Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Inexpensive racing

Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inexpensive racing

What forms of racing can I get into that is relatively inexpensive in the DFW metro?

Daily driving a track car is costing more than I expected.. I'm contemplating on selling the Evo X, and picking up an old truck and a kart or formula Vee.

Any thoughts? Any of yall have experience with either kart or formula Vee racing?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
karts are not cheap! I'd still say racing a DD type car is cheaper. But iracing is way cheaper. And you get loads more seat time
Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
karts are not cheap! I'd still say racing a DD type car is cheaper. But iracing is way cheaper. And you get loads more seat time
They can't be more expensive to purchase and maintain, can they? I was thinking $10k could get me in a decent used Rotax with spares and safety gear.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sorry, i got confused. Yes you can race those inexpensively compared to buying a separate passenger vehicle. To be competitive, it is very expensive, and prohibitively so for most people.

I dont have 10k to spend on racing, so i'm stuck with my passenger vehicle for now. I'll still submit though that it is cheaper when you take into account the time value of money. 10k spent now + maintenance of a kart over time?? VS Maintenance on your DD over time.

If you are focused on seperating your DD and track machine, i ended up buying a 95 accord for 2k with 200k miles on it for my DD. 10k miles later its still running, and my evo is reserved for weekends, dates, trackdays, and times when an awd burnout is the only cure for life's frustrations.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i own a rotax dd2 kart that i like to fool around with. plan on doing some club races in it this year.

price of a good used kart like that is around 5k. maintainance is pretty low. tires are more expensive than you might think though. storage/transport and how much you will actually use it should be factored as well as personal safety gear.