Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing Shoes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing Shoes?

Hey guys, I'm hoping to start doing autox next year (no possible way to get ready for this year, sadly) so I've been doing research and reading the STU threads to learn about what it's all about. I've been trying to do the things that I can now so that when the time comes I'm a little more prepared that I am now.

I know that SCCA (and probably most places) won't let you do runs with no shoes on, the problem is that I've been driving with no shoes on for a few years now. When I started driving a manual I used to get my left foot stuck underneath the clutch pedal at lights sometimes, I also didn't feel safe with my pedal inputs using the shoes I was wearing at the time. I ended up ditching wearing shoes while driving shortly afterwards and I've been driving with socks/barefoot ever since.

I went out and grabbed a pair of converse all stars (as per the internet's advice) a few months ago and I just can't make them work, the pedal feel is just more muted than what I'm used to and my shifting/heel-toes are dreadful with them on. I've been trying to work through it and get used to them but it's just frustrating. Recently I've been looking at racing shoes/boots (Sparco, AlpineStars, etc) since they might give me a better pedal feel that's closer to what I'm used to, but I have pretty large feet. When I was wearing DC's I wore a US 15, my dress shoes are about the same size (14.5 I think?) and the chucks are US 13, the chucks get a bit tight walking around but in the car they're fine comfort-wise, also from what I was told chucks run fairly large.

tldr; So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions for different shoes and if they run small/large? Or should I just stick with the chucks? I'm in Omaha, NE and my searches have come up pretty short as far as places that carry racing shoes as well, so I'm not sure going somewhere to try out different sizes will work out.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even as someone who showers regularly, eats granola rarely, and has owned a tie-dye shirt never, I wear Toms.

They have a really thin sole so you can feel the pedals really well, the ends stay tight around your toes so there's no extra slop, and they're reasonably priced at $35 to $40. Not as flashy as a shoe from a racing brand but they work well.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:03 PM

I happen to work out in NB Minimus' and they work awesome for AutoX due to the thin sole/pedal feel and their sticky rubber sole/grip.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
maybe you need toe shoes, or five-finger shoes watchumacallthoseridiculusthings.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 05:28 PM

Yeah I've thought about those toe shoes things, they seem like they would be really weird though. Not sure how I'd get on with them. I might see if I can find a store that carries the NB Minimus and see how they get on, though I have a feeling they're going to be small since they only make them in 14. The soles on the Toms looks suspiciously close to the soles on my chucks as well, so I'm not too sure about that... will check them out in a store as well though.

Always been hard finding shoes with my clown feet, this is even worse than normal though D: anyone else have any ideas?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 05:53 PM

"Only make them in 14"? You mean they only make them up to 14? Hmm...yeah man THAT'S A HUGE B...I mean foot.

What about a pair of wrestling shoes?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
maybe you need toe shoes, or five-finger shoes watchumacallthoseridiculusthings.
I've got those shoes, brand name is Vibram. I've tried daily driving in them and it was horrid, I can't imagine AutoX.

What I use now, like others have mentioned, are the NB Minimus. Those are my go-to shoe for racing. Recommended
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Buy wrestling shoes. You can get a clean set of Nikes for $50 and they are damn near the same as a "racing shoe"
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by gmac03
"Only make them in 14"? You mean they only make them up to 14? Hmm...yeah man THAT'S A HUGE B...I mean foot.
Haha yeah, sorry, only up to 14. I'm usually only comfortable in a 15 (though it depends on the manufacturer I guess). Wrestling shoes have popped up in my searches every now and then as well, I'll have to check them out. Never took them seriously but a quick search shoes it's probably about what I'm looking for... some are a bit flashy but I can probably find some simple ones somewhere I'm sure.

You guys have me interested in the Minimus' now as well, I'll check those out.

Sorry if I sound like a noob asking for racing shoes, still figuring out a lot of stuff probably no need for actual racing shoes/boots yet. Good info guys.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Alpinestars, Momo, Puma.
These are my favorite by far. Look good, very soft skinny bottom. Be aware , for rocks on the ground... Lol
When I am on gravel I do usually regret them. But as soon as you behind the wheel, nothing even come close.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by logicshiFt
The soles on the Toms looks suspiciously close to the soles on my chucks as well, so I'm not too sure about that... will check them out in a store as well though.
I have 3 pairs of Chucks and 4 pairs of Toms and the soles are definitely quite different. Toms are thinner and more flexible all-around.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Alpinestars, Momo, Puma.
These are my favorite by far. Look good, very soft skinny bottom. Be aware , for rocks on the ground... Lol
When I am on gravel I do usually regret them. But as soon as you behind the wheel, nothing even come close.
Sparco's here, but ya walking on rocks hurts like a mother, but tends to prove how much you "feel" in them lol.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my experiences most dedicated racing shoes run narrow. And making the assumption based off your foot size this might be an issue. My supplier for all things racing is Discoveryparts.com
Really great people and they will take their time trying to explain and help you find the right equipment. Ron is the owner, and being a racer himself, can help you make the best possible choice. Give them a call, I'm interested in what he has to say/offer. Even if you don't buy from them their knowledge can be really helpful.

Cheers,

CB
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i have two pairs of FIA spec Pumas that the GRC drivers wear. they are like wearing a soft slipper with a slight sole...pretty good driving...unfortunately not publicly available

my point is yes...try real motorsports shoes. i have 13's and struggle with anything but the above.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 06:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
If you do go with something super thin sole, make sure you have a pair of regular shoes with you for the times where you are not driving.

Quick Reply: Racing Shoes?