Notices

DIY: Retrofiting Aftermarket USB Cable

Old May 11, 2014, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: Retrofiting Aftermarket USB Cable

I want to make my RVR as neat as possible regarding to cables and wiring. This was done so that I could retrofit the USB from the aftermarket radio to where the factory was. Loose cables from my glovebox really gets into me. Im gonna try to explain it as clear as I can since English is not my mother tongue, So bare with me guys.
Tools needed: USB Cable, Phillips head screwdriver, Wire Stripper. Soldering Iron, Electrical Tape and Prying tool.So this is my first DIY and I hoping to contribute to the OS community and thanks to cadilak78 for the tips how to removed the centerpiece trim.

1st: Remove the trim. Just follow this thread.DIY: Interior Trim Vinyl Wrap

2nd: Once the trim piece is removed, There's another piece that needs to be remove to locate the connections of the USB,12V and the AUX Inputs in the armrest box. There's 4 screws that needs to remove. (Sorry I forgot to take a picture. Just use the image above)

3rd: Once all the trims removed, You can see the connections are all exposed. Remove this connector that connects to factory USB

4th: I know its bad to cut the original wiring but since I want every wiring to be neat and I know its not gonna ruin any major connection I cut this wire that connects to the factory USB. Here's what inside the factory connector.

5th: Cut the Male USB cable and here's what inside.

6th: Connect the two cables together and here what your wiring should look like.

7th: Secure all connections and solder it together. I ran out of heat shrink so I used electrical tape on each wire connection and taped it again altogether.

8th: Connect the two USB and and start hiding the cable. I start mine from here all the way to the center.

9th: Reconnect this connector. (forgot to take pictures again)

10th: Start putting the trim pieces back together and Enjoy.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll help out any way I can

Last edited by DhiJay23; May 11, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old May 11, 2014, 06:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want the opposite. I want to turn that USB port back on because of my aftermarket radio. I already have a dual USB charger in the armrest.
Old May 13, 2014, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up!