Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Öhlins THAT much better?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:33 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Öhlins THAT much better?

did a search and am sure there are threads that discuss this.. but anyway:

i daily my Evo, but am used to harsh rides. my question is are these:

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=104&page=1

$1,000 better than KW V3? probably not for daily driving, i know, but for the road course. i can give up some ride quality for a much better lap time, assuming they are worth the cash.

i'm really liking the DSV.

thanks in advance, guys.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
my understanding is that the major benefit is mostly for road manners
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That pricing doesn't seem to be accurate. As of recently Ohlins have dropped in priced to around the 2500-2600 range.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Worth every penny over V3's. V3's are harsher in ride, feel like very high blow off compared to ohlins. I drive mine occasionally and I just drove 2800 miles on my Ohlins (doubles) - awesome ride, and won my second National Championship on them too

Ohlins have separate ride hight adj, were the V3's need to have a helper spring cuz the spring perch is the hight adjuster Not sure about the Evo V3's but the Subi V3's lower adjuster is a ***** to get to.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ You won't be able to find them in stock at that price. In fact have you found a single source that has them and will sell them at $2500? The vendors I reached out to are still quoting over $3000.

I'm not sure if they are better than similarly sprung KWs. I'm actually a bit pissed off that Ohlins ships there coil overs with mismatch springs and valving. For around $3k you would hope that they knew WTF they were doing.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:18 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
mismatched spring rates and valving? whaaaaa?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoredDSM
That pricing doesn't seem to be accurate. As of recently Ohlins have dropped in priced to around the 2500-2600 range.
^this. Ive seen them listed for $2500 multiple places.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Autoxevo
Worth every penny over V3's. V3's are harsher in ride, feel like very high blow off compared to ohlins. I drive mine occasionally and I just drove 2800 miles on my Ohlins (doubles) - awesome ride, and won my second National Championship on them too
Congrats on your second jacket--nicely done!

What kind of spring rates are you running & stock valving?

Bars?

Looking @ some C/O alternatives for my car...

TIA
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yes, ohlins is a very good coilover. It is much better then KW.
The following users liked this post:
LancerLover (Feb 19, 2023)
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ohlins have separate ride hight adj, were the V3's need to have a helper spring cuz the spring perch is the hight adjuster Not sure about the Evo V3's but the Subi V3's lower adjuster is a ***** to get to.
My understanding is that all of the higher end coilovers use the spring perch as the height adjuster to get the maximum amount of travel for any particular height. Having a separate height adjustment, eliminates all of that potential suspension travel.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

My experience has been the exact opposite. I think the ohlins are a quality piece. But I think a lot of people shun the KW's with no experience on them. I have driven on a set with 3 different spring rates. And I was very impressed. Including over 1,000lb spring rates. They rode incredibly well. These were revalved compared to OTS offerings.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ReidFletcher
^this. Ive seen them listed for $2500 multiple places.
Many places have had them listed for those prices but its unlikely you can order it for that price. I'm under the understand their prices actually went up recently and vendors haven't updated their sites yet.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
^ You won't be able to find them in stock at that price. In fact have you found a single source that has them and will sell them at $2500? The vendors I reached out to are still quoting over $3000.

I'm not sure if they are better than similarly sprung KWs. I'm actually a bit pissed off that Ohlins ships there coil overs with mismatch springs and valving. For around $3k you would hope that they knew WTF they were doing.
$3000 is cheap when you start talking custom valved and setup shocks with rates of your own choice.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Best option for the money would be one of the used sets of AST 5100's available. 2000-2200 and 3 sets available from different members.

The only experience I have with KW-V3s are in a Subaru and they are extremely harsh. High speed valving was definitely leaving something to be desired (way too much force) and adjusters only effect low speed IIRC.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Ironically, Ohlins no longer makes nor supports coilovers for the CT9A platform. This has been confirmed by several vendors. Yes, you can still get them thanks to NOS, but they will be gone soon. I think the price drop is to move all of the old stock.

Alternatively, KW recently raised their pricing on the V3s. It is my assumption that this price increase is to try and move them into the same space that the Ohlins R&Ts occupy.

KW V3s are an amazing coilover for the money, but are a step down from Ohlins R&T with proper springs and valving.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Best option for the money would be one of the used sets of AST 5100's available. 2000-2200 and 3 sets available from different members.
Agreed. I was considering those, but the ones I see people selling at the moment are in too poor shape for my taste. They are probably mechanically sound though.

Last edited by golgo13; Feb 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Öhlins THAT much better?