Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Manual Steering rack - anyone use them

Old Mar 16, 2017, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I've seen/heard of several high amp alt's for other applications, has anyone seen (a current) one for our app?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
I've seen/heard of several high amp alt's for other applications, has anyone seen one for our app?
ive contacted excessive amperage and iraggi.

excessive is 200amp and they are $380

iraggi is 22-amp and $580

my concern with them is longevity at high rpm. excessive said we would put on a smaller pulley but i'm concerned about the reliability of a one-off unit compared to a mass produced piece.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Meathooker
ive contacted excessive amperage and iraggi.

excessive is 200amp and they are $380

iraggi is 22-amp and $580

my concern with them is longevity at high rpm. excessive said we would put on a smaller pulley but i'm concerned about the reliability of a one-off unit compared to a mass produced piece.
My thoughts exactly. 180amp would be fine really, and I have an STM pulley to use if that's the case. What others?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Wow the stock alt is only 90 amps. 2 fuel pumps and 2 fans running all the time seems way overkill but of course you want some margin of error here to the system isnt taxed. In reality I doubt the fans are drawing 20amps constantly and same with the fuel pumps at a consistent 15amps. However it they all are triggered on at the same time they could pull that much in which case that spike in load could cause issues.

What are the 2 fans for anyway? Oil cooler and radiator?

To your point there are many other systems that will pull some current, i.e the ecu, coils, ABS, gauges etc etc.

Regardless of if you convert to electric steering rack, it sounds like your current system is already on the edge. But i have to wonder if 2 fuel pumps is needed? Can you get away with one walbro 460? At the very least some sort of hobbs switch would probably be ideal. Id have to imagine with 2 pumps running full tilt you're putting your FPR through quite a workout!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 09:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Load spike of turning everything on at once would be handled by the battery that can deliver 500amps for a few seconds without issue.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Wow the stock alt is only 90 amps. 2 fuel pumps and 2 fans running all the time seems way overkill but of course you want some margin of error here to the system isnt taxed. In reality I doubt the fans are drawing 20amps constantly and same with the fuel pumps at a consistent 15amps. However it they all are triggered on at the same time they could pull that much in which case that spike in load could cause issues.

What are the 2 fans for anyway? Oil cooler and radiator?

To your point there are many other systems that will pull some current, i.e the ecu, coils, ABS, gauges etc etc.

Regardless of if you convert to electric steering rack, it sounds like your current system is already on the edge. But i have to wonder if 2 fuel pumps is needed? Can you get away with one walbro 460? At the very least some sort of hobbs switch would probably be ideal. Id have to imagine with 2 pumps running full tilt you're putting your FPR through quite a workout!
dw350il 13-15 amps:
http://www.deatschwerks.com/resource...el-pump-tech-2

bosch 044 13 amps:
http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-137758...580254044.html

spal 14" 20 amps
https://webstore.spalusa.com/content..._2056_SPEC.pdf

we were limited to around 380-400 whp on one pump.

for the fans im hoping we dont need to run both all of the time but the mass flow rate at 9000-14000 is much less than down here (3000ft) so we'll need to move a lof more air to get the same cooling effect. i did some rough heat transfer calcs and it will be borderline with one fan.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 720 Likes on 566 Posts
I think theres a couple things you could do to lower total current load. One could be going back to a stock or walbro 255lph pump as a feeder to the Bosch. Also those pumps in parallel would pull less than their max current since parallel flow is splitting the headloss.

Also I'm guessing the fans will pull less current at altitude with less air. DC motor current is proportional to load so if you move less air load will be reduced and should pull less current.

And the last thing is that the battery is there to power all these things with the alternator recharging it. If you exceed the alternator for short times, that's ok as long as theirs longer periods of charging than discharging. One example is starting power.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Load spike of turning everything on at once would be handled by the battery that can deliver 500amps for a few seconds without issue.
Extrapolate that a bit further. The alternator doesn't need to makeup the intermittent duty of the components, it needs to makeup the longtime, average draw of the components. For two reasons:
  1. The battery will maintain the voltage depending on its capacity and the load. When the alternator and battery are at the same voltage, they will load share depending on the internal and external impedance of the battery and the alternator.
  2. heat is generated proportional to t*I^2, where t is time and I is current. The alternator can run at 180A for brief stints as long as it doesn't stay there in the overloaded condition.

Sizing things for "everything on" condition is not a great way to do it. Copper is heavy and this may be one of those areas that "oversizing" is great until you see how much extra weight that adds.
The following users liked this post:
Meathooker (Mar 16, 2017)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I think theres a couple things you could do to lower total current load. One could be going back to a stock or walbro 255lph pump as a feeder to the Bosch. Also those pumps in parallel would pull less than their max current since parallel flow is splitting the headloss.
I am doing a surge tank system and bought some lift pumps from protec in the uk that are very low pressure but flow about 190 lph at 2 amps or so... much less than a 255..
Old Mar 17, 2017, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, a manual rack sucks.

If you are running as much caster as you can get and have sticky tires, it's going to be a *****. Even at a 14:1 steering ratio (compared to the 12.5:1 stock EVO) and 1200 pounds on the front wheels, my E36 BMW still tried to rip the steering wheel out of my hands. I had to focus way more on actually turning the car then trying to hit the line I was after. Take it up to 1700 pounds (for a light *** 2800 pound EVO) and it's just going to be that much worse.

The electric steering pumps pull upwards of 60AMPs under max demand (car stopped, turning the steering wheel quickly). It's not usually at max demand though, and once the car is moving, the electrical demand drops significantly.