Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2016 STU Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup... The OSG guys offered that car to me a few months ago right after nationals. Probably shouldn't have passed it up.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Over the weekend I disconnected the rear sway bar, pulled the spring from a rear damper, mounted the 245/40R17 17x9.5" +38 setup and compressed everything all the way up in to the wheel well. There was more clearance than I expected on both sides of the wheel, and my fenders aren't even rolled completely flat yet.
Great info, thanks!
I was eyeballing it myself and was fairly confident we'd have the clearance needed, thank you for actually doing some investigating.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd4me
Great info, thanks!
I was eyeballing it myself and was fairly confident we'd have the clearance needed, thank you for actually doing some investigating.
Nothing's certain until I mount tires and do some hard cornering, but between my measurements and RJones' experience as well as some info from griceiv and Dallas J in some older threads, I think there's a good chance that it can be made to work within the letter of the STU rules.

I'm going to wait until Bridegstone (hopefully) does another mail-in-rebate for tires in the spring to get the tires, though. These things are really expensive. On the plus side, maybe the extra weight of the bigger wheels will be offset my all of the weight removal going on in my wallet right now.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it cool for 20mm spacers on the front in SCCA events?
I noticed in the SCCA solo rule book in the "Street" category you can do a max spacer of 7MM. In the ST category it says the Street rules apply, plus what more is listed in ST...but the rules don't say anything about spacers in ST class ----so I figure no change from the street rules. You have to go up to the next category SP, and it does list "any spacer" as allowable.
I'm confused, with a +38 offset you gotta do at least an 18mm spacer to clear our calipers.
What do you guys think?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evogirl68
Is it cool for 20mm spacers on the front in SCCA events?
I noticed in the SCCA solo rule book in the "Street" category you can do a max spacer of 7MM. In the ST category it says the Street rules apply, plus what more is listed in ST...but the rules don't say anything about spacers in ST class ----so I figure no change from the street rules. You have to go up to the next category SP, and it does list "any spacer" as allowable.
I'm confused, with a +38 offset you gotta do at least an 18mm spacer to clear our calipers.
What do you guys think?
Yeah, the SCCA rules are pretty difficult to navigate. Spacers are allowed in ST*
Old Jan 30, 2016, 07:20 PM

I knew you would know how to read the crazy rule book, thanks!!!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evogirl68
I knew you would know how to read the crazy rule book, thanks!!!
for those wondering, below are the relevant rules. "Any wheels are allowed" removes the offset requirement, which in-effect makes wheel spacers... ok

13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with thefollowing:
A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it doesnot have an offset more than ±7.00 mm(±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car. Theresultant change in track dimensions isallowed.
B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1”from the standard part.
Wheel spacers are permitted provided the resultantcombination complies with the offsetrequirements of this Section. On vehicles supplied with an OE wheel spacer, thewheel spacer shall be considered as a part of the wheel.

14.4 WHEELS
Any wheels are allowed with widths up to the following (OEwheels exceeding these maximums are not permitted) (in.):
STF, STS, & STR (AWD) ....................... 7.5
STX (AWD) ......................................... 8.0
STX & STR (2WD) ................................ 9.0
STP (independent rear suspension) .... 10.0
STU, STP (solid axle rear suspension) .. 11.0
Old Feb 18, 2016, 06:26 PM

New wheels and tires are on for me. Volk 18x9.5 +22 with 265 35 RE71Rs.
Alignment done today. Trying to purchase Ohlin's.
This is going to be a fun year! I'm also going to double up on my driving and compete in the Denver Autocross season AND the Time Attack series! Wohoo!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dr.Chris
New wheels and tires are on for me. Volk 18x9.5 +22 with 265 35 RE71Rs.
Alignment done today. Trying to purchase Ohlin's.
This is going to be a fun year! I'm also going to double up on my driving and compete in the Denver Autocross season AND the Time Attack series! Wohoo!
Sounds like a fun season for you.

Ohlins are a good choice. Consider having them revalved right out of the gate if you're buying new. Some shops like will revalve them for free if you buy the shocks and new springs from them at the same time.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 07:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Sounds like a fun season for you.

Ohlins are a good choice. Consider having them revalved right out of the gate if you're buying new. Some shops like will revalve them for free if you buy the shocks and new springs from them at the same time.
Yep. Try these guys:

http://performanceshock.com/

I was about to buy some Ohlins from them and get them revalved out of the gate before buying a set of used Motons. And after I bought the Motons, I had PSI revalve them. Great customer service, and they sent me a bunch of dynos since I asked (though that might have been extra, can't remember).
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:31 AM

I will check them out, thanks!

Are bushings recommended for the suspension on the Evo X?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

+1 on Performance Shock

Originally Posted by Dr.Chris
I will check them out, thanks!

Are bushings recommended for the suspension on the Evo X?
I consider bushings to be a very marginal upgrade. They certainly won't hurt performance, but the improvements aren't exactly huge either. They will make your car louder and less comfortable for daily driving purposes, though.

If you do start swapping bushings out, just make sure that they're STU compliant first. There are several rules in the rulebook around which bushings are and are not acceptable.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as an alternative, no argument with PSI, but for Ohlins, esp if you are on the east side of the country... Ohlins USA in NC has been great to deal with, lower overall cost to rebuild or revalve, and I do trust Ohlins to best handle their own shocks. Just voicing a good alternative.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Another alternative is to use MCS doubles! Version without external canisters would be in the same price range as Ohlins, unless I am mistaken. Since you don't care of what gas pressure you need to run in those for STU, you might not need to go to more expensive option.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I consider bushings to be a very marginal upgrade. They certainly won't hurt performance, but the improvements aren't exactly huge either. They will make your car louder and less comfortable for daily driving purposes, though.

If you do start swapping bushings out, just make sure that they're STU compliant first. There are several rules in the rulebook around which bushings are and are not acceptable.
Agreed, especially on an Evo X where the bushings are still probably pretty healthy.

However, there are a couple different bushings which have offset mounting and therefore have added benefit, and offset bushings are within ST rules. I don't know the X offerings extremely well, but usual suspects are the rear bushing for the Front Lower Control arm which can be offset to gain more caster, which is good for McStrut suspensions-- I believe Whiteline offers one which fits all ST rules. Rear bump steer bushings are along the same lines.

Still a relatively marginal gain but more so than some others would be shock mount bushings. These aren't offset but stiffer bushings will minimize bushing deflection and therefore allow shocks to do more of the work; and fancy shocks should do a better job than rubber bushings.

Quick Reply: 2016 STU Discussion!