Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Auto-X newbie here. Need help with confirming SCCA class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-X newbie here. Need help with confirming SCCA class

Setting up where I went wrong - I did my first couple of events summer of 2014. Because I enjoyed my first taste of auto-x so much I figured while the car was apart for a clutch/HG - I'd have the engine, TM, & TC rebuilt to handle the upcoming abuse of regular auto-x and I also want to do some track driving in the future. I did all the dis/reassembling myself it took so long I missed the 2015 season.

Here in lies the problem because I was a moron and didn't check the SCCA rulebook first before deciding to stroke the motor and buy a BR stage 3 head with cams - I unknowingly bumped myself all the way up to Street Modified, correct? (Once my novice status is over that is) I'm hoping someone is gonna tell me I'm misinterpreting the rules. haha. There's no chance of me being in any one of the Street Touring classes, right? Regardless of suspension, cooling, tire size, aero mods, etc. - with a worked motor I'd be in SM.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are correct. Modding pretty much anything in the engine will put you in SM. Since you are just starting out, trying to learn with a powerful car in autocross will be harder to handle then before. But if you aren't trying to compete nationally I wouldn't worry about it. Just get as much seat time as you can.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Hah, no. You cant make major motor changes and expect to not be in a modified class, in this case SM.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unfortunately this happens to a lot of people. They end up modding their car before they realize they love the sport. Then when they fall in love with the sport, they realize they are in too high a class to be competitive.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Roger Roger. I hear you on the importance of getting out there as much as possible and not focusing on the competition. The car still has the stock turbo. Put down 311whp 357wtq @24 psi on a mustang in Nov.

I've got a very basic suspension setup MR bilsteins w/swift springs, 27mm F 24mm R sway bars, and FRC kit. ES F LCA bushings. I'm sure that'll need improving after I expunge my novice status

The biggest thing I need to figure out for 2016 are wheels and tires. A lot of threads and advice out there for which is the best setup. Also there's driver's preference to consider as well. I've read a few threads but still need to do more research. At the moment it seems like most SM cars have heavily modified F+R fender areas to get 285 width tires in there. For 2016 it would be nice to get a set of 17" wheels in a width/offset that I can run 255s on as a novice without fender mods then if s**t gets serious run 285s on those same wheels in SM. If that's not really possible I can use my bbs mr wheels for 2016 and kick the wheel/tire decision down the road.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

The reality of SCCA classing is that if its legal then its required on the national level, but if you aren't on the national level you probably don't have much to worry about. Local average competition is just that, average. I can show up in a stock evo and still be competitive in local BS, STU, ASP, or SM but only cause those classes don't really have any hardcore subscribers.

Just go out and have fun with your car for a few years till you decide to get serious and then either mod for the class you're in or buy a car for the class you want to play in.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If it looks stock with a stroker how is anyone going to know?? Lol
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Makes total sense. I just need to get there and race on a consistent basis. Hopefully I'll make it to many as many of the NER events as possible. Got my SCCA membership all ready to go. Everything else let the chips fall where they may.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You'll have some good competition to help you get fast quick in the NER
Old Feb 12, 2016, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet. Good to hear! I've read the more recent longer BSP and BS threads. Saw some NER guys all over those threads.

From an autocross standpoint would it be better to go with a RpF1 setup of:
17x8.5 +30 with 255/40/17
Or
18x9.5 +38 (w/appr. Spacers) with 275/40/18

Whats more important the lowest total weight of the wheel+tire or the maximum width of the tire?

If I had the side wall width or offsets wrong please correct. Thanks!

Would like to make slight to no mods of the rear fender area if I can help it. Especially this first season.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Tire is always number one. Get the 18x10 +38 rpf1. You can put 255-295s on them. The 17s will leave you limited for future growth.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 04:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
LOL, didnt realize it was you who started this post

Youve got the right guys involved
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not saying it's the widest but a common set up for us is the 17x9.5 +38 with +20mm spacers and arp studs in the front. Will eventually move up to 18's but it's all about seat time for me and tires are cheaper for 17's
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The SM competition in NER is pretty weak. They have some hack that built a few 240s... that won the SM title four years in a row.

Welcome to SM! Always glad to gain more to the class. Hope to see you catch the bug and make it to some national level events in the future.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
If it looks stock with a stroker how is anyone going to know?? Lol
haha. Good point!

It might pass as a street prepared or touring car???? Here's a shot of the engine bay.

In all honesty, if I'm in SM so be it. Might as well give it a shot!
Attached Thumbnails Auto-X newbie here. Need help with confirming SCCA class-0216161212-1024x573-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Auto-X newbie here. Need help with confirming SCCA class