Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

data acquisition, AIM vs Traqmate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
data acquisition, AIM vs Traqmate

i have a few friends that use AIM solo and they are happy with it. the AIM data analysis software is very nice. but i want something with throttle and brake as input. the AIM SOLO DL has obd2 input but i think data rate from the evo will be too slow for it to be useful, unless its from CAN.

anyone has experience with the AIM solo DL and the Traqmate system? i'm more interested with the data analysis aspect to improve my lap time.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
im waiting for joe to send me my AIM files so i haven't messed with the software yet. the research ive done, you may also want to look at the racepak g2x although ive heard traqmates software is better.

i feel almost like at my level the aim is ok, at your level you need a traqmate/racepak since both have extra inputs. i believe aem sells a brake pressure sensor that works. i think i have a setup written down in my notes somewhere.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

cantor use the aim, ive seen the software and they also have class for the software. i've seen the instructor use the software. seems very powerful, even without the throttle and brake input. it use G meters to simulate throttle and brake.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thai, I use a Race Technology setup and it is industrial strength (well, prob not Motec/Pectel/Cosworth, but good, at least on par with the higher dollar AIM). This means there is a learning curve, but it is very powerful and relatively straightforward once you get going. I can show you everything at WGI if you are there.
Avoid anything using the OBD2 port (way too slow, unless it is fast CAN, and even then you can't pick from CAN at Nats or really any NASA event, but obviously lax at regional events). Easy enough to wire into a brake pressure and TPS sensor.
You should also read a book or two on logging, the one by Graham Templeton is quite good. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...logging-manual
Flip side is that you won't be able to easily share data with non-Race Tech users.

Last edited by Bnjmn; Sep 3, 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Bnjmn
Thai, I use a Race Technology setup and it is industrial strength (well, prob not Motec/Pectel/Cosworth, but good, at least on par with the higher dollar AIM). This means there is a learning curve, but it is very powerful and relatively straightforward once you get going. I can show you everything at WGI if you are there.
Avoid anything using the OBD2 port (way too slow, unless it is fast CAN, and even then you can't pick from CAN at Nats or really any NASA event, but obviously lax at regional events). Easy enough to wire into a brake pressure and TPS sensor.
You should also read a book or two on logging, the one by Graham Templeton is quite good. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...logging-manual
Flip side is that you won't be able to easily share data with non-Race Tech users.
I spent years on this question and ended up with race tech as well. I've got most of the usual suspects, tps, boost, afr, oil press and temp, water temp, gopro sync, rpm, gps, g's, etc all without using OBD for the above reasons and OBD just sucks. Ext sensors are soooo much cleaner and faster. Rpm and tps are from the ecu wires.

AIM is also quite good, I likely would use it in a customers car if they weren't tech savy enough to use the flexibility of race tech, but if I was on a data team I'd be on RT. It really is the true engineering tool without the 6x price ecu combos.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Balrok, what race tech system do you have? is video and data integration live if you use their camera, or do you still have to combine video and data later on computer? how easy is it to figure out the formulas for the analog channels?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
Balrok, what race tech system do you have? is video and data integration live if you use their camera, or do you still have to combine video and data later on computer? how easy is it to figure out the formulas for the analog channels?
DL1 Club. Correct live if you use video4, after if you use others. I got a hero3 white just so I can use the auto start sync cable so I don't have to mess with guessing. Start video and data with 1 button = win. Formulas vary for every system, with the RT you can specify with your own math or by using a voltage chart which does the math for you. They're sensors are built very well with mil spec wires which of course need no math just select from the drop down.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
so is RT king just when wanting to use lots of external sensors? for data rate? or am i missing something?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
so is RT king just when wanting to use lots of external sensors? for data rate? or am i missing something?
That's really hard to answer. Every data system has it's good's and bad's depending on WHAT you want to do, and HOW you like to do it. You'd need to know your preferred GPS refresh rate (aka accuracy your looking for), all inputs you want to log now and later, in-car display you prefer to have or have already, do you want to do calculations on box or later in software, what do your fellow racers use that would be willing to share with you or coach you with, and how savy are you to find things out on your own or do you need big buttons.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 08:50 AM

I would say the system is useful b/c it has plenty of inputs, is relatively easy to use and the software and data processing is sophisticated and very powerful. It also has excellent expansion options in terms of dashes and video integration.
I am also adding that GPS update rate alone is not a solid indicator of quality. The GPS data really needs to be intelligently combined with the data from the lat and long G accelerometers to be useful.

Last edited by Bnjmn; Sep 8, 2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a few friends that use AIM solo and they are happy with it. the AIM data analysis software is very nice. but i want something with throttle and brake as input. the AIM SOLO DL has obd2 input but i think data rate from the evo will be too slow for it to be useful, unless its from CAN.

anyone has experience with the AIM solo DL and the Traqmate system? i'm more interested with the data analysis aspect to improve my lap time.
Whichever is the better option, Let's go in on this together and buy two.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
Whichever is the better option, Let's go in on this together and buy two.
ok, i'll send you link and you can order two sets. i'll get you back

do you even race bro!

didn't see you register for Watkins Glen. there's like 38 cars registered for TT so far.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:14 AM

Ever think about the AEM AQ1?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roostinds
Ever think about the AEM AQ1?
Not bad for the price. Only includes a tenth of what the other two have but if I just wanted the basics and had the new AEM EMS that's likely a good fit. Software looks simple too.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, i'll send you link and you can order two sets. i'll get you back

do you even race bro!

didn't see you register for Watkins Glen. there's like 38 cars registered for TT so far.
I hate/ love you

Quick Reply: data acquisition, AIM vs Traqmate