Reckless Driving Ticket Mailed To My House!! Wtf?? - evolutionm.net
evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Miscellaneous > New Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

New Off-Topic Open to all members. Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the Lancer and Lancer Evolution in any way.

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (24)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi - Lancer Evolution IX (Wicked White)

Send a message via AIM to YellowFever
Thumbs down Reckless Driving Ticket Mailed To My House!! Wtf??

Ok guys, I really need advice (Long story but there is a summary at the end so please bear with me)...

Thursday night (04/12/07) I was at a bar (Fatso Fogartys), in North Arlington, NJ. As I was approaching this place, I see a black unmarked police vehicle parked exactly across the street from the bar. Cool.

I was looking for parking on the main street and couldnt find any. I made a left on to the next block and parked on a side street. Whatever. My other friends had been at the bar already and they parked in the same side street, and I parked in front of them.

We go into the bar, have a good time, and 45 minutes later, I come out for a cigarette and I start to ponder about my car to see if maybe some ******* keyed it or something. Well as I'm approaching the car, I see a TICKET on my window. I say "oh ****". I look at the ticket and obviously, that same cop gave me and ONLY ME a ticket for NO PARKING. That side street belongs to some community/village homes, so there was no parking from 9pm to 6a.m unless u have a permit. I look for the sign on the corner of the street and as I'm reading it I slapped my-self in the head. Whatever, I deserved it, no biggie, it's only $45.

So I go back into the club and tell everyone else and they are like "holy ****", and my boy goes and moves his car from that side street before that cop decides to go and check for any other car. (reminding you, that he didnt get a ticket, just me).

So whatever, we stayed for another hour and bs with some bittches there and then the club closes. We all walk outside smoke a little bit and then we leave. As we are leaving everyone goes there own way.

I go to my car we all get in, showed and re-told my passenger friends what happened and we left. We make a right back on to the main street and we see that the cop is not across the street anymore.

So we come up to a light and we see a Mustang burning rubber/peeling out, stopped at the red light (right infront of the bar). Since it was a 2-lane road I pulled up next to the Mustang and he was looking at me saying "whats good? lets do this" looking all drunk with like 3-4 people in the car and the music blasting. Well, me KNOWING THAT I JUST GOT A TICKET, AND KNOWING THAT THE COP COULD HAVE BEEN HIDING ON A SIDE STREET UP AHEAD, I just rev my car and the light turns green and the Mustang takes off like a bat out of hell. I waited 3 seconds and let him go up ahead (saying to myself, wow that guy is going to get pulled over). I go slow and dont do nothing because i KNOW the cop is hiding somewhere. But I see in my rear view mirror another black and white pull behind me, follows me for 5 seconds and then turns on another street. (He must have not seen the mustang becuase he was already way ahead of me) So again I knew I didnt drive recklessly because I would have been pulled over from the other cop car.

So I keep driving down and I have my radar detector on and its beeping so Im laughing saying..oh'oh, this other cop is very near, so Im still going slow. We still see the mustang in a distance, (about 2-3 blocks ahead of us after the bar) and I guess he wanted to wait for me so he started slowing down and he sees me in his rear view mirror as we are driving and then he starts neutral revving it infront of me. He guns it again speeding down the street (at this point we were about 1/8 of a mile past the club) and then the unmarked black car cop (the one that gave me the parking ticket) pulls out of one of the side streets. He follows us, turns on his light, stops on the side of us for 2 seconds looks at us, and then goes in front of me and stops the mustang. (He must have let me go because I knew he didnt see me driving recklessly or anything else.) I had my windows down so I know the cop didnt say anything to us. So we went slowly around them and as we drive past the Mustang, my brother rolls down the window and points and laughs at him.

We made it home safe to our destination with out worries. But not until today, I receive 2 tickets in the mail. WTF? Reckless driving and Loud Muffler. Before I go on, the cop can't prove who was driving. it was dark and he quickly glanced at our car. Doesnt even know how I look like or nothing. But anywho, the guy in the Mustang must have told the cop a BS story, which made the cop mail me the ticket the next day. Mail me a ticket? IF I WAS DOING SOMETHIGN WRONG, HE COULD HAVE EASILY SAID, PULL OVER TO BOTH OF US THAT NIGHT, BUT HE DIDNT BECAUSE HE KNEW HE DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING ON ME BUT THE LOUD MUFFLER AND THE PERMIT PARKING. Those 2 tickets I agree to take them but I was not driving recklessly.

What shoudl I do? I need some type of legal advice or advice.

SUMMARY:

Went to a club, saw a black un-marked police car parked across the street from a bar. Got out of the bar, there was a ticket on my windshield for PERMIT parking ONLY. We left the club there is a Mustang in front of the club at a traffic light doing a burnout. We pull up next to them while they look drunk, with the music blasted saying to me "whats good, lets do this" so I laugh back. Light turns green he takes off like a bat out of hell and I wait 2-3 seconds and I go, but slowly. I see a black and white police car coming up behind me and he follows me for 5-10 seconds BUT HE THEN turns on another side street. He didnt see the mustang because he was way ahead of us.

The mustang slows down waits for me and speeds again. My radar is going off and I know that there is another cop waiting, so im STILL GOING SLOW. The mustang guy flies by the same cop with the unmarked black car that gave me the ticket, turns on his light, stops next to me, quickly glances at me, and goes in front of me to pull the mustang guy over.

My brother rolls down the window, points and laughs at the other guy in the Mustang. And we were free to go. Cop would have told both of us to pull over if he saw me driving recklessly, but he didnt. So I guess the mustang guy told him a BS story that we were racing. Which was BS.

Advice anyone?

Thanks in advance,

~ JoeL
Evo-NY #014

TriStateEvo www.tristateevo.com

Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Garage is empty, add now

Easiest way is to show up to court and say it wasn't you driving as opposed to trying to argue your innocence. It would be of great benefit for you to have an alibi and claim you did not know who was driving your car that night family/friend/roomate.

Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Mivec Power!

Well technically if hesaw you "recklessly driving" he should've pulled you over right there and then. He can't just send you out a ticket and 'surprise!". If thats the case, everyone can be getting tickets from a police officer left right and center.

4G69 Intake Manifold Gasket & Stock Cam for sale! Throw an offer.

Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 05 RS

Send a message via AIM to evrblazin
I didn't read the entire thread, just the summary. It probably wasn't a good idea for your brother to roll down the window as the mustang is pulled over. It's best to just mind your business and be glad you aren't getting pulled. This gesture most likely pissed off the cop. As for the reckless, obviously go to court and tell your side. That is a bad ticket and points which would suck. Club, drinking, cops in the area, mustang doing burnouts, yea thats really wierd people are getting tickets

Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 03 Evo VIII

Plead not guilty, go to trial with the officer (if he shows) and bring your friends that were in your car in as witnesses. I think thats your best chance, imo, and that way its not just your word against the officers.

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Garage is empty, add now

Well if you are going to take it to court you are alowed footage from his cruiser camera. Get that, look it over and see if its clear enough that you have a case.

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:08 PM   #7
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Evo IX, 96 Eclipse RS-T

Send a message via AIM to cs82685
If you decide to go to court to fight this, you might be able to fight the muffler ticket too if you want, I'm not sure of the exact law in Jersey, but here's some info on it and where to search for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvr4737
So as some of u may rememeber. I have picked up a nice amount of loud exhaust tickets.. 11 in two years.

so im traveling up rt 15 north... heading to a friend of mines house. driving nicely, I pass a cop that isnt shooting radar or anything just sitting there. After about 2 minutes he pulls out. I was doing perfect speed limit and had my car geared right.. soo i head into sparta, the cop follows, gets real close to me.. than i make a left.. he makes a left.. than i just give up, he was on my butt and running my plate. So i see a nice open parking lot and I pull myself over.. he gets behind me, flicks his lights. for no reason

He proceeds to walk up to my car and I say hello, nicely. He asked why i pulled over?. I told him that he was going anyway and it was a nice safe spot to do soo soo i did it. Than he asked if I was guilty of anything. I said no.. than he asked bout my license and than said my car was pretty loud. I told him I know it was and explained my 18 inch resonator and cat.. Than I pulled out my document folder with my state legislator and other information on " Loud exhausts" in NJ... We than talked.. like normal human beings. i pointed out the highlighted area's and explained decibal readers to him. He told me i was pretty smart. I was not a dick to the cop and I just had facts. Cold Hard Facts. He than asked me about going to court for this and i showed him the highlighted area stating the case will be dismissed if a decibal reading is not taken at time of summons. He did not have a decibal reader and idk cops that do. than he went to his car and ran my license.. came back after like 15 minutes with a huge smile.. and said " Wow you werent kidding about your exhaust tickets"/. I explained to him the 11 over the past 2 years and how they pretty much all woulda been dismissed if I would have known the facts than.
we than just talked a bit and I told him where i was headed. He told me to have a nice day and that was that....

So here is a word to everyone. Get your facts, Reasearch the law, dont act like a cocky bastard and You wont ever need to pull in your clutch/bog out ur car again in front of cops..

- The End -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvr4737
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=33747

check out that site. Has most of the info I have shortened down.

or if your a real hardass/ detective, hunt down all the information for the state legislator for ( 39:3-70 ) thats the muffler law in New jersey.. Just make sure u get all your facts straight and dont look like a dumbass when you are explaining your reasonings to the officer
From enjoythedrive.com link posted above

N.J. Stat. @ 39:3-70 (2002)

@ 39:3-70. [Mufflers]

Every motor vehicle having a combustion motor shall at all times be equipped
with a [muffler] in good working order and in constant operation to prevent
[excessive or unusual noise and] annoying smoke, AND NO PERSON SHALL MODIFY THE EXHAUST SYSTEM OF A MOTOR VEHICLE IN A MANNER SO THAT THE EXHAUST SYSTEM EMITS IN EXCESS OF NINETY-FIVE DECIBELS AS MEASURED BY THE SOCIETY OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERS (SAE) STANDARD J1169 (May 1998). IT SHALL NOT BE A VIOLATION OF THIS SUBSECTION UNLESS PROVEN BY PROPER AUTHORITIES THAT THE EXHAUST SYTEM MODIFICATION RESULTS IN NOISE AMPLIFICATION IN EXCESS OF NINETY-FIVE DECIBELS UNDER THE PRESCRIBED SAE TEST STANDARD.

A COURT MAY DISMISS ANY ACTION FOR WHICH A PERSON IS PROSECUTED FOR OPERATING A VEHICLE IN VIOLATION OF THIS SUBSECTION IF IT IS FOUND THAT THE DEFENDANT HAD REASONABLE GROUNDS TO BELIEVE THAT THE VEHICLE WAS NOT OPERATED IN VIOLATION OF THIS SUBSECTION.

[and] n No person shall use a [muffler] cut-out, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

to see the whole thread you can click the above link, then "message board", then "War Stories", then "Cops 11 Me 1" ~7 threads down
Corey
TB Evo IX
My blogs...
www.luxurycarbargains.com
www.supercarbargains.com

Last edited by cs82685; Apr 14, 2007 at 12:15 PM.

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:38 PM   #8
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrblazin View Post
I didn't read the entire thread, just the summary. It probably wasn't a good idea for your brother to roll down the window as the mustang is pulled over. It's best to just mind your business and be glad you aren't getting pulled. This gesture most likely pissed off the cop. As for the reckless, obviously go to court and tell your side. That is a bad ticket and points which would suck. Club, drinking, cops in the area, mustang doing burnouts, yea thats really wierd people are getting tickets

pissed off the cop? he didnt do it to the cop, he did it to the mustang driver as we drove away, the cop was like 1 car length parked behind him. he didnt stick his hand out the window...so the cop def. didnt see.
Evo-NY #014

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Again he never saw me, never pulled me over, never looked at my licesne. The 1st ticket i got was placed on my windshield which means he never saw me. The other 2 tickets were mailed to me, again he never saw me. For all I know, I could have been DWI, a killer, stole the car, held someone hostage in the car, not had insurance or registration, carried a gun, and he never would have known, because he never saw me. He mailed me the ticket because he already had my plates from when he gave me the parking ticket.

For all I know, I can go to my local police station, file a report that my car was stolen that night, joyridden, recieved 1 ticket and cop mailed others. and my car was put back at my house. Have my parents come down and say I was home that night.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF of anything. OH AND YEA I ALREADY CALLED THE CLUB AND THE CVS AND ASKED THEM IF THEY HAVE SECURITY CAMERAS, AND THEY SAID NO...SO TECHNICALLY, I CAN SAY I WASNT EVEN THERE. LOL
Evo-NY #014

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 03 Evo

Send a message via AIM to Malick67 Send a message via Yahoo to Malick67
You egged on the guy by revving at him and then laughing at him... you deserve it. I would of just went around the block to avoid the idiot.

20g 94oct/meth

-Gary

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:50 PM   #11
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malick67 View Post
You egged on the guy by revving at him and then laughing at him... you deserve it. I would of just went around the block to avoid the idiot.
Yes i was pissed I received the parking ticket, I saw a guy doing burnout, I provoked him to do a burnout so that he can get pulled over...but I didnt put a gun to his head to do it. He is responsible for his actions.
Evo-NY #014

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs82685 View Post
If you decide to go to court to fight this, you might be able to fight the muffler ticket too if you want, I'm not sure of the exact law in Jersey, but here's some info on it and where to search for it...

From enjoythedrive.com link posted above

N.J. Stat. @ 39:3-70 (2002)

@ 39:3-70. [Mufflers]

Every motor vehicle having a combustion motor shall at all times be equipped
with a [muffler] in good working order and in constant operation to prevent
[excessive or unusual noise and] annoying smoke, AND NO PERSON SHALL MODIFY THE EXHAUST SYSTEM OF A MOTOR VEHICLE IN A MANNER SO THAT THE EXHAUST SYSTEM EMITS IN EXCESS OF NINETY-FIVE DECIBELS AS MEASURED BY THE SOCIETY OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERS (SAE) STANDARD J1169 (May 1998). IT SHALL NOT BE A VIOLATION OF THIS SUBSECTION UNLESS PROVEN BY PROPER AUTHORITIES THAT THE EXHAUST SYTEM MODIFICATION RESULTS IN NOISE AMPLIFICATION IN EXCESS OF NINETY-FIVE DECIBELS UNDER THE PRESCRIBED SAE TEST STANDARD.

A COURT MAY DISMISS ANY ACTION FOR WHICH A PERSON IS PROSECUTED FOR OPERATING A VEHICLE IN VIOLATION OF THIS SUBSECTION IF IT IS FOUND THAT THE DEFENDANT HAD REASONABLE GROUNDS TO BELIEVE THAT THE VEHICLE WAS NOT OPERATED IN VIOLATION OF THIS SUBSECTION.

[and] n No person shall use a [muffler] cut-out, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

to see the whole thread you can click the above link, then "message board", then "War Stories", then "Cops 11 Me 1" ~7 threads down

Thak you so much.
Evo-NY #014

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:55 PM   #13
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (12)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: o6 evoIX GG

I would fight it.Go to court

Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:06 PM   #14
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 04' Lancer Ralliart

Send a message via AIM to Kami
Find out who the cop was, find his home, burn it to the ground and torture his family, and close friends..... ha ha

That's bs I had sort of the same thing happen to me. Opened the mailbox one day, and had a defective/modified exhaust ticket in the mailbox claiming repeated disruption of the public. Funny thing is, I don't have a modified exhaust, completely bone stock actually. Went to the court date, and the cop didn't show. Ticket was dropped, and I filed a complaint with the department.

Last edited by Kami; Apr 14, 2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: didn't finish my post

Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:19 PM   #15
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (37)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: like I've got a pair.

Fight it . . . . with a lawyer. What's a few hundred bucks when the alternative is a ticket that could get your insurance dropped? Do it right, and good luck.
BR 2.0, Stg 3 head, FPred @ 39psi, Ptd/ctd Ex. mani, Ptd Intake mani, WORKS DP w/ RTP, Tanabe Touring Medallion, Apexi filter, APS twin-vent, Aperture II TB, Cossie M2's, JAM lifters, BR Dbl Pumper, PTE 1200's, AMS fuel rail, Sparktech non-CDI, ETS LICP, Perrin FMIC, ETS UICP, Irragi Alt, Hallman Pro RX, Beatrush + CROX II, Whiteline, Tanabe Pro 5's, LC-1, Defi's, JDM rear, UK badge, SE lip, Volk's, 512/478 on E85.

Tuned by Mellon--- He's the MAN :)

Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:19 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
california, driving, false, filing, multiple, nj, penalties, philadelphoa, police, pull, reckless, report, state, tickets, vehicles