Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
I have no problem sharing this information, I'm just not sure how it's relevant?

Yeah, I'm quite new.

I've been running my evo for about two years total and I'm just starting to get the car to a point where I'm pushing it more than 7/10ths. I'll take another look at my line and the turn apexes to see how much I missed them.

I agree, I did do a lot of one handed driving. That will have to stop.

Good stuff here, thanks. I'll take another look at my video after reading this turn by turn breakdown.

IIRC it's only a good idea to drive on the first rumble strip at speed, but not the rest as they'll unsettle the car?

Good to know how slow I am. Zhong is a good guy, he's given me a few pointers of the years.
Actually, the way you responded to my questions does make me think you have an attitude. Maybe im wrong, so ill still try and help you out. I dont use the forums regularly so there are a lot of locals i dont know, thats why i asked if you live in Socal. If you do, and since i dont know who you are, i thought it would be nice to ask because we may run into each other at an event. Or maybe we already have and i dont recall. If RRE tunes your car theres an even greater likelihood we will run into each other. What dyno your 291/300 came from and what turbo you have can explain a few things. For instance, if you have a big turbo and youre only making 291whp, no matter how soon you try and get on the gas the turbo will lag and thats going to kill your lap times, mostly at BRP. In-car videos are deceiving, especially without data overlay, so maybe you are stepping on the gas earlier than it seems. If thats the case your setup is whats making it seem like youre not using the gas pedal enough and more of a reason why its hurting your lap times. Regarding the dyno, there are some in Socal/Norcal that read as much as 15% lower than others. That and the other questions i asked would have given me a better idea of your cars potential so i could better assist you. Remember, you provided us nothing to begin with. Regarding my heel-toe comment, it doesnt have to be a priority, its one of the things i noticed.

Last edited by golgo13; Nov 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
Actually, the way you responded to my questions does make me think you have an attitude. Maybe im wrong, so ill still try and help you out. I dont use the forums regularly so there are a lot of locals i dont know, thats why i asked if you live in Socal. If you do, and since i dont know who you are, i thought it would be nice to ask because we may run into each other at an event. Or maybe we already have and i dont recall. If RRE tunes your car theres an even greater likelihood we will run into each other. What dyno your 291/300 came from and what turbo you have can explain a few things. For instance, if you have a big turbo and youre only making 291whp, no matter how soon you try and get on the gas the turbo will lag and thats going to kill your lap times, mostly at BRP. In-car videos are deceiving, especially without data overlay, so maybe you are stepping on the gas earlier than it seems. If thats the case your setup is whats making it seem like youre not using the gas pedal enough and more of a reason why its hurting your lap times. Regarding the dyno, there are some in Socal/Norcal that read as much as 15% lower than others. That and the other questions i asked would have given me a better idea of your cars potential so i could better assist you. Remember, you provided us nothing to begin with. Regarding my heel-toe comment, it doesnt have to be a priority, its one of the things i noticed.
No attitude here, I wouldn't ask for criticism if I was going to get defensive or be a punk ***.

Didn't I thank you for your feedback? I didn't disagree or argue with you whatsoever. Maybe it was the way I asked my questions. It's hard to convey things like voice inflection, body language and so on through the written word.

I appreciate your pointers 100%.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

Cleaned up my thread so I don't sound like such a *****, because I wasn't trying to be one.

Thanks fellas.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

Evo IX Laguna Seca NCRC 5.25.13 Session 2 Lap 10 1:53.03

Best lap of the day.

Comments?

Last edited by golgo13; Aug 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:09 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, I would love to drive that track.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
Damn, I would love to drive that track.
I second that!!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

I posted this up because I got blasted in my last post. But you can directly compare events to see improvement:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...p-4-13-cw.html

Here's the video:

Last edited by golgo13; Aug 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:04 AM
EvoM Community Team

Come on guys, don't be afraid to tell me I'm a ****ty driver. I can't improve without pointers.

Here's some feedback so far:

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX
be smoother on turn in, more faster in the turns. Get on gas even earlier. Make sure you hit all your apexes and braking points. complete your downshifts before the turn and get on gas before you hit the apex.

Your car can do 1:47s no problem.
Still leaving to much track at the exits. T5 was the biggest example of leaving speed on the table by not utilizing all of the track (exit).
Putting my instructor hat on for a second:

- You're holding the steering too long, which is scrubbing speed and pinching off your exits.
- You should be on the throttle sooner (at least as far as I can tell from the soundtrack). The Evo likes it best if you are on the gas from the turn-in point (gets the rear diff working), and as close to full throttle as you can get at the apex (do it right and you'll feel a 4-wheel drift to the exit).
- You have to slow down the car a lot more than you think for the last corner heading on to the straight. Everyone makes that same mistake there, but it's critical to get it right because being full throttle from the apex can mean a huge difference in lap time.

Last edited by golgo13; Aug 14, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that is a respectable lap time.. I don't think you'll get any advice better than what you've posted, those two are definitely knowledgable about the Evo and it's track habits. I took some notes lol

That last straight to turn is very hard to gauge, IMO. I have the same issues as you have when I run that track. About how fast would you say you're going before you hit the brakes? I just want to see if I'm going faster into that turn, or slower.

Seat time, seat time, seat time. That's what everyone at the tracks' around here tell me is the most important tool for improving ones track time. I'm sure you already know this though.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

I was still getting a feel for the track, that was my first time running Laguna so my braking zones were all over the place lol... But if you are talking about the straight before turn 11, I would guess 80-90. There were a few times where I was breaking quite deep and a few others where I got on the brakes too soon.

Last edited by golgo13; Aug 12, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:02 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
video not available. I think I can clean it up some more? lol
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Video works fine for me.

Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's private (video)
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Should be fixed, no idea why YouTube screwed me like that.

Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate you. Live too far away to run LS.

Looked good overall. garage door opener...loose object hazard. T11, did you try trail braking into that turn to get the rear to rotate more.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]