreadnought double adjust. they are great coilovers for the money. two of my friends bought the 500 after riding in my car. both cars are DD and one does about 10 track weekends a year and the other a few track weekends a year. unfortunately, they are becoming more popular with the stance crowed because they are cheap coilovers to lower cars. FA is constantly upgrading and improving their shocks.

there are a few real race cars that use FA. ProfessionalAwesome will be using FA next year and UMS is currently using FA.

I know this car very well
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by boostincincy
But I'm a firm believer that there's a lot more room to make up in the driver department, than blaming my lack of speed on having FA's over something more expensive. To a point that no longer holds true, but for 95% of us on the track, it's the perfect product.

i agree 100% which is why i'm not too worried about staying with my KWs. LOL
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody know the spherical bearing size in the camber plate for the Dfv?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyfong
The shaft size is either 10mm or 12mm.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Got my DFVs dialed in last weekend and put down my best time ever. Once I had them at 5/F & 7/R clicks from full stiff they were super confidence inspiring.
Nice glad to hear! I know I've asked this before but how did you do about dialing them in?
Originally Posted by Lazyfong
Have you tied calling Ohins direct? I've got my stock Ohlins plates boxed up but I could try and take some rough measurements for you...I say rough as without pressing out the bearing In not sure I can get exact dimensions...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 03:37 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Nice glad to hear! I know I've asked this before but how did you do about dialing them in?
I ran the car for about three track days on the settings in the manual (10F/10R from full stiff) and then had an instructor drive the car after his recommended settings that his friend was running in his evo.

Quick Reply: Öhlins THAT much better?