Notices

Need Help removing 2011 RVR front bumper

Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help removing 2011 RVR front bumper

Hi guys,i need your help..i want to repair my rvr myself and i want to know if we have a How-To-Videos removing the from bumper..my wife accidentaly hit a filing cabinet while parking in our garage..heres the pic..if you guys can help how can i fix it by guiding what to buy and how to do it. Thanks everyone.

Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:38 PM

You can find a bumper cover at Rock Auto for $95 not painted. Painting it would probably cost as much if not more. Shipping might hurt you as well. If you know how to use Bondo, that would be your best bet with some fiberglass backing for support. Then painted and you are good to go.

Bumper Removal.pdf

Last edited by kspann; Mar 11, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
@DhiJay23,
That's easily repairable.
It looks like a clean break. You probably don't even need to do too much paint work.

1. So, first - I would suggest that you get yourself my special tool - Body Clips Remover

(it's the HomeDepot's FREE paint can opener)

Use it to safely remove ALL those plastic bumper-panel retaining clips.

2. Once that's done the bumper just pops right off.

3. Then, get yourself one of these kits (follow the instructions, Wear gloves.) >
3M Bumper Repair Kit

4. Prep the area behind the damage on the inside of the bumper > by sanding and ...

By applying a coat of adhesion promoter.

7. Finally tell wife to bring you a nice cold

Cheers!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, sorry to hear. I have no real input to this topic but just wanted to share a similar story from yesterday. My girlfriend was trying to open the trunk and mistood the back up camera for the trunk handle which she ended up pulling right off!

And I thought I had it bad...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by infected
Ouch, sorry to hear. I have no real input to this topic but just wanted to share a similar story from yesterday. My girlfriend was trying to open the trunk and mistood the back up camera for the trunk handle which she ended up pulling right off!

And I thought I had it bad...

I think our cameras are break-away designs, they seem very "loose" in its slot/mounting.

In fact, with our crazy temperature swings we have had... I'd noticed our camera was slightly ajar. Guess the cold (and heat) made the plastic tab flex just enough to allow it to drop/pop out. But, I was able to pop it back in with a small amount of force.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mRVRsport
I think our cameras are break-away designs, they seem very "loose" in its slot/mounting.

In fact, with our crazy temperature swings we have had... I'd noticed our camera was slightly ajar. Guess the cold (and heat) made the plastic tab flex just enough to allow it to drop/pop out. But, I was able to pop it back in with a small amount of force.
Is your camera OEM? I opted for the aftermarket camera built into the license plate light so I could align the view closer to dead center of the bumper. I was tempted to order the OEM but worried it would be too far offset to be compatible with my headunit. Good thing it was a clean break and I managed to piece the assembly back together with some krazy glue.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by infected
Is your camera OEM? I opted for the aftermarket camera built into the license plate light so I could align the view closer to dead center of the bumper. I was tempted to order the OEM but worried it would be too far offset to be compatible with my headunit. Good thing it was a clean break and I managed to piece the assembly back together with some krazy glue.
ah.. I see. Well, mine is OEM. & They are off center!
IF I can only center up my driving position (within the vehicle), that would be nice.

Should have had your GF crazy glue the thing back together.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

I should thank kspann for his PDF diagrams. Very handy.

To DhiJay23,
More photos..

Just giving a shoutout to our MOD Burtonrider for his photo share >

Front of Subframe after bumper removal. (Looking straight on at it. Giving you a clue what's all back behind the skin.)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
I should thank kspann for his PDF diagrams. Very handy.

To DhiJay23,
More photos..

Just giving a shoutout to our MOD Burtonrider for his photo share >

Front of Subframe after bumper removal. (Looking straight on at it. Giving you a clue what's all back behind the skin.)
Thanks a bunch man..can you put some arrows to indicate where those clips or screws located?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 06:00 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The bumper was removed by the bodyshop, not me, sorry. I'll say this though, he had it off in less than 5 minutes, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 06:29 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
*cough* *cough* these might help you

Need Help removing 2011 RVR front bumper-ut2ib8d.jpg

Need Help removing 2011 RVR front bumper-isr98w9.png

Need Help removing 2011 RVR front bumper-shahg8u.png
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:29 AM

Im thinking of cutting my bumper just under the upper plastic grill/above middle plastic that the license plate goes on. Cutting it straight with the groove under the headlights and making a custom steel bumper, since my father owns a heavy machinery shop. Already busted my radiator and air conditioning condenser. 1100 later its fixed, custom skid plate and bumper will fix that. What do you guys think? ill be switching rims/tires and adding spacers.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cormier34
Im thinking of cutting my bumper just under the upper plastic grill/above middle plastic that the license plate goes on. Cutting it straight with the groove under the headlights and making a custom steel bumper, since my father owns a heavy machinery shop. Already busted my radiator and air conditioning condenser. 1100 later its fixed, custom skid plate and bumper will fix that. What do you guys think? ill be switching rims/tires and adding spacers.
You could seriously compromise the safety of the occupants in your (and even the other) car in case of a collision. The crumple zones were designed to lengthen the time of the contact upon collision and thus, lower the peak force (google for impulse as a physical quantity). If you install bull bars or any rigid barrier you bypass or reduce the efficiency of the crumpling zones. You may save your radiator but can suffer serious injury. Let rather the metal break than the bones. I am sure the advocates of bull bars and hitches as car protectors will advise you otherwise. My response takes only safety and and courtesy to other drivers into account.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
You could seriously compromise the safety of the occupants in your (and even the other) car in case of a collision. The crumple zones were designed to lengthen the time of the contact upon collision and thus, lower the peak force (google for impulse as a physical quantity). If you install bull bars or any rigid barrier you bypass or reduce the efficiency of the crumpling zones. You may save your radiator but can suffer serious injury. Let rather the metal break than the bones. I am sure the advocates of bull bars and hitches as car protectors will advise you otherwise. My response takes only safety and and courtesy to other drivers into account.
I see what you're saying, but i dont buy vehicles for their safety features, I could see if i would have kids and family in the car but I don't. Ill asl advice from a 4x4 shop, thanks for the reply tho.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:33 AM

documentation

Originally Posted by kspann
You can find a bumper cover at Rock Auto for $95 not painted. Painting it would probably cost as much if not more. Shipping might hurt you as well. If you know how to use Bondo, that would be your best bet with some fiberglass backing for support. Then painted and you are good to go.

Attachment 220451
Hello there,
Sorry to revive an old topic lol
I'd need the source of that documentation for my ASX 2012 (Rvr or outlander for you, in france it's called asx) for headlights/bumper/fenders removing...u have a link handy please? Google'ing it since a few days, can't fint same useful detailed docs.
Same question for you @Burtonrider1002
Thank you!

Last edited by Alx31; Feb 23, 2020 at 12:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help removing 2011 RVR front bumper