Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Long Island 91 octane gas..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Long Island 91 octane gas..

Yup.. you guessed it.. Long Island (And I think all of new york) gets the same 91 octane **** that California is getting.. I just went to fill up with Sunoco Ultra 94.. Only to discover its now Ultra 93.. And what did I notice? 91 octane for $1.99 a gallon.. Ugh.. You guys might want to rethink some of your tuning and adjust accordingly. The good news is that my car ran better on this new blend of Ultra 93, than it did with the old Ultra 94.. But This is really bumming me out.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 08:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't you guys have the same CARB standards as cali now too? The two seem to go hand in hand.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

carb standards? who? wat? whats an inspection? hehehe
Old Nov 15, 2003, 08:35 PM
EvoM Guru

It seems that way.. It does seem that the QUALITY of the gas is better than it was before, The Ultra93 I filled up with actually runs alot better than the Ultra94 I was using.. Go figure, I do know that the additive used previously to boost octane is different than what their using for the new forumation.

What really sucks is in some cases modifications may become more difficult if NY and Long Island do go more in Cali's direction and CARB restrictions.. (NYARB?? hehe)
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

lol ya.. in PA we have ghetto inspectors.. i give my guy a case of beer to inspect my car and he makes me even scrape it off myself and give me the sticker lol... inspection what..??
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

I hope jersey doesn't go this route.............
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm is this about we are getting 91 octane in future or its about SUnocos selling 93 octane now ?? I heard about the switch to ethonol in gas besides the price going up any effects on octane in the future??
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Grod101
I hope jersey doesn't go this route.............
If it does I'm moving.

(YOU HEAR THAT, MOM!?!)
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Long Island 91 octane gas..

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Yup.. you guessed it.. Long Island (And I think all of new york) gets the same 91 octane **** that California is getting.. I just went to fill up with Sunoco Ultra 94.. Only to discover its now Ultra 93.. And what did I notice? 91 octane for $1.99 a gallon.. Ugh.. You guys might want to rethink some of your tuning and adjust accordingly. The good news is that my car ran better on this new blend of Ultra 93, than it did with the old Ultra 94.. But This is really bumming me out.
Not sure I'm understanding your post. You're saying that NY will get 91 octane max like CA? I know that when Sunoco doesn't have 94 octane they still sell 93 octane and so do most gas stations in NY. What makes you think we will be stuck with 91 octane?
Old Nov 16, 2003, 02:10 PM
EvoM Guru

I already have been to a gas station which has the new blend.. 91 octane will be the norm (replacing 93 octane) and Sunoco's Ultra94 has been replaced with Ultra 93.. So PREMIUM fuel at most gas stations will now be 91 octane instead of 93.. Its due to go into effect the end of the month, I'm just beginning to see it now at some stations.

And yes, its an ethanol blend fuel, but they also changed what "octane additive" they use to something considered a bit more environment friendly. Basically we're getting what California and one other state gets.

when the weather warms up again, I don't know if they are going to change blend, and if the octane will be back either.

94 octane gas was really only available for the most part from Sunoco in their Ultra94 product.. EVERYONE else pretty much was 93 octane premium.. This is what is changing.

How sucky is that?
Old Nov 16, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

yes, that does suck a lot
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

if it's the same additive that they put in cali gas... it eventually eats away at your gaskets and other stuff.... a lot of people with older cars had problems in cali because of the gas....
Old Nov 16, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I started a thread wile back about why California (and some other western states) have such crap gasoline. Someone wrote a paper on it when they were inschool, which basically said it was due to a patent or some other legal/business reason.

Do you think the switch to lower octanes in New York due to environmental reasons (if so what makes higher ocatane fuel less clean?) or perhaps lack of sales of 94 at Sunoco??
Old Nov 16, 2003, 05:46 PM

I think they use 91 because you get less and less higher octane fuel from a barrel of raw crude. Thus you get more 87 octane fuel than you would 94 octane or higher from crude oil.

I would bet that Sunoco wasn't selling much 94... here in NJ, 93 is around $1.60, Ultra 94 is $1.78.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 06:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Refined gasoline pretty much has the same (low) octane if you did not use additives.. It has nothing to do with the refining process.. Octane (was/is) an additive just like Tolulane and others including ethanol and other things that raises (or lowers) the gasoline's ability to be compressed without flashing (detonation)

http://www.ntu.org/misc_items/Implic...MTBE%20Ban.pdf

That is the full article on the situation of WHAT it is we're beginning to see, that is, the phasing out of MTBE additive in the fuel.

I just wanted to point out the real reasons.. It has nothing to do with Sunoco having poor sales of the 94 octane fuel. It has nothing to do with what the octane of refined raw gasoline since NOBODY gets just gasoline, everything is blended with other crap to get what we see at the pump.

The higher octane has NOTHING to do with not being as clean as lower octane gas.. If we were only to use reformulated gasoline, we're pretty much getting the same as what is made in(for) California.

I'm not sure why the octane ratings dropped other than the expense of getting this type of gas UP to what we want.. Or the simple fact that there are no refineries who are producing higher octane versions of the gas than what california uses.

One good thing we may see is Niche gas stations supplying Unocal's 100 octane unleaded fuel that some people in California use. (we have Cam2 here, and I have not yet seen nor heard how it will be effected, but at $5 a gallon, I doubt many of us would fill up on it regularly)

Oh.. And the problems people in California have with Reformulated gasoline is because of the higher percentage of alcohol in the gas, that is what eats away at fuel lines, gaskets, carbs, etc.. Anything that has older components in them which will corrode with Alcohol. Most new cars are designed with "Flex Fuel" in mind, and some will even run correctly (if not better) entirely off alcohol. (Anyone know if the Evo would run correctly if not better on Ethanol?? I'd love to run clean.. )

Last edited by MalibuJack; Nov 16, 2003 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Long Island 91 octane gas..