Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: What would you choose?
Ohlins R&T
78.33%
AST 5100
5.00%
Motion Control singles
6.67%
Penske
0%
Something else in this price range - post up in the thread
10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

$2,000 - $3,000 Coilovers. Let's discuss.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 07:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Gotta be realistic though. Does the average guy have the time to compile enough data to fully utilize and tune 2 ways? I mean at that point you are probably also making adjustments on a per track/course basis to fully realize that adjustability.

Seems over kill for anything but a team TA build or something.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 08:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Top level AutoX certainly needs the flexibility due to the range of lot surface and conditions. But I agree, average setups certainly don't need anything more than a good single adjustable setup. Ohlins are great for that.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:27 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I prefer Ohlins if driving the car on the street at all
I really, like my ASTs, though they are only the 4100. I've always liked their stuff and at least they are adjustable for rebound (I was advised to get a coilover that is rebound adjustable ONLY, not both). They seem fine on the street, though they could use a bit better dampening, IMO.
KWs are okay if you get Clubsports. It's impossible to find anyone to revalve the V3s. I can pretty much promise you won't like the stock valving. Double adjustability on what they call their "street coilover" is a bit odd....and beyond my pay grade to tune LOL
I've heard awesome things about MCS, but no experience. I'd like to try them, though.
Penske - I wish.
Fortune Auto: I really like them. They seem to be doing very well and Terri will build them any way you like. I was ordering a set of these when my ASTs because available.

For my level of driving, I'm thinking any of these would work, so I don't really worry about it. You may be a bit more serious about it, though?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The Ohlins are the ones you want in that price range. Best bang for the buck IMO
Old Feb 9, 2017, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
don't flame for the name, but check out Stance. They have a line of fully custom built stuff and are based right out of Chicago. I've ran them all last season with very good results. good price and AWESOME support.

Old Feb 9, 2017, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Motion Control Suspension.... my o my. That my fellow enthusiast is the best suspesion I have EVER felt in my life. The price is just for shocks and some misc hardware. You have to purchase through a dealer like myself or Speed Freaks etc. The dealer you purchase from will build the coilover for you. MCS just supplies the shocks.

These are real deal motorsports shocks. I have the 1 way. And its just unbelievable the difference going from a $1600 coilover to the MCS.

The best way I can put it, to imagine the difference i felt, is like going from stock to FBO E85 on the Evo LOL. Thats the difference I felt going from one coilover setup to the MCS setup. SAME SPRING RATES

The car feels like a firmer version of stock without any of the body roll. SR 550lb Front 600lb rear. Its just unbelievable. I cant really put it into words. Its amazing.

Name:  MCS%20SuspensionB_zpsktpn1awk.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  260.2 KB
Old Feb 9, 2017, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Or spend a year looking for Unobtainium and top it with SSB Designs Obtainium
Attached Thumbnails ,000 - ,000 Coilovers.  Let's discuss.-ohlin-flag-tophat.jpg  
Old Feb 10, 2017, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
I have installed a couple sets of ohlins R/T on evos and GTRs and it is a great set of coilovers because they are quite comfortable above 20 mph or so.. and work great on fast road driving and track.
I have issues with their stock springs, which are 10/8 and would reccomend something like 8/9 or 9/9 depending on how tail happy you want it to be... I even have a car on 8/10 and that thing is just lairy..

For my own car I decided to experiment a bit and got a set of AST 5300... we shall see how that will work, have no experience yet.

One thing I can say is that the AST has almost double shock travel of the Ohlins.. which could be interesting if the roads are bumpy..
Old Feb 10, 2017, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Or spend a year looking for Unobtainium and top it with SSB Designs Obtainium

yeah... I have just cut off the top mount plate off my AST and am grinding the knuckle mount area for further welding.. on new set of shocks... isnt development great..

Last edited by kikiturbo; Feb 10, 2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I have installed a couple sets of ohlins R/T on evos and GTRs and it is a great set of coilovers because they are quite comfortable above 20 mph or so.. and work great on fast road driving and track.
I have issues with their stock springs, which are 10/8 and would reccomend something like 8/9 or 9/9 depending on how tail happy you want it to be... I even have a car on 8/10 and that thing is just lairy..

For my own car I decided to experiment a bit and got a set of AST 5300... we shall see how that will work, have no experience yet.

One thing I can say is that the AST has almost double shock travel of the Ohlins.. which could be interesting if the roads are bumpy..

which is for me are almost the most important thing, specially on public roads...

can I put 9/9 springs on stock valveing on the Ohlins?

I had that 5300 and I loved it. I won the 2011 Mt Washington hill climb and hold a hill climb record for rally class with them in NC. They are great, but they cost twice as much as the Ohlins LOL They are between my KW V3 and the Reiger s i have it on that rally evo of mine .

The KW V3 back in 2008 were $2600 the AST I think is about $5300, the Reigers with a set ups etc cost well over $12000. But the differences about the same % like between the prices, if not more specially with the Reigers.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 10, 2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

I always say that with suspension you get what you pay for... I got a great deal on AST and decided to take a plunge, needed new experience..
A friend of mine has a full on grN evo 9 with rieger, sachs and proflex dampers... rieger being the best obviously..

I wouldnt say I see the R/T to have too short travel, they really work great out of the box..

yes, 9/9 shouldnt be a problem..
The following users liked this post:
Robevo RS (Feb 10, 2017)
Old Feb 10, 2017, 05:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Thank you to ALL so far who've posted up. There's a lot to think about. I also have read through the "Coilover questions" thread a month or two ago, but I'm revisiting it to try and digest more info the 2nd time around!

I do plan on going to Lincoln from time to time this year, but the lot that I normally autocross in has some pretty harsh areas/bumps. It's far from being completely smooth. Enough to make the higher sprung cars pay for it, and the under sprung cars bottom out their suspension travel and bounce their way out of the rough patches. It's going to be crucial to find the right spring rates.

On my previous evo/AST 4100 setup I was at 10kg Front and 11kg Rear with an adjustable Whiteline rear bar. Normally would run on 255mm street tires. This time around with the 285's I was thinking 12kg/14kg...but I'm hoping it's not too much for this lot!

If indeed that is true about the AST's having twice the travel of the Ohlins, that may have an impact on my purchase decision. Or isn't it THAT big of a deal if the car is sprung as high of rates as I'm leaning towards?

Old Feb 10, 2017, 05:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Motion Control Suspension.... my o my. That my fellow enthusiast is the best suspesion I have EVER felt in my life. The price is just for shocks and some misc hardware. You have to purchase through a dealer like myself or Speed Freaks etc. The dealer you purchase from will build the coilover for you. MCS just supplies the shocks.

These are real deal motorsports shocks. I have the 1 way. And its just unbelievable the difference going from a $1600 coilover to the MCS.

The best way I can put it, to imagine the difference i felt, is like going from stock to FBO E85 on the Evo LOL. Thats the difference I felt going from one coilover setup to the MCS setup. SAME SPRING RATES

The car feels like a firmer version of stock without any of the body roll. SR 550lb Front 600lb rear. Its just unbelievable. I cant really put it into words. Its amazing.
Which $1,600.00 coilover are you referencing?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
I was thinking 12kg/14kg...but I'm hoping it's not too much for this lot!

If indeed that is true about the AST's having twice the travel of the Ohlins, that may have an impact on my purchase decision. Or isn't it THAT big of a deal if the car is sprung as high of rates as I'm leaning towards?

where exactly will you drive..? To be honest, for road on street tires I wouldnt go above 10K springs.. 12+ is in slick tire category...

as for wheel travel, I never had problems with ohlins.. we do not run them too low though.. IIRC 25mm drop only.. I basically set them up to be on their max height while keeping stock spring preload (to have proper bump to rebound ratio)

Name:  DSC_0117.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  172.6 KB

one more thing to think about.. make sure you can service the shocks locally.. meaning in the US in your case..
The following users liked this post:
LV///R (Feb 10, 2017)
Old Feb 10, 2017, 06:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
where exactly will you drive..? To be honest, for road on street tires I wouldnt go above 10K springs.. 12+ is in slick tire category...

as for wheel travel, I never had problems with ohlins.. we do not run them too low though.. IIRC 25mm drop only.. I basically set them up to be on their max height while keeping stock spring preload (to have proper bump to rebound ratio)

one more thing to think about.. make sure you can service the shocks locally.. meaning in the US in your case..

I'll be driving in town to work from time to time and any travel to other regional autox's.

To clarify, I plan on either running 285mm RE71r's or Hoosier A7's. I'm undecided. I plan on having a spare set of wheels/tires for street only driving (stock wheels).

I don't think 12kg/14kg on 285mm RE71's would be overkill, would it? Those tires have some serious grip for a "street tire". I've ran through 3 sets of them on my old S2000....autox/track days.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Quick Reply: $2,000 - $3,000 Coilovers. Let's discuss.