Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

oil temps/pressure at the track?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 02:16 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts

i do HPDE all year. summer temps get above 100*F.

what is a safe oil temp and pressure to run? i occasionally do the full, 20min sessions. i've added temp and pressure gauges to keep an eye on things.

engine is an OEM build with King standard bearings for mains and rods. i don't rev the car above OEM limit (though i can), if that matters.

i've searched because i'm 99% sure i saw a thread on this.. but i can't find it. any info or links would be hugely appreciated.

thanks, in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
180-200 is ideal. Good oil can deal with 250-300, though I wouldn't do a 20 minute session at 250+ the whole time though. If you consistently see 250* oil temps, I would consider a cooler upgrade..
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:57 PM
kaj

Works for me. I want to clock the gauges to have desired values pointing straight up. I haven't tracked the car in a year so can't remember what temps I was seeing.
I have no clue on pressure.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressure is dependent on throttle and rpm, so not sure you'll have a number to shoot for, it really varies.

I agree with what letsgetthisdone said about the temps. Personally, my evo tends to not get over 230, even on 100 degree days. I would definitely take a cooldown lap mid session if I saw temps over 250 routinely.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:47 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Creatre
Pressure is dependent on throttle and rpm, so not sure you'll have a number to shoot for, it really varies.
definitely. as long as i have "if lower than.." or "if higher than.." numbers, that's okay. i can angle the gauge accordingly.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
definitely. as long as i have "if lower than.." or "if higher than.." numbers, that's okay. i can angle the gauge accordingly.
Where are you planning to put the temp sensor at?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 08:19 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by evo_nation
Where are you planning to put the temp sensor at?
easiest way is a port on the oil filter housing. i could get an adapter to run one where my OEM sensor is (oil pan drain plug), but that's more work, money, and i really don't like a wire coming from there.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You want temp at the pan because that's what the bearings see. I've been running 250 lately which I'm not happy about, but I dinged my oem cooler 2 events ago. Going to a 25 row setrab over the winter...I can only get 3-4 laps before I hit 250 and have to back off for two laps to get back to 240ish. Waiting on an analysis of amsoil 10w40 to come back...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Oil temp will high right after the pump (or low if it goes through the cooler first). Need to measure it in the pan..
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 AM
kaj

argh. fine. i'll order that fitting too LOL.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I don't think changing the location to the pan is needed. Its 5-6 qts of oil going full chat, its going to get hot over time. Even if it is a small difference in temps I wouldn't want some wire/sensor hanging that low. If you are running thick oil for track days and it gets to around 275* its time to take a cool down lap.
Its more important to focus on oil pressure then temps if you are running slicks. Having a good pan or an accusump is a bandaid for the right hand corner/oil starvation problem with the platform.

Sidenote running a ralliart 71* Celsius Tstat will also help to keep temps down for track days .I went from running 190-192* to 175-180* with it for the most part. I've run my car at 450whp and 10 minute sessions and its gotten to 200* water and 250* oil with an ams pan and R comps fwiw.

This link has a lot of information in it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...on-thread.html

Last edited by Abacus; Aug 29, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 01:45 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Abacus
I don't think changing the location to the pan is needed. Its 5-6 qts of oil going full chat, its going to get hot over time. Even if it is a small difference in temps I wouldn't want some wire/sensor hanging that low. If you are running thick oil for track days and it gets to around 275* its time to take a cool down lap.
Its more important to focus on oil pressure then temps if you are running slicks. Having a good pan or an accusump is a bandaid for the right hand corner/oil starvation problem with the platform.

Sidenote running a ralliart 71* Celsius Tstat will also help to keep temps down for track days .I went from running 190-192* to 175-180* with it for the most part. I've run my car at 450whp and 10 minute sessions and its gotten to 200* water and 250* oil with an ams pan and R comps fwiw.

This link has a lot of information in it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...on-thread.html
my drain plug already has a wire coming from it. it's the OEM one. it's a bit scary, but i've never had it hit anything. still.. i prefer to not do one there. i was looking at welding in a bulkhead fitting. using the oil filter housing would be nice since it's up and out of the way. i'm pretty sure the housing port i plan to use for temp is pre-cooler.. but i'm not sure. i have yet to figure that out.
i don't run too think of an oil as all my clearances are OEM, so kinda tight. to be honest, i've never run heavier than OEM weight oil. i've never had a gauge to see pressures, though.
i only run street tires. Hankook R-S3, to be specific. no crazy G forces here. my pan is OEM with a baffle welded in. it's a simple circle welded around the pick up (Buschur). better than nothing, i figured.
i've tried a cooler thermostat, but i couldn't keep the car at temps for closed loop operation, so i took it out (i drive it on weekends, etc).
i'll check out that link now. thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'ved run for 30 mins non stop at 260F and no problem. Just need to have a GOOD RACING OIL
Old Aug 29, 2015, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If you want to go the oil filter route you can use something like this: http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...?productid=330.

Been running that for years. On the temps, I was hoping to see it on my videos, but the guages angle to the driver and away from the camera so it's hard to see.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The wire doesn't hang as low as you think out of the pan. I pulled it taught up top and ziptied it to the abs pump, it's not even the lowest object, but now i run the splitter all the time which acts as a skid plate too so zero worries. I have seen 20 degree difference when measuring in other than the pan.

Quick Reply: oil temps/pressure at the track?