Notices

2012 Software Reflash on a 2011 Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2012 Software Reflash on a 2011 Outlander Sport

Anyone else done this? In early June my dealer reflashed my entire ECU when I requested that the CPS TSB be addressed. At first I was pretty mad, as my car drove like ****, but after a short "relearning" period for the CVT, my acceleration is smoother, my powerband is more even, my engine is MUCH quieter, and my MPG's have skyrocketed. I was averaging aroun 28 MPG mixed but I am not averaging 31+ MPG mixed! See the chart below!

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/burton...port/fuelchart
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No but I am now interested...

Where did you find the TSBs for the car? I have not had the dealer touch my car other than the 15k intervals. I am due for my 30k service in about 5k miles. I need them to check out a suspension tapping sound as well as my driver window rattle. so anything else I can add to the list will be good to do at this time.

-Mike
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The window make the noise in the full up or down position? If not, its a common occurance we have been seeing with them also.

With the suspension tapping noise, is under a good size bump and you hear a knocking noise? My Fiance hasone and we hear that noise from time to time also. There isnt anything loose but it is annoying.

I will be looking into this reflash tomorrow as I work at a dealer.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:21 PM
EvoM Moderator

TSB info is here: http://goo.gl/mCKUtW

And that window rattle is annoying as hell!!!!!! Is there any fix for it? Luckily I am not having the suspension issue.

EDIT - 22-OCT-2013 - Changed broken link to a short URL through Google URL shortener.

Last edited by Burtonrider1002; Oct 22, 2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 PM
EvoM Moderator

You will have to change the stars in the link to "S H I T" for mitsubiSHI Technical lol
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
EvoM Moderator

Correction, the PDF for the TSB's is attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PCMUpdates.pdf (355.6 KB, 0 views)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

My driver window only rattles if the window is partly open. Fully open and fully closed it doesn't rattle. When you open it the sound is pretty bad. Almost sounds like there is sand scratching the glass. The suspension tap is something that I just noticed this week. It is random too. Some bumps cause it others do not. The car drives 100% normal so I am not sure.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealers in Canada suck!

I've been fighting with them to get a few of the TSBs taken care of with the updated ECU software.

But all i've been getting is the run around and BS excuses, apparently even though it's a known issue, they have to see it happen, meaning I have to leave my car with them for days while they try to reproduce the issue.

I've already left my car with them for a half a day, and I doubt they even looked at it because they said they can't find it and won't do the ECU update.

***ing BS.
What's the point of your stupid warranty if you make up stupid excuses and make it impossible for the customer to use it?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by tdott
Dealers in Canada suck!

I've been fighting with them to get a few of the TSBs taken care of with the updated ECU software.

But all i've been getting is the run around and BS excuses, apparently even though it's a known issue, they have to see it happen, meaning I have to leave my car with them for days while they try to reproduce the issue.

I've already left my car with them for a half a day, and I doubt they even looked at it because they said they can't find it and won't do the ECU update.

***ing BS.
What's the point of your stupid warranty if you make up stupid excuses and make it impossible for the customer to use it?

That is strange... In the US the dealers get to charge Mitsu for roughly .5 hours of work to reflash the ECU, which takes the service tech all of 5 minutes so it is mostly profit for the service dept. Print that TSB sheet out and show it to your service writer.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
That is strange... In the US the dealers get to charge Mitsu for roughly .5 hours of work to reflash the ECU, which takes the service tech all of 5 minutes so it is mostly profit for the service dept. Print that TSB sheet out and show it to your service writer.
I did take the printout of the TSB. At first they claim the TSB was issued for US Outlander Sports and not the Canadian RVR (Same ****).
Then apparently they have this stupid policy where the tech has to see the issue happening before they can do the warranty work.

Never had this issue with any other dealers. Likely never buying another Mitshu because their service sucks here in Canada and i've tried 3 different dealers here in my area.

Don't get me started to how many visits it took to update the Stereo system to work with my iPhone. It was like I had to educate 3 different dealers on things they should know about their cars, finally one understood what I was talking about and agreed to do it...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tdott
I did take the printout of the TSB. At first they claim the TSB was issued for US Outlander Sports and not the Canadian RVR (Same ****).
Then apparently they have this stupid policy where the tech has to see the issue happening before they can do the warranty work.

Never had this issue with any other dealers. Likely never buying another Mitshu because their service sucks here in Canada and i've tried 3 different dealers here in my area.

Don't get me started to how many visits it took to update the Stereo system to work with my iPhone. It was like I had to educate 3 different dealers on things they should know about their cars, finally one understood what I was talking about and agreed to do it...
Call up Mitsu corporate about the issue. They will have your local Rep call you back in about 48 hours. And I'm sure the Rep will get a local dealer to do it for you. Mitsu warranty isn't all that bad. It's the bad dealerships that Mitsu allows to sale their product that is the problem.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:14 PM

so to keep my outie sport i have to go get my second one change which the first one was free...mitsubishi is charging me 60-80 they pull the b.s. comment well its "synthetic oil" only the best....i used to do my old oil changes on my other vehicles and cost me 25-35 with the oil filter......CRAZY...and i asked about the idle problem when at a stop and warming up how extremely loud it gets...they said it will be $$$120 bucks to REFLASH!!! **** them
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by OutlanderSport1
so to keep my outie sport i have to go get my second one change which the first one was free...mitsubishi is charging me 60-80 they pull the b.s. comment well its "synthetic oil" only the best....i used to do my old oil changes on my other vehicles and cost me 25-35 with the oil filter......CRAZY...and i asked about the idle problem when at a stop and warming up how extremely loud it gets...they said it will be $$$120 bucks to REFLASH!!! **** them

No... it really does require synthetic oil... and synthetic is substantially more expensive than dino oil. Keep in mind, you might be getting charged double the price of an old oil change, but with synthetic you get double the mileage. So it is better for the car, and doesn't ACTUALLY cost any extra in the long run.

The reflash charge is crazy. Contact MMA and explain the situation to them, hopefully they will tell their dealer to knock that **** off. If they don't, I must say, the reflash was worth $120... But, again, it is a TSB on a car under waranty, their CRAZY if they think they can charge for it. Take them to small claims court, they'll stop voiding their own contracts then.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
Anyone else done this? In early June my dealer reflashed my entire ECU when I requested that the CPS TSB be addressed. At first I was pretty mad, as my car drove like ****, but after a short "relearning" period for the CVT, my acceleration is smoother, my powerband is more even, my engine is MUCH quieter, and my MPG's have skyrocketed. I was averaging aroun 28 MPG mixed but I am not averaging 31+ MPG mixed! See the chart below!

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/burton...port/fuelchart
Interesting, I'll have to check with the dealer to see if I can get this reflashed, then I can compare and see what changes they made. If I had to guess they changed things with the MIVEC maps in the cruise areas but it could also be timing advance.

On page 38-39 I only see 3 TSB's listed and of course none of them mention anything about MPG improvements or CVT changes. I'm not sure which one the CPS TSB is or even what CPS stands for but these 2 apply to the CVT models:

TSB−11−13−008REV
ECM Reprogramming
for DTC P0016 or
P0017: Crankshaft/
Camshaft Position

TSB−11−13−011
Possible Cold Weather
Engine RPM Drop
and/or Unstable Idle

Do you know which one got applied?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:50 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Interesting, I'll have to check with the dealer to see if I can get this reflashed, then I can compare and see what changes they made. If I had to guess they changed things with the MIVEC maps in the cruise areas but it could also be timing advance.

On page 38-39 I only see 3 TSB's listed and of course none of them mention anything about MPG improvements or CVT changes. I'm not sure which one the CPS TSB is or even what CPS stands for but these 2 apply to the CVT models:

TSB−11−13−008REV
ECM Reprogramming
for DTC P0016 or
P0017: Crankshaft/
Camshaft Position

TSB−11−13−011
Possible Cold Weather
Engine RPM Drop
and/or Unstable Idle

Do you know which one got applied?

Those are the two I inquired about, and I was told by the service writer that there was an option from Mitsu to do a COMPLETE reflash on the entire ECU to the 2012 Outlander Sport software. The same as what is in the new cars, which I believe I read involved slight timing differences, MIVEC changes, and shift "point" changes to the CVT, hence the learning period...

Obviously I can only go off what the Stealership fed me, but the car drives much different than before and it's much nicer overall.

Quick Reply: 2012 Software Reflash on a 2011 Outlander Sport