Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 B-Street discussion...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^You're welcome
Old Feb 26, 2017, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Checked my front Porterfield R4S pads and they are pretty much same as new. What seem to be happening was that lately, I have been doing only short driving sessions, so in cold weather that didn't make those pads to feel good. After few harder stops which brought them up in temps, they seem to be back to normal!

It would be shame if something else was happening since I really like how those felt on the car last season. Definitely the best modulation ability from all the pads I tried on EVO. They might even have touch more grip compare to DS2500, but this could be due to better feel too.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Are the aftermarket pads noticeable improvements over stock pads? I've only driven my X on stock pads but can't really imagine anything being that much better at autox speeds.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

There are several factors in play here:
  1. Once your OEM pads are gone, it makes no sense to pay what dealer is asking for them, when you can go aftermarket. DS2500 are pretty much the same pads as the OEM, so nothing will change much there. But, there are lots of other options as well.
  2. Depending on pad type, you will see huge difference from the OEM. Read some of the stuff I wrote for Carbotech AX6 - bite ability is greatly increased over the OEM. And, there are others as well that would be similar. You should try to find that balance that will give you enough stopping power for these speeds and still way to modulate them. Previous ones didn't work for me and current ones are pretty nice. And, there are so many more to choose from!!
  3. I guess, other things that time at the autoX doesn't depend on it are also important and should be place here as well. On that list you would have stuff like noise and dust. Also, some of the pads don't come alive until you put some heat into them, which is a compromise for them being able to go much higher up in temps.

Last edited by MrAWD; Mar 3, 2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I put the girdisc SS pads on my GF's MR. Can't tell a difference from stock except a bit less dust..
Old Mar 10, 2017, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
less dust than stock or stock had less dust?

I'm gonna have to make a decision soon with the Mini (HS) - new pads, prob new rotors too. can we go any stock-sized rotor or does it have to be a blank? not sure either with the pad situation. These cars don't need a lot of bite at all so I'm probably gonna go with a street pad.. stoptech something something, or even generic. I need gentle bite & modulation, without giving up hard stopping bite
Old Mar 10, 2017, 02:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
SS pads seem to have less dust than stock.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
less dust than stock or stock had less dust?

I'm gonna have to make a decision soon with the Mini (HS) - new pads, prob new rotors too. can we go any stock-sized rotor or does it have to be a blank? not sure either with the pad situation. These cars don't need a lot of bite at all so I'm probably gonna go with a street pad.. stoptech something something, or even generic. I need gentle bite & modulation, without giving up hard stopping bite
For street-able pads I have always lowed the way R4S feels. Modulation ability of them is great and they can stop hard as well. That was the reason I tried them on EVO and it is pretty good! Other cars that had same results as my EVO are 2G and newer WRX. I risked it on this one and got a biscuit!!

As of the pads, you can use aftermarket ones, but they have to be the same as OEM whatever that means. I heard that people will not really protest you for it if it is slightly off, but I decide not use Girodisk in my case because they were 1 or 2 mm smaller - lighter as well. If your OEM are not slotted/drilled, you can't switch to those. I ended up going custom from Coleman Racing and they were pretty good for the price!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

I am thinking about trying some front toe out to improve turn in. Any suggestions as to where I should start? I have been running 0 toe all around (though now, 10k miles after the initial alignment, the car apparently has some front toe in and rear toe out...)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Prime12
I am thinking about trying some front toe out to improve turn in. Any suggestions as to where I should start? I have been running 0 toe all around (though now, 10k miles after the initial alignment, the car apparently has some front toe in and rear toe out...)
Toe out would definitely help there! But, EVO always had fast turn in and I never felt it was lacking in that department, so I also keep it at zero. I might put some toe in in the rear to tame that side of the car a bit, but that is another story.

If you do want to try it, you can just do small increments and see where it feels the best. Have in mind that any toe will have more wear on your tires during regular driving. Although, I have seen some posts about having a good spot with combination of camber, that doesn't destroys the tires as much, but helps handling.

Try it and than let as know!!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
General rule, 1/32nds out for every degree of camber works good wear wise.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
Finally an event worth writing about!!

Results are here: Final and Pax

As you can see, 3rd fastest time in BS!! My standard S2000 opponent got me beat again by the typical margin!! So, what is so great about that same old story??

Night before event I saw that famous Panda was taking rest after Nationals and one of driver who is usually driving it was listed in ASP in his daily driving street tired EVO 9. I offered my car and we got some extra result out there from a guy with a jacket or two. On the top, he is also familiar with EVOs, since he still has one. It is still just EVO 9, but nobody is perfect!!

Weather was not cooperating in the morning and it was drizzling till early afternoon. Still,it was slowly drying and each run was better than one before. Afternoon was more even, but it could have start drizzling at any moment.

On first 3 runs in the morning Dave hit total of 24 cones, which might be some kind of a record on its own!! I thing there are few that he missed! Afternoon was much cleaner and only cones come on his last run (2 of them, which was also the fastest raw. A whole second faster than me in my own car!!

He said that there was a bit more time out there, but not much. Additional half a second the most! Run in mid 60s with heaviest of EVOs would be pretty respectful! His only complain was that car is too willing to rotate and it does it all the time. He should have tried TARMAC mode to see the real meaning of rotation! Basically, he was saying that if rear end would behave a bit more normal and still rotate when needed, things would be amazing. He was also happy with power application even though his daily is slightly modified EVO with probably more power than my car. Perhaps, a bit of toe in in the rear could help things in this regard.

BTW, does anyone know how does the toe changes under bump for our cars?

So, this was finally an opportunity to have someone who is really good to drive BS EVO. I knew that I couldn't drive it as it should be driven and I knew there was time I am leaving out there. But, it was almost impossible to know how much that is. With his 6 runs, it looks like EVO could get pretty close to the top guys out there! I am sure if he would have few more events in the car, things could have just improve even more. Is that enough for catching C5? It is really hard to say! Couple events ago current BS National champ was at Devens and he ended up 1.5 sec behind the top guys. Dave managed to be under a second behind them with his dirty run and 1.1 sec with a clean one. Seem to be in the ball park with advantage for EVO. But, Devens is rarely C5 friendly course, so that has to be taken into account as well - slalom heavy course is only good for S2000s!

At the end I have videos of our fastest runs. If someone could put them together so I could see where I lost a whole second it would be great!!

who's awesome

So looks like both the X and IX toes in under bump.

Under rebound X toes out while IX toes in.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

You are for sure! Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

I have been thinking, since the rear wheels toe out under extension, maybe I should try smidge of toe IN for my next alignment, to tame the rear end at slaloms (coupled with front toe out to improve turn in)

anyways, here is the full article. http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/EvoX/...iew/20e_07.pdf
Old Mar 31, 2017, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Prime12
I have been thinking, since the rear wheels toe out under extension, maybe I should try smidge of toe IN for my next alignment, to tame the rear end at slaloms (coupled with front toe out to improve turn in)

anyways, here is the full article. http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/EvoX/...iew/20e_07.pdf
My exact thinking!! For the rear at least!!

Last edited by MrAWD; Mar 31, 2017 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 B-Street discussion...