Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Upgrading Struts, couple of questions

Old Mar 14, 2017, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Upgrading Struts, couple of questions

So I am running stock kyb struts with swift sports springs on them. In the near future I plan on replacing the struts and I'm looking into a couple of options. This is for DD and autocrossing. Tires I use currently are Pilot Super Sports and after those wear out I plan on getting something 200 tread wear. I've been autocrossing on this combo for almost 2 years so things are getting worn and I think it's time for an upgrade. The 200 tread wear tire for grip wise is the stickiest I'll ever go for a tire so I'm not planning on racing tires in the future.

So I've been looking into bilstein b6 struts, b8 struts and Fortune Auto 500 coil overs. There isn't a lot of information on the b8 struts besides they're for cars using lowering springs. I've read Smike's review on the Bilstein HD(b6) struts with Swift Sport combination. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-comments.html
From his impressions and a lot of others, it seems like a very good candidate. But when looking into bilstein b8 struts for reviews, there are not any that I could find. B8 seems to be newer on the Evo platform than the b6 so I just don't want to end up getting the B6 and then find out the B8 struts being superior, would feel pretty bummed.

So does anyone know if the Swift Sport springs work with Bilstein b8 struts? I'm at least going to get the B6 struts unless I find some good information about the B8 struts/spring combo. But in the end I just want a decent DD vehicle(family car) that holds it's own in Autocrossing and will work well with tires like the re-71, Rival S and etc etc.

Also one more thing to add. Is it worth the effort in getting Swift Spec R springs over the Swift Sports?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
What class are you running in?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

The classing isn't really strict where I run at. It's more noob friendly but basically our classes are rank in S5-S0 (5 being slower and 0 fastest)(Stock Class) and M5-M0 (modified). I am in M1 which are cars that are ranked AS/BS in SCCA. I can be bumped into M0 if certain modifications have been done but there are none of that with suspension components.

So in SCCA, I'm not sure what class I'm in...

But if mods matter here are the mods done.

LICP
Full exhaust
Perrin Intake
Boost Controller
Tune
Rear Sway Bar
Rear diff restacked
Rear diff/mustache bar bushings
Swift Sports Springs

Last edited by CaptainSquirts; Mar 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You are is ASP in SCCA.
I would just get coilovers. The non-oem Bilstiens don't ride that great. the FA-500's will be better in the performance department with something like 8k/10k spring rates, and ride quality will still be decent.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Sounds like you could be in STU if you went back to stock BCS to tune the boost. But boost controller would put you in ASP.

Don't know anything about the B8 struts but I have a set of HDs with GTworks springs and theyre fantastic on the street but not nearly stiff enough for competitive AutoX.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Are the FA-500's harsher than oem kyb? I feel like the kyb feeling would be the limit and don't really want it to get that much worse. Also anyone have an idea of what mileage you could get on FA 500's on 8k/10k spring rates?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

I certainly wouldn't buy the bilstiens b6 or b8 then. I can't remember what the KYB's felt like exactly, but I do recall them being better than the aftermarket bilstiens lol. If you want bilstiens, find the OEM MR units, and have them revalved.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
My only experience with KYBs was on my old GVR4 with evo suspension swapped. It was awful on KYBs, downright dangerous over bumps in the wet. I swapped out the fronts to my bilsteins from the Evo and it was amazing. If I only go by that experience, I would say KYB is complete **** and anything is better.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Well I just spoke with someone at Bilstein east head quarters about the b6 and b8. I tried to get some feedback between the two but the person said the b8 is made for vehicles that are using lowering springs. He said only goto the b8 due to possibility of bottoming out on the b6 since I would be using a lowering spring. Person would not comment on any feedback like driveability since he says everyone's preferences are different e.g one person thinking it might be comfortable and another thinking it isn't comfortable. So at this point I am leaning towards b8 struts. Holy crap the representative that I spoke to I could tell did not want to talk about the product much at all. Just you're using lowered springs, so only get that.

FA 500's might be out of the question, it's not in my price range after adding swift springs and radial bearings. Last think I want to do is go cheap on coilovers.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

There is no need to add swifts or radial bearings. They won't change how the car rides.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

2nd post XD. "Swift springs ride/work better. The radial bearing mount provides smoother steering feel."

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ng-option.html

I'm going to give FA a call to see their thoughts. I'm sure they will have a lot better feedback than bilstein.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:11 AM
EvoM Guru

yeah, I've learned a lot since then. While, in theory, swifts should be better because they're lighter weight, its not exactly a perceptible difference.

And after actually driving a car with radial bearing top perches for the springs, it is also not a perceptible difference.

I've learned a lot in nearly 2 years.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 09:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a set of OEM Bilsteins with Swift Spec R's im about two days away from taking off the car and putting them up for sale. The Bilsteins were revalved specifically for the springs. They perform phenomenally but are a bit on the harsher side on the street. With that said they are fast enough to take an FTD at a Porsche club event in my final event of 2016. Let me know if you're interested.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You are is ASP in SCCA.
I would just get coilovers. The non-oem Bilstiens don't ride that great. the FA-500's will be better in the performance department with something like 8k/10k spring rates, and ride quality will still be decent.
Disagree about the Bilstein B6's. I swapped out the stock KYB's for the B6's, still on the stock springs, and the ride changed tremendously. Wayyyy softer. The KYB's had a crashing kind of feel over every bump, while the B6's float over bumps. Caveat: the KYB's had ~$100k miles on them, but they weren't leaking (as far as I can tell), and I don't ever remember a time when they didn't ride awful.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 09:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Not leaking doesn't mean a properly functioning damper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading Struts, couple of questions