Notices

2013 Outlander Sport : TPMS (Low Tire Pressure)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
[SOLVED] 2013 Outlander Sport : TPMS (Low Tire Pressure)

Had the Low Tire Pressure (LTP) Warning Light come on the other day and just had the time today to look into it.
Check pressure - they were a tad low:

Front:
Driver | Passenger
30psi 31psi

Rear:
27psi 27.5psi

So, after airing them up to spec - 33psi ALL around. I was still getting the LTP
Okay, so I jumped online and searched around...
Come to find out we have TPMS sensor in the SPARE Tire too. Fine, checked that too and it was low > 34.5psi (it should be at 60psi)

Pumped it back up to 60psi and still getting the LTP light
I've called our dealer and will bring our vehicle in on Monday for them to run some diagnostics.

Will report back on findings.

UPDATE:
1. Our Spare Fat-Donut Tire DOES NOT have a tire inflation pressure sensor > it's noted in Owner's Manual, page 3-138

2. You MUST drive your vehicle for about 1/4 mile for the TPMS to reset on it's own. (Tip provided originally by Krakker)

Side NOTES:
a. TPMS MOD - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...light-fix.html (credit goes to Texas Travisty)

b. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...on-proved.html

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jan 3, 2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you driven the vehicle yet?
Not sure, but you may have to hold the button on the screen "thingy" while it's on to reset it. Might say something in the owners man. My Sonata just has to be restarted after re-airing them. You might try the neg. cable unhook, rehook up and see if that helps.
I had just got my new 19" wheels N tires on the Sonata and the 2nd week in we had a cold spell come through, when I went to the car after work, (now running 2nd shift teams again) all of them were a bit low. My tpms warning light was on. I was lucky it wasn't that much, so I made it to the service station by the interstate and air'd them up.
Not sure if there's a sensor to capture the spare, unless it's mounted. Can you verify?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

SOLVED! TPMS (LTP Warning) : You Need to Drive it for 1/4 miles

Originally Posted by Krakker
Have you driven the vehicle yet?
Not sure, but you may have to hold the button on the screen "thingy" while it's on to reset it. Might say something in the owners man. My Sonata just has to be restarted after re-airing them. You might try the neg. cable unhook, rehook up and see if that helps.
I had just got my new 19" wheels N tires on the Sonata and the 2nd week in we had a cold spell come through, when I went to the car after work, (now running 2nd shift teams again) all of them were a bit low. My tpms warning light was on. I was lucky it wasn't that much, so I made it to the service station by the interstate and air'd them up.
Not sure if there's a sensor to capture the spare, unless it's mounted. Can you verify?

Well.. no, I had only started up the vehicle while parked in the garage!
So, this got me thinking.. Perhaps I should go for a evening drive to get myself some coffee at StarBuck-eroos.

And, what would you know the LTP warning cleared itself.

Thanks Krakker!

PS: I guess I can let out some air from the Spare and see if the LTP comes back on - to confirm if there is a TPMS sensor in there...

Last edited by mRVRsport; Sep 13, 2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by mRVRsport

Thanks Krakker!

You got it.
Some vehicles are more sensitive to the sensor, some have to have the sensor pass by a certain point to pick up the signal.
What I don't know, is if the Mitsu's can run OK without them tpms suckers.
I'd like to get a set of snow tires and extra wheels perhaps.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

You got it.
Some vehicles are more sensitive to the sensor, some have to have the sensor pass by a certain point to pick up the signal.
That makes sense.

I'm just glad you mentioned the driving part.
We (my wife) had planned to take time off to drive the vehicle in by herself on Monday. It would have been a waste of time. So you saved us the trouble, for sure.

I'm sure our O.Sports will drive fine without the TPMS sensors, you'll just have to live with the LTP warning on in the dash cluster. (it's now mandatory by Big Brother.)

You need to have it re-calibrated to your new TPMS, IF you decide to add them to your winter wheels though... Here's where I read about that -
If you buy new sensors you have to take it to the Mitsubishi dealer for service, they will charge you $50-$100 to calibrate the vehicle to the new sensors.
Mitsubishi Outlander Tire Monitoring System (Edmunds.com)
LINK
> Read the Comments, very informative.

Here's some more interesting reads:
1. Mitsubishi TPMS OBDII Kit, LINK
2. More about TPMS, LINK

Last edited by mRVRsport; Sep 14, 2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My XB was the same way , had to drive for a mile or so to reset the TPMS, glad it works for the OS's .
Old Sep 14, 2014, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

I picked up 4 Hyundai tpms's at a local yard for $50, (nice score) When I had the tires put on my new rims, they just used a calibration tool to sync'm to my car. I think it was only $20 or so to do it.
They have some wireless type code sender/reader that can be updated, they put in your vehicles year, etc. info and "ta-da". just takes holding the tool by each sensor and it's done. Probably the easiest $20 they make for 5 min. worth of work. lol

I don't think they'd have a sensor near the spare now that I think about it. if you do have a flat, then change it out and put it in the same spot, the light would still stay on.

As far as winter wheels go, I'm not worried about the light being on, I just put some elec. tape over it during the time my Sonata has them on.
FYI, if you ever are getting new tires,,,,,,, NEVER get Hancook (Han-crap) Optimo's. What a difference in traction and handling my car has now that they are off.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

NO Tire Pressure Sensor in our spare tire, as noted in Owner's Manual. (page listed in Post#1, updated.)
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
The ETACS of our OS/RVR/ASX can store five TPMS IDs at any given time but the spare tire does not have a sensor. Even if you buy a separate set of wheels/tires for winter that are equipped with TPMS sensors you still have to go to the dealership to reprogram the ETACS with the new set of sensors (provided you do not wish to see the warning lights and reset the warning message each time you start your car; or when any other warning message comes up, like ice warning). My dealership forgot to inform me about this tiny detail when I purchased my new car with two sets of tires and TPMS sensors. As mentioned above clones of the existing sensors can be ordered from a private seller that allegedly eliminates the trip to the dealership and the cost of the reprogramming (~$100 taxes in depending on where yo live). Eventually the sensors get damaged (e.g. by tire mounting) and/or the batteries will die. My experience is the same as many others mentioned above: the response of our TPMS is very slow, to the point that it questions its usability. One has to drive several miles or several minutes before the system notices the change (either a low pressure or the lack of communication). For the above reasons I disabled my TPMS completely via ETACS programming (see the tread with similar title). I am from Canada, where TPMS is not required by law even for new sales. I believe the federal law in the States only mandates new car sales with TPMS and not the use of it.
The most viable option would be that Mitsubishi should consider increasing the memory slots to eight and improve the sensitivity as many of us in the north put dedicated winter tires with wheels (in many states or provinces it is even required). Unfortunately the available programs (ETACS Decoder or Diagbox with a <$100 investment for the interface) do not allow the sensor ID programming by ourselves. For this one should have a device (MUT-III with a four figure price tag) that is used by the dealers. Besides the TPMS disable/enable options the ETACS programming has many other benefits (e.g. automatic locking the doors at low speeds and unlocking them when moving the gear selector to park; preventing the average fuel consumption to reset after 4 hours of parking, etc).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

@AWCAWD,

Quite a bit of knowledge to digest in one sitting.
Thank you for all the information.
Old May 21, 2015, 01:26 PM

@AWCAWD Where did you go for disactivate TPMS ?

I'm from montreal too and I will buy an RVR GT 2012 soon and I dont have TPMS for the winter wheels and I want to prevent it.

Thanks a lot.
Old May 21, 2015, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by L0lboubou
@AWCAWD Where did you go for disactivate TPMS ?

I'm from montreal too and I will buy an RVR GT 2012 soon and I dont have TPMS for the winter wheels and I want to prevent it.

Thanks a lot.
I did it myself. I have bought the Actia interface, installed the program and learned to use it. Since I have it I helped about half a dozen Mitsubishi owners around Montreal. Send me a personal message and I will do it for you for free.
Old May 21, 2015, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Has anyone (preferably in Canada) tried to clone their TPMS to the Alligator sens.it sensors?
Old May 22, 2015, 03:49 PM

I work at a Costco Tire Center and we don't charge for a TPMS reset, we do that **** for free. We also rarely if ever charge for new sensor installation if you buy the tires and sensors from us (carry michelin and bridgestone tires only for people looking for winter tires). Costco also uses Nitrogen in our tire fill ups (which is supposed to be less susceptible to temperate changes and more fuel effecient) again, no extra charge. Only downside is you need to be a member to take advantage of the deals. Though we usually will do a Nitrogen Purge and TPMS reset regardless of being a member or not.
Old May 22, 2015, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SwankyArcticfox
I work at a Costco Tire Center and we don't charge for a TPMS reset, we do that **** for free. We also rarely if ever charge for new sensor installation if you buy the tires and sensors from us (carry michelin and bridgestone tires only for people looking for winter tires). Costco also uses Nitrogen in our tire fill ups (which is supposed to be less susceptible to temperate changes and more fuel effecient) again, no extra charge. Only downside is you need to be a member to take advantage of the deals. Though we usually will do a Nitrogen Purge and TPMS reset regardless of being a member or not.

Another benefit of nitrogen is that it is a dry gas and wont corrode the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire, resulting in leaks. Was filling my tires up every week in my old car until I had the wheel corrosion cleaned up and filled with nitrogen.

Quick Reply: 2013 Outlander Sport : TPMS (Low Tire Pressure)