Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Few top BS cars would fair pretty good compared to the AS times on the same course...as much as that comparison is valid due to different days, weather, etc...
Old Sep 9, 2016, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Prime12
http://sololive.scca.com/BS.php

As expected... BS has turned into a spec C5 class at Lincoln
Rooting for Evan, but pretty freaking annoying to watch a spec class, kinda of what the ND did to C-street. Now with the ecu arguments that are going to take place in all ST classes, STU might be even more a **** show than it currently is handicapping the evo even more.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by laloosh
Rooting for Evan, but pretty freaking annoying to watch a spec class, kinda of what the ND did to C-street. Now with the ecu arguments that are going to take place in all ST classes, STU might be even more a **** show than it currently is handicapping the evo even more.
at least they continue to dominate the last few years in ASP - the old chassis, at least. congrats to berry/grice & miller! top 3 spots in ASP go to evos! surprised SCCA hasn't pushed them out by now. ironically the evos were moved from BSP into ASP, are now winning ASP, and is the slowest class among ASP, BSP, and CSP
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

13 trophies, 10 C5's, 1 s2k in mid-trophies and 2 1M's at the last two spots.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Prime12
13 trophies, 10 C5's, 1 s2k in mid-trophies and 2 1M's at the last two spots.
Pretty even distribution!!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Another event and some good competition from Mr. Prime. I ended up hitting the finish line cone with my rear bumper so this wasn't even clean, his was however. The event was set up on a very bumpy lot, with the slalom running right through some major bumps. All day I struggled getting the car through there as it simply felt disconnected and very sloppy. For slaloms imo the 275 Rival sidewalls are too soft, especially when over tired. We were neck and neck with me having the slight lead going into the slalom and then Mr. Prime just drove through it while I played pitch and catch through it. His exit is what put the nail in the coffin while my "exit" was mostly luck and recovery.

Mr. Prime 49.21 vs Laloosh 49.25
Old Sep 12, 2016, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

That was a very good event for me. The wicked understeer I had been suffering with since July was finally gone, even with the CIRO brackets in the stiffest setting. . So now I know it was from bad tires.

Kessel's ND still got me by .5 but ND's were raw timing even C5's on the East course at the Nationals this year so I'm not too unhappy about that.

Anyways, I hope you are ready to defend your title against Kenny's Focus RS, now on RE71Rs.... if his video from yesterday is any indication, we might have a big problem on our hands

Old Sep 12, 2016, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Hope Kenny comes this weekend . All that video shows is that he over powered the s2000. Go gate by gate and the s2000 was actually quicker in the sections that actually involved turning Good thing NNJR doesnt setup straightway power courses
Old Sep 12, 2016, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys should come to the NEPA SCCA event at Pocono Raceway. Autocross on the infield of the track. This upcoming Saturday and Sunday.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

I thought about it, but I have to answer to a certain Golf R driver who has been very anxious to bump me from my points lead....

If the NNJR event doesn't meet the minimum entries that's the event I'll be switching to.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Finally everything is back on the car and it is almost ready for this weekend! There is still that sound that is happening here and there under certain conditions (more on it in this thread), which might stop me from running the car this weekend.

Does it always have to be something??
Old Sep 19, 2016, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Still raced this weekend, but ended up with only 2 runs in my car. And. no it wasn't because of this strange noise (looks like there is/was some air in the system that wasn't bled properly when they replaced ACD pump), but rather my brakes.

Couple of weeks ago on the way from work brake noise changed and car started to do uncomfortable things when braking from 70 mph (lots of side movements). So, next morning I swapped front rotors (same Coleman Racing custom set as before) and pads (Carbotech AX6 -> Porterfield R4S). Went for a test drive and it felt good. Completed bedding of the pads and things looked OK. I did not have enough time to do rears, which looked barely worn (both pads and rotors). Unfortunately, race was on Saturday, so I could have done nothing about the rears and went racing with this setup.

AX6 pads are not that bad (read not to aggressive) when not too hot. But, buy the end of the first run car started to rotate under braking and finish part require just that so I ended up chasing my tail a bit. But, that could have been of me still rusty and not racing for almost 2 months. On the next run, I had to chase the rear even more and on that spot right before the finish almost spun.

It was clear at that point that bias was way too much on the rear end and I didn't do any more runs with my car. Times were identical between the 1st and 2nd mainly because I forgot to shift to 2nd for couple of turns at the start (brain farting big time) on my second run. I also coned both of them, so I could have improve a bit, but it didn't feel like I was willing to fight that wrong bias. Plus, on the first run, car was producing lots of ACD-type-strange-noise, that I didn't feel I should be doing any more racing because of that.

What happened today about that noise, that I was able to reproduce in 1st gear without any issues before, is that I am unable to reproduce it any more. Either part that was making the noise died or all the abuse somehow bled the system so it is better now. It could be that pocket of air found a spot that is out of regular operation of the pump, but in any way, I will keep on monitoring the situation and if it comes back do something about it.

On my third run, I tried to get a ride in FoRS that was there, but owner was not feeling comfortable to let me abuse his brand new baby...at least I tried!

So, instead of RS, fellow EVO owner let me to abuse his GSR. Sure enough, I smoked his clutch a bit at the start even though I was trying to be nice to it...maybe that is why it happen!

His car is fully stock and only mod there is 275 RE71s. Car felt much softer than mine and definitely didn't corner as well. Ended up 3 tens slower than my first two runs, but I felt bad for abusing his clutch that I went to look for something else to torture. Car of choice was Lotus Elise, so I didn't have to make lot of changes in how to drive it - year right!!

Different beast altogether!! Took it easy on the first run not knowing what to expect, but went a bit more wild on the second run. Spun it twice and went off course in between those two (didn't want to hit one of the cones straight in the middle of fiberglass body shell). So last two run I did better and started to push the car in a more proper way and beat my times from the morning by 1.5 sec. I was still over 2 sec of the pace from the top two guys, but I had lots of fun in it.

If nothing changes regarding the C5s in BS, I might switch to this for a while. Or at least until I figure out what else to do with my car. It is shame that it is finally working as well as it could, so I will definitely try it few more times. But, from the National point of view, I have lost any hope that C5s could be beaten! There are some rumors of restructuring in Street, so things might get better. We will see...
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I think we should push harder to parse out BS, DS, GS. I think every single car in DS can be moved to GS and things would still be very competitive for the FoST & GTI. Some of the also rans in GS definitely need to be moved to HS (Civic SI and Fiesta ST are in HS, but not any of the Mini Cooper S variants? or even the current base Mini?)

With DS "empty," we can then move in evos, stis, fors, audi tts, etc. just my opinion anyway. I think it's pretty clear now FS, and possibly ES were way way too soft on index and should see bumps next year
Old Sep 20, 2016, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

I think I need to increase rear camber cause it does not seem like -1.2 degrees is cutting it. Another stacked nnjr event, and more evo domination by Mr Prime and myself with the 1/2 finish. Mic broke, so I inserted some awesome music instead.

Me vs Prime

Last edited by laloosh; Sep 20, 2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Well this thread is dead so I'll keep posting. PERFECT weather in the low to mid 70s, awesome course design filled with a little bit of everything and by far my best drive in the EVO since ownership.

NNJR is stacked with talent and I ended up paxing 10/102 which I was pretty happy with. I was on my game today and happy not to deal with extremely hot temperatures and smoking tires. The car felt great, floppy, but very sticky. I felt like I was able to do anything I wanted with it. Really waiting to see what the ECU STU thing ends up being, but B-street get more and more enjoyable with every event. Has anybody even attempted to contact Koni to see if they are interested in making some replacement shocks? I really don't want to do the MCS thing as that is simply not worth it IMO, nor do I feel like looking for used struts and sending them off the get revalved as that takes way too freaking long. Can't believe a simply solution is not available for this car

Pax
http://autox4u.com/results/2016/nnjr20160924_pax.htm
Class
http://autox4u.com/results/2016/nnjr20160924_fin.htm

Video

Some pics

Quick Reply: 2015 SCCA B Street EVO discussion