Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Good news for Evo X GSR owners - CMC recall!

Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Kracka, im in the Ft Hood area and I got my notice in the mail literally the day before I had to deploy overseas.. Is there a time limit on when u can get this done? Also, I'm having a few things done to my ride while I'm gone and was actually looking at putting in an ACT HDSS. I got a 2012 GSR with about 9000k on it and when I get done with these next batch of upgrades im prob going to be sitting right around 400whp/360tq. Do u think this new CMC is good to go or should I go ahead with something more proven??
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
There is no time limit on recalls. I wouldn't bother upgrading your clutch until the stocker gives you trouble. Mine is still holding perfectly fine at 69k miles and 425/400. I do suggest having the stock plastic restrictor pill removed from the slave cylinder ASAP though.

As for proven aftermarket CMC upgrades...there really isn't one in my opinion. I'd stick with the revised stock CMC provided with this recall.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
There is no time limit on recalls. I wouldn't bother upgrading your clutch until the stocker gives you trouble. Mine is still holding perfectly fine at 69k miles and 425/400. I do suggest having the stock plastic restrictor pill removed from the slave cylinder ASAP though.

As for proven aftermarket CMC upgrades...there really isn't one in my opinion. I'd stick with the revised stock CMC provided with this recall.
What's the stock restrictor pill and how do you remove it?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:38 AM

Hey good info thx Kracka. I was thinking the same thing actually. I was going to just go ahead and but a new clutch while I got the extra cash and keep it on hand till the stock poops the bed.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by the_window

yes what is that and why remove it?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the_window
Originally Posted by xRANGERxDANGERx
yes what is that and why remove it?
It is a clutch delay valve; it basically delays the release/engagement of the clutch. Remove it to prevent excessive clutch slippage which can and will lead to premature clutch failure. I removed mine at 3k miles which is why my stock clutch has survived so long and is still holding perfect.

It's a little plastic pill inside the clutch slave cylinder held in place with a little spring; they can easily be poked out with a small allen wrench or glasses screwdriver.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

It is a clutch delay valve; it basically delays the release/engagement of the clutch. Remove it to prevent excessive clutch slippage which can and will lead to premature clutch failure. I removed mine at 3k miles which is why my stock clutch has survived so long and is still holding perfect.

It's a little plastic pill inside the clutch slave cylinder held in place with a little spring; they can easily be poked out with a small allen wrench or glasses screwdriver.
Is it easy to remove or does Cobb or EvoD need to do it?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Easy to do with simple tools, just remove the intake and you'll see the slave. You will need to bleed the clutch afterward so get a pint of DOT4 brake fluid.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

^Just to add to the conversation. Here is what it looks like.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7332608-post26.html
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by rmondoh
^Just to add to the conversation. Here is what it looks like.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7332608-post26.html

Good info guys and thx. Funny how something so small can have such a big impact. Makes u wonder why its even there to begin with?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Prevents dumbasses from destroying the drivetrain; basically forces the clutch to be the weak point in the drivetrain. If your idea of a good time is revving the engine to redline and dumping the clutch over and over and over again, then the pill is a good idea
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:14 AM

Prevents dumbasses from destroying the drivetrain; basically forces the clutch to be the weak point in the drivetrain. If your idea of a good time is revving the engine to redline and dumping the clutch over and over and over again, then the pill is a good idea

Is that from launching or just doing pulls in any gear to redline? I don't launch although I have a few times just because, but I felt guilty almost after I did so I don't anymore haha... I really don't even go past 6500 even when I do get on it so when I go to get tuned up at Cobb Plano ill ask them if they can remove it for me.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Launching is what I was referring to, high-RPM shifts from gear to gear is fine
Old May 11, 2014, 01:28 PM

Part Number?

Free brake fluid flush, can't beat that. Hopefully Don Herring lets us supply our own fluid
What is the part number on those replacement/upgrade CMCs? I have a base model lancer and it has the same POS plastic CMC as the Evolution, and I have just gone through two of them splitting in half.

Wanting to purchase the replacement CMC.
Old May 12, 2014, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...TER%20CYLINDER

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good news for Evo X GSR owners - CMC recall!