Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Old Mar 27, 2017, 06:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The "housing" for the bearing would be machined, possibly with the caliper mounts integrated. The ball joint mount would also be machined, then welded on. The strut mount and steering arm would be fabricated.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
:
What's the story with these? I missed the thread...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Nimpoc
What's the story with these? I missed the thread...
There was no thread. They're custom trailing arms with more bend for increased inner wheel clearance for running wider wheels with a higher offset.

R/TErnie got mad at me for "copying" him when I posted them on FB. Then he blocked me.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
There was no thread Then he blocked me.
Wut? Didnt know it came down to that. Its not like theres a Pat.Pending on that part. If someone wanted to make their own, why not?

Proud of you anyway for going through that detailed process of making those exacting bends & welds

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 29, 2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about burying a spherical in there to give the top of the spring tip/tilt/rotation freedom like the Hypercoil mount, without the fluid?

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Seems like the general group here is a bunch of makers and builders, here's a place to show off things you made not bought. Or maybe you have a killer idea and a napkin sketch for another maker to run with.

I'll start with something I think I need. I posted yesterday about bending a rear ohlin shock shaft. To reduce at least one source of bending load I'm going to make a coaxial spring perch. I measured a few things on the shock yesterday and replacing the lower spacer with a perch I can retain the boot keeper and will use up the excess thread between top bolt and adjuster. If I need a little more space, I can also remake the centering spacer shorter since its excessively tall.

Simple, but should work perfect.

Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
An upright weldment would be interesting, seems like there would be at least one machined part in the ball joint mount. Ive thought about doing my control arm as a tubular weldment but in the end I just like billet more.. More freedom of form.
we made sheetmetal welded spindles for our minibaja. it worked out well for what we did - but i'm not sure how much weight there is to be lost with that method.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Meathooker
we made sheetmetal welded spindles for our minibaja. it worked out well for what we did - but i'm not sure how much weight there is to be lost with that method.
This knuckle weighs 9lbs bare (no bearing for the upper, and no spindle). It's on a 3900lb off-road truck that has a 100lb 35" tall wheel/tire assembly. It's goes through 2ft deep whoops/rough in the desert at 65mph+. Just an idea of what a part can weigh while still holding up.

I'm not saying Dallas's stuff is heavy, I'm just excited to see what Jordan can come up with when I have the money.
Attached Thumbnails Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023-photo282.jpg  
Old Mar 29, 2017, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Wut? Didnt know it came down to that. Its not like theres a Pat.Pending on that part. If someone wanted to make their own, why not?

Proud of you anyway for going through that detailed process of making those exacting bends & welds
His unhappiness stems from the notion that his part was copied and then the person copying the part is marketing and selling it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 03:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Its not that complicated of a part though. I'm sure Racefab and the several other companies that make them all look similar due to the simplicity of the part. And I thought you couldnt get them from prof awesome anymore but I'm not sure.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nollij
His unhappiness stems from the notion that his part was copied and then the person copying the part is marketing and selling it.
A bent tube is really hard not to copy. Anyone with half a brain and sense in fabrication and building racecars would see the stock control arm rubs the wheel and/or tire and see that there is plenty of room to add more bend to the control arm, and build it.

Maybe if he had been willing sell me a set, I wouldn't have made my own and decided to sell them. These were made based off of the stock arm, and measurements that I myself took. His "design" was not copied. Further, maybe ford should be mad at chevy, since chevy makes cars, just like ford makes cars.

Seeing as how out of the several people I've talked to feel I'm not in the wrong, I'm not too concerned about what R/TErnie thinks. Its not like I got my hands on a set of his arms, and built mine based off of that. Like what MAP has done to several Magnus products. What I've done here is quite different.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 04:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
except they weren't copied.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
except they weren't copied.
Well... except all the other aftermarket variants use rod ends. R/T's uses a threaded ball joint similar to the one pictured on the last page (guessing it is a ball joint for a '68 chrysler as well since you have the same height issue). It IS a fairly simple part though.

I imagine there are cases where two people on opposite ends of the earth do come up with the same idea at the same time. But, that is not what happened here. Once, you see a solution, it is hard to see your own, original solution.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 07:30 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Well... except all the other aftermarket variants use rod ends. R/T's uses a threaded ball joint similar to the one pictured on the last page (guessing it is a ball joint for a '68 chrysler as well since you have the same height issue). It IS a fairly simple part though.

I imagine there are cases where two people on opposite ends of the earth do come up with the same idea at the same time. But, that is not what happened here. Once, you see a solution, it is hard to see your own, original solution.
what is there about it to be original? It's a bent bar with a ball joint and a bushing. There's really not a lot of different ways to do it. That's like saying Bridgestone copied Goodyear because their tires are round.
there was only one solution, bend the bar so it goes around the wheel. Other than that you find ways to connect it to the car. You can choose on bushings and other OEM options or do race car stuff like everybody else does. None of us see how one person coming up with trailing arm that makes more clearance means they're the only person allowed to make one.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 30, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
I always wondered about stifness issues with using a simple bent tube for a trailing arm.. as any fore-aft movement there will induce toe changes..
Old Mar 30, 2017, 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

So, if I had used rod ends, would all the aftermarket variants be upset and think that I copied them? Or maybe Mitsubishi should be mad at both me and R/TErnie since both of us copied Mitsubishi and used a ball joint? This is the same ridiculous "conversation" I've already had with R/TErnie. As far as what it's for, speedway says it's Chrysler, IDK beyond that. I bought it because it's threaded and matched the taper of the OEM ball joint.

Maybe, if he had made his arms available, I wouldn't have made my own. That's how badly I wanted/needed a set of arms. I literally went and made my own. I sourced a ball joint, made my own measurements for wheel clearance, sourced a front bushing, drew them in solid works (fab guy did this), made a jig (also fab guy), and made arms (also fab guy). My fab guy never even saw a picture of R/TErnie's arms. Had I not used a thread ball joint, we probably would have machined a sleeve and ran press fit ball joints. Simply because ball joints last longer on a street car, and are less expensive to replace than a spherical bearing.

All this because in November 2016, I talked him about getting a set, but he needed a group buy of 3 or 5. I couldn't really find anyone interested. I PM'ed him on FB again in January 2017 with no response. So, since I needed a trailing arm, I had my own made.

Basically, your argument is invalid.

Kiki, its a piece of 1" .120 wall 4130. I don't think it's going anywhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023