Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

RaceFab wet sump pan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
RaceFab wet sump pan

There are several threads documenting your wet sump options including stock vs AMS oil pressures and installs. This thread is to reveal to our community what our friends down in NZ have been enjoying all along. This is their 8/9 (and likely it'll fit 7's) oil pan. I'll be documenting the installs and any pitfalls as we go along, but for now here's the unboxing.

First thing you'll notice is that they have accounted for G's in all directions, not just going "back" like the moroso pan does. Moving inside you find that the sump is now in the middle of the pan instead of to the side. Once the pickup is modified to sit comfortably low and center they begin the real work.

The pickup is boxed in what I'd call the perfect pressure trap. Notice 3 things - 1 is that they made real CanAm style reverse trap doors, and that these doors sit in a Diagonal direction. Very clever thinking on their part because the oil will not be crushing against any one door at a given typical G angle. This will also help flow the oil back into the trap faster.

Then they varied the support sump drain holes based on where the oil 'sits' the most while racing so that it drains equally around the trap. Next per my request they added a 10an fitting for the stock turbo oil drain back instead of relying on that weak hard flange setup that always leaks on our downpipes.

On top of this I've got the Tomei oil 'slicer' and new oem bolts. Add some 3bond and we should be back to better, faster, stronger status. I've been told the pan holds 7L, naturally from kewi's. This equals to about 7.4 quarts which is another quart more then moroso . I'm very satisfied with the weld and finish quality overall, and look forward to the install!

Also, small teaser of the garage coming along. Hondaguy, this one's for you

PM for banner details, try to keep this about oil.

Last edited by Balrok; Jun 15, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Install was a PITA for me, but for those of you with access to lifts it should be as easy as any oem pan. The Tomei scraper and modified pickup bolted up with ease. Got to see the status of the crank and rods and all look like new still.

Here's the installed pics, pan only. From the comments later in the thread you asked if the dumps would still work. That'll of course depend on the routing. The AMS pan for example was the width of a fist out front but stuck out .5 inches from my LICP. This one only sticks out about an inch past the block (looking straight up). From what I can tell it's got plenty of options for dumps. Also using the AN fittings on the turbo drain is....interesting. The drain itself seems to be positioned biased towards the cold side, so when you get things bolted up there you cannot spin the ginormous 10an nut because the points contact the cold side. Which kills the convenience of having it but it's still better on the pan side at least.

Last edited by Balrok; Jul 6, 2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Reserve 2
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
How low does this sit relative to the AMS (moroso) pan? Really would like something that doesn't hang as low as that one does on my car currently.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
interesting. looks like a very well designed pan and with oem fitment, so less chance of leaks. looking forward to the feedback or data. some times, something may look good in theory but doesn't really work in the real world application. the ASM pan looks good at first but it didn't help oil starvation at all with right turns. if anything the AMS pan dropped oil pressure quicker than the oem pan, but drop lower than oem pan. so i put the oem pan back on. i think any aftermarket oil pan for 8/9 should concentrate on controlling oil starvation for right turns. i've never seen oil issue with left turns, braking or accel. during left turns, oil rush to the right which is where the pickup is anyways. but during right turns, oil rush away from the pickup to where the shallow part of the pan is.

and the worse part is most tracks are clockwise, so more right turns than left turn.

also, there's no such thing as Mitsubishi Motorsports. Mitsubishi doesn't participate in any form of racing. and there's no future for the Evo platform. just a hondaguy hatin on sh!tsubishi

Last edited by honda-guy; Jun 16, 2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

From the looks of it the Moroso pan sits about .5 inches lower then this one so you should be good there. From my data the moroso pan didn't drop below 58psi even on RA's turn 12, but I didn't have the DL1 before then so you'll have to compare Nate or Kevin's back to back data.

Someone post another butthurt for hondaboy
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How much does the oil pan cost?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
From the looks of it the Moroso pan sits about .5 inches lower then this one so you should be good there. From my data the moroso pan didn't drop below 58psi even on RA's turn 12, but I didn't have the DL1 before then so you'll have to compare Nate or Kevin's back to back data.

i didn't have datalog for oil pressure, i just go by the in car video of the oil pressure gauge. NJMP Lightning track have a high speed 180* right turn that kills tires and drop oil pressure for long duration. it's a good spot for me to compare oil pressure drop.

watch this video in high res, and look at the middle gauge, that's the oil pressure gauge. with stock oil pan.

Last edited by honda-guy; Jun 16, 2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by miragevo
How much does the oil pan cost?
About the same as the AMS pan, round 650 US with your pan and pickup. New pan and pickup range from 120-150 usually.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

^ so they modify the pickup also?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
i didn't have datalog for oil pressure, i just go by the in car video of the oil pressure gauge. NJMP Lightning track have a high speed 180* right turn that kills tires and drop oil pressure for long duration. it's a good spot for me to compare oil pressure drop.

watch this video in high res, and look at the middle gauge, that's the oil pressure gauge. with stock oil pan.
Wow.

Has anyone actually lost an engine due to this? It seems like since we don't have an overly great solution everyone has had many hours on the track with the pressure dropping like that and engines that have been living through it.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It bothers me every event, and I "only" autox. I use a zietronix to log oil pressure, and oil pressure drops in every right hander (including slaloms) and 1st gear acceleration. Having 315 a7s and a little whp really shows the weakness of the stock system. Never tried the ams pan based on hondaguy's feedback, just run extra oil and kiggly hla.

My safeguard is running high HTHS rated oil, so bearings survive short oil starvations. Currently running amsoil dominator 15w50.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looking forward to real data on this pan. I have been debating going dry sump since the motor build, but a sub $1k solution would be awesome.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by psushoe
Looking forward to real data on this pan. I have been debating going dry sump since the motor build, but a sub $1k solution would be awesome.
That's pretty much my reasoning. Dry sump is nice esp if it's because racecar, however the price difference is still too steep for me. Based on the feedback from some of the exotic TA guys in AU this has worked well for them, then with the design and OEM fit plus more clearance, win win win.

But yes they modify the pickup as well because it moves to the center of the sump, about an inch difference from memory.

Historically it's been down to many different variables coming together in order to produce a grenade. We've seen uber fast drivers out west on an AMS pan AND a 3 quart accusump and still drop in the sub 10 psi range, while others on stock pans haven't gone below 30. Tires, track, temp, grip, oil life, oil level, bearing life, tune, fuel, etc etc etc. I also use DOM 15w50.

Last edited by Balrok; Jun 16, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok

Ok thanks. Be interesting to see how this performs and holds up

Quick Reply: RaceFab wet sump pan