evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Miscellaneous > New Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

New Off-Topic Open to all members. Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the Lancer and Lancer Evolution in any way.

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:06 PM   #1
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Red Roo... The Lancer was done rolled.

Send a message via ICQ to neilschelly Send a message via AIM to neilschelly Send a message via MSN to neilschelly Send a message via Yahoo to neilschelly
Do Sheriffs write speeding tickets?

I got pulled over the other day, by a county sheriff. He pulled me over, came up to my window, and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I was about to answer, when he said he thought I was going pretty fast - that he had trouble catching up to me and commented that his car (an Impala) was pretty powerful. Realistically, I'd just gotten on the highway, so I'm sure he wasn't following for long, and I'm pretty sure he didn't have a radar gun or anything because my radar detector was silent and I think he was just coming up behind me on the highway.

Anyway, he continued to estimate I must have been going about 80 (in a 55) as I was getting my registration and license out. He asked to see my license and I handed them over, and he immediately gave me back my registration, saying he wasn't going to write me a ticket. He just looked over my license to see if it was legit I guess, handed it back to me and explained that he didn't want other drivers to get the impression that speeding violations weren't enforced.

Anyway, the whole thing just sounded odd, with him not even going back to his car to run plates, lookup records, take 20 minutes to do whatever, etc... and his being so blatant that he only pulled me over to give the illusion of being hard on speeders. I knew that he wasn't driving a state trooper car since they're all Crown Vics in the area, so as he passed me afterward, I saw it was a Country Sheriff car. And it occurred to me afterward that I don't really know what a Sheriff does, except I'm pretty sure they don't do traffic duty.

Any thoughts?
-N

Now I'm driving a '99 Impreza Outback until the Evo wagon comes to visit the US.

Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (5)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 Lancer OZ Rally

They do.

Fox

Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:29 PM   #3
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition

Send a message via AIM to MisterSpoot Send a message via Yahoo to MisterSpoot
Sheriffs supplement weak points in a county's force when they need it. They'll use their deputies to say... help a small station do a drug raid, or do the regular beat while said station performs a raid.

They do whatever they please, unless the State Police blocks them.

Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:31 PM   #4
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Red Roo... The Lancer was done rolled.

Send a message via ICQ to neilschelly Send a message via AIM to neilschelly Send a message via MSN to neilschelly Send a message via Yahoo to neilschelly
So I just had a nice guy then... cool deal. I really wasn't speeding as badly as he said since I had just gotten on the highway and was merging with traffic quickly. I hate when someone tries to enter 70MPH traffic at 50MPH and then speed up. It's a pet peeve of mine and realistically, by the time I realized he was behind me (I guess when he caught up), I was in a crowd doing what everyone else was... I guess he noticed.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
-N

Now I'm driving a '99 Impreza Outback until the Evo wagon comes to visit the US.

Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:39 PM   #5
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: '98 Mirage

Or if you live in New Bedford, like Spoot, you can watch the Sheriffs fight it out with city police over who has jurisdiction while the gangs roam free.

Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:50 PM   #6
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 1990 Acura Integra GS, 1990 cadillac fleetwood bougham

Send a message via AIM to 00Eclipse_GS
my uncle used to be a sheriff and i dont remember him ever giving speeding tickets....they haul people back and forth from different jails and stuff...i asked my mom and she said she dont think that they give tickets for speeding...

What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity
EvoM Anti-Attn #5
click here to see my 90 integra

Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:57 PM   #7
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (35)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 EVO

Send a message via AIM to BADEVO Send a message via Yahoo to BADEVO
A sherriff or a sherrifs deputy can write a traffic citation. YES THEY CAN. They are a law enforcement officer just like a city or state cop. NO difference in them being able to cite you, so long as your in thier county.
the reason is because you can make as many stipulations as you want in order to hold the record. For example I can say I have the quickest/fastest stock turbo 04 WW GSR w/SSL on 93 pump gas & 22psi w/blizzaks driven on a Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoFlash View Post
When you watch a car on the dyno with a Buschur exhuast the velocity of the flow throuh the exhaust is so fast and powerful that the smoke shoots out and back like a rocket

Old Sep 26, 2004, 07:21 PM   #8
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2k3 oz lancer

Send a message via AIM to sleek_concepts
badevo is exactly right. i am friends with almost every cop in my county, beacause i went to high school wiht most of them and partied with all of tehm, haha.. but they do have the ability to write traffic violations. and they will for that matter. almost every ticket i have gotten came from a sheriff, but in another county. i dont get very many where i live.

Disclaimer: All posts made by me are made as Tim Haney and do not reflect the views of Sleek Concepts and Design.

Old Sep 27, 2004, 08:33 AM   #9
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: mirage S (guess what the S stands for)

Send a message via AIM to Fiesty882 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiesty882
yes they can and so can ATF (alchol tobacco and firearm) i work with them and they are all forces of the law. and if you doing something wrong than they can stop you

(so glad the ATF guys like me, they know how i drive and have seen me, one said i went flyin by him at like 100mph lol and he could even hear my system, he says i was playin evenscense, which is probably true)
When there's something to conceal.
Or knowing how to love,
Love's not in my memories
How can I rise above
All my insecurities

http://www.forgivendriven.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheDriver13
its a bird! it's a plane! it's Fiesty!
pictures myspace

Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:29 AM   #10
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Yellow Evo VIII

uh

Of course sherrifs (and deputies) can write tickets. Haven't you ever seen Dukes of Hazzard?

Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:41 AM   #11
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2009 Lancer ES

Send a message via AIM to Nevaeh Send a message via MSN to Nevaeh Send a message via Yahoo to Nevaeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesty882
yes they can and so can ATF (alchol tobacco and firearm) i work with them and they are all forces of the law. and if you doing something wrong than they can stop you

(so glad the ATF guys like me, they know how i drive and have seen me, one said i went flyin by him at like 100mph lol and he could even hear my system, he says i was playin evenscense, which is probably true)
Gosh Lindsey, lol 100mph to evenscense? lol they are hot and htey make you want to speed but by a cop haha? ewll I guess they figure you have guts and they will let you by,
my god --- perhaps I am

@Beth's Special Loser@

Please come and visit my Blog you may learn something about me! Endless Breaths

Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:52 PM   #12
Bomb Squad Unit #02
Personal Sales Rating: (14)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: a bicycle

I swear Sheriffs are the nicest ones. When I was 16, I got pulled over by one (they don't have Police in the area I live in) and he gave me a warning. Two of them found me past curfew when I was in high school, and they just say "time to go". But the highway patrol, that's another story. No nonsence, write you up kind of people. I wonder why?

Old Sep 27, 2004, 01:08 PM   #13
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Silver Evo 8

Send a message via AIM to Thwack
ATF, just like FBI, Secret Service, Marshalls, etc. are a federal law enforcement entity, and can enforce the law across the country, but cannot give you a ticket. Worst case scenario, they could detain you for the proper authorities to come give you a citiation (state, county, city or sheriff), but they could only do this if you were already stopped, as they do not have marked cruisers which are necessary to pull you over. As a side note (before some of you argue about getting pulled over by an undercover cop car) you do not have to stop for a random car with a blue strobe light, even if he is a cop. In this case you can drive slowly to nearest police station, or populated area, then have the office call a marked cruiser... But the point is, traffic tickets are a state and local matter, no federal agency (with a few exceptions in DC) can give you a ticket for it. they dont even have ticket books on which to write them.

sheriffs on the other hand, most certainly can. sheriffs are a lot like the federal marshalls dealing with courthouse security, jails, convicts, landlord issues, and supplemental law enforcement where they see fit, including traffic citations. The usually are the most lenient over traffic issues, b/c its not really their prime concern, but if they see someone doign something wrong, they'll let you know. State troopers are the worst about traffic citations, b/c thats mostly all they do.

Old Sep 27, 2004, 01:11 PM   #14
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2009 Lancer ES

Send a message via AIM to Nevaeh Send a message via MSN to Nevaeh Send a message via Yahoo to Nevaeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwack
ATF, just like FBI, Secret Service, Marshalls, etc. are a federal law enforcement entity, and can enforce the law across the country, but cannot give you a ticket. Worst case scenario, they could detain you for the proper authorities to come give you a citiation (state, county, city or sheriff), but they could only do this if you were already stopped, as they do not have marked cruisers which are necessary to pull you over. As a side note (before some of you argue about getting pulled over by an undercover cop car) you do not have to stop for a random car with a blue strobe light, even if he is a cop. In this case you can drive slowly to nearest police station, or populated area, then have the office call a marked cruiser... But the point is, traffic tickets are a state and local matter, no federal agency (with a few exceptions in DC) can give you a ticket for it. they dont even have ticket books on which to write them.

sheriffs on the other hand, most certainly can. sheriffs are a lot like the federal marshalls dealing with courthouse security, jails, convicts, landlord issues, and supplemental law enforcement where they see fit, including traffic citations. The usually are the most lenient over traffic issues, b/c its not really their prime concern, but if they see someone doign something wrong, they'll let you know. State troopers are the worst about traffic citations, b/c thats mostly all they do.
are you saying that if a undercover cop puts on his lights we don't have to stop???? we could drive to the nearest dispatch station???? Maybe I'm not clear on that
my god --- perhaps I am

@Beth's Special Loser@

Please come and visit my Blog you may learn something about me! Endless Breaths

Old Sep 27, 2004, 01:28 PM   #15
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Silver Evo 8

Send a message via AIM to Thwack
That is correct. This is a little known fact that has actually resulted in some carjackings, assaults, and even rapes. Criminals would hop into a hooptie, white, ex police car bought at an auction, acquire a blue revolving light, pull over a nice looking car in a desolate stretch of road, and jack the car, mug the owner, etc. You only legally have to stop if it is a marked cruiser with a uniformed officer inside.

This does not mean if you see an undercover car trying to pull you over you can ignore him and continue on your merry way to work or wherever. you need to acnowledge the car by slowing down, getting in the right lane, turn on your hazard lights, then proceed either to an area where you feel safe, or to a police station. you can also call the police station on your cell phone (try to use nonemergency number via operator) and have the dispacher verify that it is a real cop car, and if they cannot verify (could be diff jurisdiction) have them dispach a marked cruiser to meet you and the undercover car.

be warned that if you do this, you have basically eliminated any chance of getting a warning instead of the stiffest ticket possible since the cops wont be happy of going to all the trouble, but they cannot hit you with refusing to stop or evading capture charges. Only do this if you fear for your safety.

Old Sep 27, 2004, 01:28 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
citation, country, county, give, pa, pull, sheriff, sheriffs, sherrif, sherrifs, speed, speeding, state, ticket, tickets, write