Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Fluid

Hey Eveyone, I'm wanting to swap my transmission fluid from OEM to something else. I've read a few posts, but couldn't find any real evidence for one over the other so I'm thinking of going with AMSOil. Does anyone have any reason why I shouldn't? If so, what would you suggest going with?
Old May 20, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

i had amsoil for 600 miles and loved it i got a 5th gear grind which wasn't related to the tranny fluid at all after i got my clutch installed. I switched to oem diaqueen which i got for virtually the same price as my amsoil but mitsubishi dealership that i called wouldn't warranty my tranny without oem fluids so after my synchro gets fixed i will be switching back to amsoil. My tranny is a lot notchier in shifting and my grind is worse with oem diaqueen.

cliffnotes: Amsoil FTW!
Old May 20, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Good to hear!!!
Old May 20, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I've had RedLine MT90 in other cars and now my evo for a while. The cold weather performance of the oil is aweful and if there was a improvement in performance it would have to be at the molecular level.

Long story short: I will be going with the Aimsoil synchromesh GL fluid at my next swap (before fall) and expect an improvement.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iseedipp
i had amsoil for 600 miles and loved it i got a 5th gear grind which wasn't related to the tranny fluid at all after i got my clutch installed. I switched to oem diaqueen which i got for virtually the same price as my amsoil but mitsubishi dealership that i called wouldn't warranty my tranny without oem fluids so after my synchro gets fixed i will be switching back to amsoil. My tranny is a lot notchier in shifting and my grind is worse with oem diaqueen.

cliffnotes: Amsoil FTW!
My friend Magnuson Act, is a law passed that prohibits any OEM manufacturer or dealer to deny your waranty because of using after market products,,,, AS LONG AS THEY MEET EXCEED OEM SPECS. AMSOIL exceeds Mitsu specs by far
Old May 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I've been on these forums I've heard so many horror stories about transfer cases and transmissions, there's no way I'd run anything but diaqueen.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by GTisRule
Since I've been on these forums I've heard so many horror stories about transfer cases and transmissions, there's no way I'd run anything but diaqueen.
big dogs with big power are running other stuff not OEM
Old May 20, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

i had all amsoil fluids in my car soon to be all minus brake fluid. All vehicles that i own will now have amsoil fluid.

apagn i've already posted this and talked to bob the oil doc about this. there's no sense in getting in a pissing match with mitsu over tranny fluid. Since i'm already running an aftermarket exedy stage 2 clutch. It's easier for me to just spend the $34 for diaqueen and then purchase some more amsoil.
Old May 20, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

I bought AMSoil from apagan01 but I haven't had a chance to put it in yet. I'm a little overdue heh.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

I've been running AMSOil tranny fluid for a while now. It has handled the track abuse without breaking a sweat. dbsears is also running it and has had no problems. We both have MRs.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome!!! Thanks everyone, I'll be picking some up soon.
Old May 20, 2010, 06:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by iseedipp
i had all amsoil fluids in my car soon to be all minus brake fluid. All vehicles that i own will now have amsoil fluid.

apagn i've already posted this and talked to bob the oil doc about this. there's no sense in getting in a pissing match with mitsu over tranny fluid. Since i'm already running an aftermarket exedy stage 2 clutch. It's easier for me to just spend the $34 for diaqueen and then purchase some more amsoil.
i am passive guy, no reason to even mention that. peopl will buy what they feel is best for their 30+ K investment
Old May 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Oh BTW Caesar, I still need to find time to contact you about the stencil. Just been really busy with stuff.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep like Karl says I have been running it for awhile. I've tried Motul and many of the others too over the past 3yrs. I find Amsoil to work the best. I do only run Diaqueen in the rear diff and transfer case though. It's just essentially a mineral 90wt. I put my car through it's paces quite often and my MR still kicking good with over 50k miles with a good chunk of power.

I know too many horror stories about Redline, seen more than a few Blackstone lab reports on it from mild tracking and it bewilders me why vendors even recommend it. I suppose for drag or changing it out after every track event helps but I have driven a few cars with it and know people with odd failures running it. Never been impressed but then again some have had luck with it...

Last edited by dbsears; May 20, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by foam
Oh BTW Caesar, I still need to find time to contact you about the stencil. Just been really busy with stuff.
For sure, just get a hold of me.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid