Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

A Long Time Project

Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A Long Time Project

Hey guys, as ya'll know my lancer is just a basic econo-box, but I was really wanting some power... I was doing some research on engine swaps, and wanted to make sure that my theory would be correct. I was looking at swapping a 4G64 with 4G63 DOHC heads, then installing a 16G turbo. Would this work?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
I have a low mileage 16g6 Viii turbo if you ever decide to go down that road
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aceldama
Hey guys, as ya'll know my lancer is just a basic econo-box, but I was really wanting some power... I was doing some research on engine swaps, and wanted to make sure that my theory would be correct. I was looking at swapping a 4G64 with 4G63 DOHC heads, then installing a 16G turbo. Would this work?
Just buy a couple of year old GSR. Way less expensive
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
How is that way less expensive? Lol
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Supraboy1
I'm with Tom, you'd be better off just buying a '03 Evo VIII which can be had for under $15k. Definitely your better value in the long run in terms of reliability, resale, simplicity, etc. Swaps will almost always nickel & dime you to death just to get running correctly unless it's something straightforward like a mix & match Honda.

Take your "mod money" and tuck it away into an Evo savings account and once you have a decent down-payment saved up trade in the Lancer on an affordable Evo. The performance level of a bone stock Evo will far surpass that of a modified Lancer; besides for just the power output, you also need to factor in the chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels, seats, drivetrain, etc. that all come standard on that Evo that would require upgrading on the Lancer.

Last edited by Kracka; Sep 10, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

i have a 4g64 long rod in my evo 8, idk how itd go about on an 02 OZ though.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:12 PM

well, if I had the money for a GSR, I would get one. I really want to try and get my hands on a EIII...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I'm with Tom, you'd be better off just buying a '03 Evo VIII which can be had for under $15k. Definitely your better value in the long run in terms of reliability, resale, simplicity, etc. Swaps will almost always nickel & dime you to death just to get running correctly unless it's something straightforward like a mix & match Honda.

Take your "mod money" and tuck it away into an Evo savings account and once you have a decent down-payment saved up trade in the Lancer on an affordable Evo. The performance level of a bone stock Evo will far surpass that of a modified Lancer; besides for just the power output, you also need to factor in the chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels, seats, drivetrain, etc. that all come standard on that Evo that would require upgrading on the Lancer.
the only thing that will nickel and dime you to death is a high mileage evo you payed 12-15k for do NOT do this.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
the only thing that will nickel and dime you to death is a high mileage evo you payed 12-15k for do NOT do this.
I promise I can get a Evo 8 in decent enough shape it won't be bad to maintain even for less then 14k.

Now hacking a lancer to try and be like an Evo, THAT is going to be a money pit.

Both of the guys I've known to turbo older gen lancers drive Evo 8s now. And the only guy I know with a new gen lancer he turboed is selling it.

For what it's worth, 4g64 built motor from me: 3000+ depending on parts you want. An Evo 8 head : 750+. Intake manifold, head studs, gasket set, throttle body, sensors, wiring harness, ecu, turbo kit, fuel system, intercooler, intercooler pipes, boost controller, an exhaust, oil pump, water pump, alternator... You can see where this is going. Interestingly, the 4g94 bolt pattern I believe is the same as the 4g64 so the lancer trans might work. It's just more then likely not gonna be very strong and I know the turbo lancer I worked on kept breaking act clutches.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
Proper maintenance is key. Buy one that's been well-cared for and keep up on the service. There are Evo VIII's with over 300k miles on them still running the stock engine and trans...some are even modified. Like anything else, if you take care of it, it will take care of you in return.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aceldama
well, if I had the money for a GSR, I would get one. I really want to try and get my hands on a EIII...
I'm guessing your Lancer is worth probably around $3k or so...for what you're wanting to do, why not sell it and get a DSM, or Galant VR-4, for around the same price? You'd spend less freshening up and maintaining one of those than turbocharging/swapping/modifying/maintaining your Lancer. Plus, they're AWD and can be pretty fun cars with even a few easy free mods.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Proper maintenance is key. Buy one that's been well-cared for and keep up on the service. There are Evo VIII's with over 300k miles on them still running the stock engine and trans...some are even modified. Like anything else, if you take care of it, it will take care of you in return.
Totally agree, these things are bulletproof if taken care of properly at moderate power levels. Additionally, we have two of the best Evo shops in the world right here. They know these cars in and out, and there is not a situation that they cannot diagnose and fix.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
Totally agree, these things are bulletproof if taken care of properly at moderate power levels. Additionally, we have two of the best Evo shops in the world right here. They know these cars in and out, and there is not a situation that they cannot diagnose and fix.
Perfectly said.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
Plus we also have THE BEST Mitsubishi dealership in the country
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
I promise I can get a Evo 8 in decent enough shape it won't be bad to maintain even for less then 14k.

Now hacking a lancer to try and be like an Evo, THAT is going to be a money pit.

Both of the guys I've known to turbo older gen lancers drive Evo 8s now. And the only guy I know with a new gen lancer he turboed is selling it.

For what it's worth, 4g64 built motor from me: 3000+ depending on parts you want. An Evo 8 head : 750+. Intake manifold, head studs, gasket set, throttle body, sensors, wiring harness, ecu, turbo kit, fuel system, intercooler, intercooler pipes, boost controller, an exhaust, oil pump, water pump, alternator... You can see where this is going. Interestingly, the 4g94 bolt pattern I believe is the same as the 4g64 so the lancer trans might work. It's just more then likely not gonna be very strong and I know the turbo lancer I worked on kept breaking act clutches.
Those are some sweet prices I wish I lived in the states, and while I do agree with you that te initial costs would be more worth it buying an evo but some people just dont have the time and money to maintain such a car, I don't think it would be smart turboing a lancer either if it were me in op's position I'd just look into an entirely different car or a dsm or something with a similar application.