Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 SCCA Solo ASP Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
And that's what I mean. Grice certainly hasn't left anything out there on the table. Update/Backdate with RS, no AC, anything light they can bolt on, etc. I would expect them to be close or below 2900. Just from my half assed effort of weight loss in SM trim.
IIRC their car was in the low 2900 range 5-6 years ago. I'd imagine he'd have figured out how to pull some weight out since then. Sub 2800 should be doable in SM with some ingenuity and money (my plan gets me to ~2820), so I'd think 100 or so lbs heavier in SP isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Originally Posted by JJwins
And it didn't rub anywhere else? Not the shocks or the body? Any spacers needed?
The same buddy from the pics mentioned he had to run a spacer in the front.... which I'm sure is set-up dependent.

This topic is particularly concerning to me as I'm about 2 seconds from pulling the trigger on a set of wheels and now not sure which offset to get. I was originally thinking to go with a +22 with a 295 A7 but now I'm wondering if that offset would work if I decided to go with a 315 A7. I suppose I could always use a spacer on the +22 but the +22 wheel I am looking at is twice the price of the +15.
There wasn't any rubbing that I can recall with the +15. I think it had 10mm spacers up front, but that was just to widen the track width a little, not necessary for fitment. Don't mind the SM classing, it was a BSP legal car that I was just running in SM for points while mine was down.

Old Feb 1, 2017, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
can the X take the IX in ASP?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 03:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I would venture to say no. Though I think a Subaru could stand a better chance.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

A Subaru did win in 2015. The secret to getting them to turn seems to be the OSG front diff
Old Feb 1, 2017, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
IIRC their car was in the low 2900 range 5-6 years ago. I'd imagine he'd have figured out how to pull some weight out since then. Sub 2800 should be doable in SM with some ingenuity and money (my plan gets me to ~2820), so I'd think 100 or so lbs heavier in SP isn't out of the realm of possibility.

There wasn't any rubbing that I can recall with the +15. I think it had 10mm spacers up front, but that was just to widen the track width a little, not necessary for fitment. Don't mind the SM classing, it was a BSP legal car that I was just running in SM for points while mine was down.

So no rubbing with even a 10mm spacer upfront? How low was the car? Do you have any pics and alignment specs? Roughly?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Ride height can be seen in this pic

I think the alignment was somewhere in the -4f/-2r range w/ 0 toe.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
And that's what I mean. Grice certainly hasn't left anything out there on the table. Update/Backdate with RS, no AC, anything light they can bolt on, etc. I would expect them to be close or below 2900. Just from my half assed effort of weight loss in SM trim.
2950 depending on fuel load. I refuse to spend money to take weight off of the rear end.

I've seen one ASP evo that was 2880 but that was with a 1lb lithium battery, single plate clutch and running on fumes. Takes too much effort to maintain a car like that though and takes the fun out of it.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
2950 depending on fuel load. I refuse to spend money to take weight off of the rear end.

I've seen one ASP evo that was 2880 but that was with a 1lb lithium battery, single plate clutch and running on fumes. Takes too much effort to maintain a car like that though and takes the fun out of it.
May I ask how many lbs the a/c and manual window worth? I supposed swapping out the auto windows is legal by itself...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
I coulda sworn I've read that having different offsets front to back on the X screws with the AWD system. Myth?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't matter, as long as you have the same rolling diameter you're fine.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by white_turbo
May I ask how many lbs the a/c and manual window worth? I supposed swapping out the auto windows is legal by itself...
I seem to recall the windows not being worth the effort because once you add the weight of the cranking mechanism, the difference is negligible. Someone else might have some hard data though.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by griceiv
I refuse to spend money to take weight off of the rear end.

Another place we agree on . Not hard to lose another 50lbs in the back but I cant see a real noticeable benefit over finding more up front.

Plus, when you come to SM you'll just add it back in in Ballast . I figure its hard to beat diff bracket weight for location.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by white_turbo
There is a weight reduction thread hiding over in the electrical/audio/security (???) forum that has a lot of info, even if most of it doesn't apply to ASP it's a good read. The big hitters for us were the seats (NRG carbon...super cheap and light), cat back exhaust (greddy Ti, weighs like 8 lbs total compared to like 50 lbs stock), and the A/C (30 lbs).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Have any of you had good luck with the wave track front diff?? Also what are thought on rear diffs...Heard good things about TRE but which one works best for Autox? For EVO 9.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

I had the Wavetrac front diff and just recently swapped it out for Mfactory set to 1way and 60% lockup (set with plate stack). Wavetrac is 1.5way so causes some binding with heavy engine braking and high steering angle. Which exactly when you are trying to lift and get the front to tuck in. I fought the lift turn-in for a few years before being enlightened to the likely cause.

Wavetrac is fine though, basically works like stock but much stronger. Great on track where steering angles and engine braking are much less.

Quick Reply: 2017 SCCA Solo ASP Discussion