Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Manual Steering rack - anyone use them

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Manual Steering rack - anyone use them

Looking for weight savings. looks like a manual rack would save over 20lbs. anyone run them?

for autox im not sure id like it but road course/hill climb i cant decide ...
Old Mar 15, 2017, 09:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Did you already try the electric route? I've thought about that so I can at least move the pump off the front of the car.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Did you already try the electric route? I've thought about that so I can at least move the pump off the front of the car.
thought about it. our electrical system is already taxed IMO so im hesitant to add any more load.

what is the amp draw on something like that?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm not sure really. But one thing to think about is your battery also has capacity, and what is its discharge rate. You'd basically need enough power between alt output and battery to get up the hill and not drop under ~50% battery. Then when you're done and power needs have dropped, the battery can charge back up cruising back down the hill.

It might even be good to have a separate small battery to power something like the pump and act as a capacitor for it.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
manual rack would a b!tch in an evo considering how nose heavy the car is. i know someone who just did electric pump conversion and moved the pump to the trunk.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
^ it's not that bad, you almost don't even notice when the car is rolling and if you're taking out the ps then you probably have lots more weight shaved off the front which doesn't make the car so nose heavy. My friends Fd feels almost the same as my evo without ps. It's definitely worth it too, besides weight saving the feel/control on the road or track increases tenfold. Going back to power steering makes me wonder how people race with it's disability lol
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I wouldn't want a manual rack in a car like the evo, especially for twisty work.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
PS has to make switchbacks easier. Quick steering input back and forth could be taxing without it. Especially with large sticky tires and under any braking load.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

But can I get an electric alternator to mount in the back? I just need a motor that requires less power than the alternator makes. Should be easy enough right?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

You do it trophy truck style and run an auxiliary alternator off the drive shaft. Just need to be able to disable it below a certain speed so it doesn't burn up.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
EvoDan2004 had a manual steering rack that saved more than 15lbs and felt great even at a stand still, but the gearing to make it that easy made your steering 3.25 turns lock to lock.

Original thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-lighter.html
Old Mar 15, 2017, 02:36 PM
EvoM Guru

3.25 lock-to-lock isn't bad. That's only a little more than an extra 1/2 turn from center to lock.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
A comment was made above that our electrical system is already taxed. What are you basing that off of? How much current does an electric steering box pull? Any more than an electric water pump?

I recall seeing a thread where R/TErnie IIRC was having a higher amp alternator built. Whatever came of this? Weren't there reliability issues with those units? Just seems like a higher AMP alternator is the easy button here and then you dont have to worry about it.

If not an aux alternator(how are you powering that?) or maybe an additional battery wouldnt be a bad idea. Only catch with the battery is how long can you go before it runs out of juice?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
A comment was made above that our electrical system is already taxed. What are you basing that off of? How much current does an electric steering box pull? Any more than an electric water pump?

I recall seeing a thread where R/TErnie IIRC was having a higher amp alternator built. Whatever came of this? Weren't there reliability issues with those units? Just seems like a higher AMP alternator is the easy button here and then you dont have to worry about it.

If not an aux alternator(how are you powering that?) or maybe an additional battery wouldnt be a bad idea. Only catch with the battery is how long can you go before it runs out of juice?
Stock alt rated at 90amp

Typically you don't want to use electrical comments at more than 80% rated capacity for extended periods of time

90x.8 = 72 amp

Two fuel pumps - 15amp each
Two fans - 20amp each

That's 70 amps right there.

Plus acd pump - ??amp

Then what ever it takes to run the car.

It looks like electrical PS pumps are around 4amp
Old Mar 16, 2017, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
^^ i think we need to look into putting a controller on our fuel pumps or maybe stage them in the tuning. having both of them running full blast all the time is pretty unnecessary and probably creates fuel heating issues...

and stage the fans obviously. having two or 3 tiny batteries should pick up the slack in the electrical demand. and keep in mind, the 80% rule of thumb is for continuous loads. a load isn't considered continuous until it runs for 3+ hours

Quick Reply: Manual Steering rack - anyone use them