Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
One I was referring to was "more rebound" part...
Old Mar 14, 2017, 07:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
One I was referring to was "more rebound" part...
"more rebound" meaning the shock extends faster. If it's underdampened/extends too fast (has more rebound), you are in for a rough ride.

Like I said, I think I'm not very good at explaining things. LOL.

Maybe this guy says it better

Old Mar 14, 2017, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
jealous you've already been able to start your season... first event for me this weekend, very exciting! going to drive both the mini & the evo. excited to see how i do on 17x9.5s
Old Mar 14, 2017, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Single adjustable?
No, I have double adjustables.

jealous you've already been able to start your season... first event for me this weekend, very exciting! going to drive both the mini & the evo. excited to see how i do on 17x9.5s
The season really doesn't end in California

From March through August, you would probably be able to autocross every weekend if you were willing to drive upwards of 4-5 hours up/down the state. I'm lucky enough to be within ~3 hours of some good sites (Crows Landing, Marina Airport, and the upcoming repave of the Stockton Fairgrounds), plus some smaller local stuff that's 10-45 minutes away from me. My last event in 2016 was mid-December and my first one of 2017 was mid-January, so I was basically off for the holidays
Old Mar 20, 2017, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
In the other thread you mentioned using JRZ RS Pros at one point. How do those compare to your current MCS shocks?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Construct
In the other thread you mentioned using JRZ RS Pros at one point. How do those compare to your current MCS shocks?
I think the MCS shocks I have can do what the JRZs do for the most part (in terms of compression and rebound adjustability). The JRZs had more droop travel for the rear shocks, but also didn't have a slotted hole in the front struts for the eccentric camber bolt. I think the car rode a bit better with the same spring rates (700f/1000r) on the JRZs, but ride quality isn't exactly good with either shock at those spring rates. The JRZs are also quite a bit more expensive, well above 4k the last time I checked. Also, the adjusters on the MCS 2-ways (non-remotes) makes life a lot easier when you need to make adjustments, no more having to get on the ground or using a jack to make adjustments
Old Mar 20, 2017, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim3142
I think the MCS shocks I have can do what the JRZs do for the most part (in terms of compression and rebound adjustability). The JRZs had more droop travel for the rear shocks, but also didn't have a slotted hole in the front struts for the eccentric camber bolt. I think the car rode a bit better with the same spring rates (700f/1000r) on the JRZs, but ride quality isn't exactly good with either shock at those spring rates. The JRZs are also quite a bit more expensive, well above 4k the last time I checked. Also, the adjusters on the MCS 2-ways (non-remotes) makes life a lot easier when you need to make adjustments, no more having to get on the ground or using a jack to make adjustments
If you mount remotes properly, you don't need to get on the ground . They were in the trunk when they were on my car.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RJones
If you mount remotes properly, you don't need to get on the ground . They were in the trunk when they were on my car.
That's true, I just didn't want to cut my car up for shocks that I was going to have to take off eventually
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim3142
That's true, I just didn't want to cut my car up for shocks that I was going to have to take off eventually
With quick disconnects at least the trunk holes are not that bad.

https://goo.gl/photos/reNBxrbTFjTDsuWY8
Old Mar 21, 2017, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
With quick disconnects at least the trunk holes are not that bad. https://goo.gl/photos/reNBxrbTFjTDsuWY8
Yeah my JRZs have them, but we we only had the shocks on the car for Nats so it didn't make sense to drill holes in his trunk.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally, I was planning on attending 1 Pro Solo this season (Crows Landing), but due to some enabling from some friends, I decided to sign up for the Fontana Pro Solo next weekend as well. Figured I might as well dive in to the format (I've never done a Pro Solo before), and with some luck and good driving, maybe even qualify for the Pro Finale, who knows?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Finally wore down my set of RE-71Rs from Nationals enough to the point where I don't feel bad about replacing them, was able to get 130 runs out of them which was pretty surprising since I only got about 80 runs out of my set of 255/40/17 RE-71Rs last year. I did drive on the street more with the 255s though - maybe 3-4k miles more than I did with the 265s.

Also, I finally remembered to do a little side-by-side photo of the 255 Rival S 1.0 and the 265 RE-71R:

255s were mounted on 17x9.5" RPF-1s, 265s were mounted on 18x10" RPF-1s. I didn't have a caliper on hand but my trusty tape measure says the tread width difference is around 0.75" between the two.

The 265 RE-71Rs were replaced by the first set of 265/35/18 RE-71Rs I bought last year (bought a fresh set for Nats since the first set had ~50 runs on them by mid-August last year, wanted full tread in case of rain at Nats). I noticed at last week's local event that my Nats set was feeling a bit off on my last 2 runs, the grip started to fall off where it was sticking earlier - tire temps were fine and I didn't even need to spray (ambient temps were around 70 degrees tops). These have just been sitting in my garage for the last 7 months, hopefully they'll be useful at the Fontana Pro

Last edited by Jim3142; Mar 25, 2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Fontana Pro is in the books, had a great time at my first ever Pro and left wondering why I hadn't done one earlier . Before last weekend, I had launched my car hard exactly zero times in nearly 7 years of ownership, so anticipation was high for people who know me . Bought 8 tickets for practice starts, launching off a tree was fun and I was able to cut some decent lights (.504 in practice, .520 during the event), so not too bad for newbie I suppose.

Though people were afraid of sub-30 second courses for the event, they were really fun and quite challenging to get right - both sides had their own little quirks as well so that added to the challenge of trying to get a good time. I felt like I had a solid left run at the end but was never able to piece together a good run on the right; Solostorm showed me that I had good bits and pieces from various right side runs but I wasn't able to make it all come together for a run. Still, happy with 2nd place at my first Pro and definitely no shame in losing to Bryan

The Bridgestones I was using were very sketchy on my first 2 runs; the car wouldn't really stop or turn at all until midway through the third run. A friend who was helping me with tire pressures commented that there was no heat building up until after the third run, when the fronts felt blazing hot compared to how they were before. Also important to note that the car didn't break or have any mechanical issues from the launching and general abuse, clutch felt normal on the ~240 mile drive home so that was reassuring. Can't wait for the Crows Pro in less than 3 weeks!

Left:

Right:
Old Apr 4, 2017, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
well done! that's impressive for your first time out. car looks great too, looks like it turns very well
Old Apr 4, 2017, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't trust my EVO X stock clutch to endure this at the NJ PRO. I will most likely be codriving something else. I still find it crazy you had 3-4 tenths per side at the 60 foot mark and Bryan still came around. Insane.

Quick Reply: STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE