Notices

Squishy Brakes

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 09:13 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Squishy Brakes

With roughly 64k miles on her, I had my first real dry-pavement emergency stop yesterday. I was approaching an intersection at around 45 MPH, green light, and a girl on a bike came flying out across traffic (obviously she was in the wrong, ignoring the red crossing signal), and I braked hard to avoid having to clean her off my hood. Tires held well, but I really felt like the brakes didn't grab as hard as they should have/could have.

Luckily, she stopped before entering my lane, or I would have hit her, albeit softly.

Most of my miles have been highway, and the pads/rotors have plenty of life left in them.

Anyone else notice anything similar? I'm thinking some stainless steel brake lines might be in order shortly...
Old May 22, 2014, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
With roughly 64k miles on her, I had my first real dry-pavement emergency stop yesterday. I was approaching an intersection at around 45 MPH, green light, and a girl on a bike came flying out across traffic (obviously she was in the wrong, ignoring the red crossing signal), and I braked hard to avoid having to clean her off my hood. Tires held well, but I really felt like the brakes didn't grab as hard as they should have/could have.

Luckily, she stopped before entering my lane, or I would have hit her, albeit softly.

Most of my miles have been highway, and the pads/rotors have plenty of life left in them.

Anyone else notice anything similar? I'm thinking some stainless steel brake lines might be in order shortly...
Good reflexes!
You've saved her life or at least from "any" injuries.

I've not noticed anything like that nor has my wife.
However, we haven't had any situations occur that required us to slam our brakes... (Hopefully, we never do.)

I'd say check your brake fluid level.. And, get your pad(S) replaced - Even if they "look" like they have some meat left. Cause at 60K+, it's worth the little investment since it's just old factory pads.

>> I'm sure steel lines are very nice, but I'd go with a New set of Pads & Upgraded Rotors first Before I shell out extra dollars for pretty re-enforced hoses... Just my 2 cents.

How about these? food for thought.
Chrome Brakes® - Drilled and Slotted Rotors
LINK

and

Monroe® - ProSolution™ Ceramic Brake Pads
LINK

Last edited by mRVRsport; May 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:31 PM
EvoM Moderator

Having done a "ghetto BBK" on my Audi A4 USP (Swapped in OEM S4 calipers, larger rotors, and performance pads) and later added SS lines, let me just tell you that you'd be AMAZED at how much SS lines can do to brakes.

When you brake hard, the fluid pressure causes the OEM rubber hydraulic lines to flex and swell, reducing the pressure applied at the caliper. SS lines don't flex nearly at all, and you get a MUCH more solid pedal.

To clarify, I'm not arguing the elephant in the room (60k = new pads/rotors), I'm just saying if anyone is looking for a great way to improve braking performance without dropping big $$$$ on a Brembo BBK, SS lines can be had for a couple hundred dollars and are well worth the price.
Old May 24, 2014, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

^
Alright.. I hear you on those.

So, might it be Mitsu's anti-lock brake system kicking in... that made it felt - "squishy"??
Old May 24, 2014, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mRVRsport
^
Alright.. I hear you on those.

So, might it be Mitsu's anti-lock brake system kicking in... that made it felt - "squishy"??
if you hit anti lock---you would have felt the brake pedal pulse... from there, there is nothing else you can do...great recommendations given above---all work well.
Old May 27, 2014, 03:26 PM
EvoM Moderator

Definitely no anti-lock.
Old May 27, 2014, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

^
Hmm...
Okay, just one more thing to keep an eye on now.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

I'm around 55K+ now and my brake pads are down to the shims.
Time to replace them but I'm debating on if I should get new rotors, or get the old ones turned.

Anyone have suggestions on what brand of pads or rotor+pads combos that I should look at or consider?

And, yes I'm now noticing the brakes being a tad squishy...
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Any decent name-brand should be fine. And whatever you get, be sure to "bed them in" properly! Makes all the difference in the world.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there anything special about our rotors since we have regenerative brakes. Also getting 60k on break pads is pretty good.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I though regen brakes were only in hybrids?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
I though regen brakes were only in hybrids?
Our OS have a regenerative braking system to help fuel economy and reduce alternator usage. I think it also helps prolong the life of the brakes since some of the inertia is used to generate electrical power
Old Mar 26, 2016, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

So it does... http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...b-18d74cab8999 I guess I shoulf RTFM, eh?