Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Thinking outside the Evo!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Thinking outside the Evo!

So, I'm at a point where I'm ready to move into something else for HPDE.

I would love to hear your thoughts on what you would drive if you didn't have an Evo.

I would also love to hear your thoughts on these current track weapons I'm considering (in no particular order) including design flaws, any pitfalls, etc:

2008+ Dodge Viper STR-10 (or ACR if I can find one in my budget)
Corvette C6 Z06 (Can't afford the new one yet)
E92 M3
LS3 swapped Rx7 FD

Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For just an HPDE car, I'd want something cheap enough that I can afford to wreck it, relatively cheap to build and maintain, easy to work on, easy to source parts, and probably RWD.

With that, I'd say E36 M3 or any Miata. Those are much lower power than what you've mentioned, but Miatas especially have plenty of options for moar powa if you want-- forced induction or there are plenty of engine swaps.

I've been thinking lately about something which offers similar Performance Per Dollar as an Evo if and when I decide to move on or add. I think I'd probably aim for a kit car of some sort-- I like Brunton Stalkers-- it's a Caterham 7 replica weighing in around 1600, it accepts V6 or LSx engines putting power potential from 200 to 350+ hp, Double Wishbones front and back, tons of tweaking available, etc. Some AC Cobra kits are similar coming in ~2500 pounds with LSx engines, just not sure many of them are tailored to handling.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
For a racecar, I would do an LS motor in a 240sx. cheap car, cheap motor. And even caged are very light.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S2000 hands down. Miata costs with less girl car comments. If I can ever be happy with the state off evo I can finally start building mine.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
For a racecar, I would do an LS motor in a 240sx. cheap car, cheap motor. And even caged are very light.
Have you tried finding a 240 lately? the're outragous.

I would personally go C6 Z06 or C5 Z06. C5 because of cost would make a perfect HPDE car. I don't really compete in any series so car limitations are not a concern so a cammed C5 on sticky tires would run all day long.

C6 Z06 are strong contenders is the price dosent scare you off. The Nannies make everyone look good. Strong power plant (if you can avoid the oils starvation issue). Odds are I will move to a C6 Z06 once I can handle the tire bill.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 240sx LSX would have been a great idea about 7yrs ago... the price of motors, swap kits and shells are stupid as heck right now (not to mention insurance rates)

The best option would be to try a LS swapped FC or FD rx7. They are great power to weight and lots of spares out there to support the chassis.

The old reliable Honda civic should never be turned down with the price of swaps very low they are very fast cars out there with basic stuff and 15 or 16" tires (CHEAP).

The oldest BMW I would suggest is the E46 M3 and if its beat up that could be to your advantage for a cheap swap shell.

Stay away from Audi, MB... have you thought of a G8, CTSV or even a GTO since your shopping for vettes?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 08:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Say it aint so

How about extending the performance level of the EVO. Built track engine & drive-train coupled w/serious suspension work

Evolve the Evo!!!

Whats the matter w/you Noah

Just joking. All things come to an end. Havent given it too much thought except maybe a GT3 cup car
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

I'm just bored with the platform. I'm now at that point where I have to get hardcore with the car to get more out of it, or get a car that's a bit more raw out of the box.

I love the evo and even the thought of getting rid of it makes we wince but I feel like I'm ready for some N/A RWD action.

Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
I'm just bored with the platform. I'm now at that point where I have to get hardcore with the car to get more out of it, or get a car that's a bit more raw out of the box.

I love the evo and even the thought of getting rid of it makes we wince but I feel like I'm ready for some N/A RWD action.

I can assure you that you brain cells will be working overtime with a RWD car that's totally analog lol. I had a stripped caged 240sx S13 with a built sr20 and pushing in the area of 450whp pump gas and it was a constant battle to keep it from killing me on street tires. Very fast car, very fun to drive and watch but you are going to leave the car sweating and exhausted. I was able to pace with two viper cup cars on a technical course so that's decent for < 8K invested.

The FC LS swap may be what your looking for if you are looking for analog excitement.

The GT3 is a very nice car that kinda almost drives itself so that's not much of a challenge over an evo, sti or S4/RS4
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
My favorite car that i had was my S2000. That thing could take a beating and was so much fun to drive. And it was not really all that expensive if you get an AP1.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Isn't the S2K platform really tail happy/twitchy?

I thought I heard that somewhere. I do like cheap though. That's why I was kinda eyeing the BRZ/FRS, but I don't think I'm a huge fan of momentum cars.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I must have done at least 15 or 20 HPDE events on my S2000. If you are not carefull it can bite you like anything that is rear wheel drive. But that cars limit is very high i feel before it starts to get there. Just like any car if you learn to drive it smooth you will be able to feel when the rear is stepping out a little bit and how to bring it back in. But yea it deffinitly is known for its snap oversteer. But i loved that car that this was like on rails and was so light. When i drive the evo i feel like im driving a tank compared to that car lol. Its so heavy and and feels so much less connected to the road. The sS2000 has great feedback to the driver for what the tires and the car is doing since you sit so low! Sorry for the long response lol
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS swapped NC Miata.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart004
The GT3 is a very nice car that kinda almost drives itself so that's not much of a challenge over an evo, sti or S4/RS4
Have you ever driven a GT3? Specifically the 996 GT3, extremely raw and a drivers car.

Personally if your considering a Porsche, I'd look into a Cayman.

I've always teased the idea of a C5 Z06. Price and reliability are great. Simplicity in a track car gives me peace of mind.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
My favorite car that i had was my S2000. That thing could take a beating and was so much fun to drive. And it was not really all that expensive if you get an AP1.
I had an S2000 before the Evo. And I LOVED that car!! The only reason I haven't gone back is I couldn't take a huge step backward in lap times.

Quick Reply: Thinking outside the Evo!