Notices

Ralliart Turbo set up

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas,
What kind of performance are you seeing with what you've done already/how is your gas mileage holding out?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with the mods i have listed and no tune yet i feel the O.S. is a bit stronger in the lower and up RPM range still kind of sluggish in the mid though that will be corrected in tuning hopefully, and i am still getting 26-27 mpg daily driving in 4 wheel lock all city miles no freeway at all.

i will fill you in on the difference after i get the TB, injectors, cams and valves installed, with a solid tune.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
ok well i got some informative news today which is great to know but not great to hear.

I contacted RRM about a CVT trans cooler and they asked what i was doing.
Well after a long talk with the guys in the tech. department i have found out that even going with the ralliart turbo set up on the CVT (not the 5 speed manul trans) that i would have to get a wastegate that would not put out anything higher than 5lbs of boost and the Outlander would have to be detuned if it started to make over 200 hp or 200 ft. lbs..
The ecu has problems reguistering hp over that and has a fail safe that kicks in and engages the ABS brakes, thinking the car is spinning out, and trys to correct what is going on.
The 5 speeds have this problem as well but the trans is stronger and can hold the boost, the main problem is the internals of the CVT, he said the in side looks like a large rubber band with stapples all around it, and when heat gets to it it will liquify, that hey found out the hard way while doing the turbo kits for the Lancer.
He said if i can get a GOOD adjustable waste gate to bleed off the majority of the 15-16 lbs the stock ralliArt makes it would be fine as long as i have a SECONDARY transmition cooler, but the O.S. would still never put down more than 200hp, because of the fail safe no one can crack from the ECU.

The good news is that i have bought the injectors, cams and throttle body to go with intake and header i already have, and he said with that combo and a good tune i would be right at 200hp, anyway. There O.S. is turbo charged but it capped at 5 lbs. of boost and under 200 hp, because of the ECU problems. Add the CVT variable in to the mix and it is not looking so good for the turbo set up.

Well it was fun while it lasted but for now it looks like a full N/A build is in order. And yes i will be using a SECONDARY in line up front mounted 15 row transmition cooler!

Hope some one comes out with a better way to get around the limited boost and ECU problems in the future.

Sad day here in TEXAS....
Well, actually this is great news!
At least you didn't waste any of your money AND time trying it out yourself with a turbo and melting your CVT in the process.

The one strange this is Obviously the problem with CVT melt is solved by Nissan with their Muranos... Did they use a thicker CVT "belt"?? > So, if RRM can transplant Nissan's CVT (or just the belt from within) to the O.Sport's trans they can have that part of the equation fixed.

The issue with ECU... Well, there should be a way to Turn Off ABS > then the "fail safe" won't be a factor when hitting over 200HP, that's my guess.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Oct 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

how about a different ECU?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CanuckLancer
how about a different ECU?
You mean > Perhaps from an GSR...

But, why waste time (and the need for re-tunes) by piecing bits and pieces to our puny motor & CVT ???

I always like my original idea the best >
Why not just transplant the entire engine/trans/suspension from a EVO Directly into the O.Sport. Keeping the boost at full strength and not having to worry about "melting" transmissions.

and called it the OSX!

Not to throw off this thread... But, when I hit the Mega Lotto - This would be one project that'll be very high up on my list of To-Do's.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Oct 16, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

that would be awesome but super pricey...I was thinking a SST trans swap out of the evo you can get the for about 1k...or swap down to the 5 speed... the torque table issue will be solved by somebody I am sure but it might be a while esp. if RRM cant get it done... would have to take a decoder to get in there and check it out, I asked one on a different thred about it... and as far as the weak belt goes there is sup. a group out of Asian working on making a beefier racing belt to solve the CVT over heating and melting the belt issue...
for now I am just going to focus on the N/A build, that way if things to turn around I will be ready to add boost...
Have some other things up my sleeve as well... hard to turn down these really good deals, just glad the wife is not walking out the door on me lol...
I do feel like I might end up on an episode of INTERVENTION on of these days....1st guy to be on it for buying car parts...lol
Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

that would be awesome but super pricey...I was thinking a SST trans swap out of the evo you can get the for about 1k...or swap down to the 5 speed... the torque table issue will be solved by somebody I am sure but it might be a while esp. if RRM cant get it done... would have to take a decoder to get in there and check it out, I asked one on a different thred about it... and as far as the weak belt goes there is sup. a group out of Asian working on making a beefier racing belt to solve the CVT over heating and melting the belt issue...
for now I am just going to focus on the N/A build, that way if things to turn around I will be ready to add boost...
Have some other things up my sleeve as well... hard to turn down these really good deals, just glad the wife is not walking out the door on me lol...
I do feel like I might end up on an episode of INTERVENTION on of these days....1st guy to be on it for buying car parts...lol
A supportive wife - when it comes to these big $$$ hobbies - is truly a gift. There is nothing more a man can ask for.

Please, have you seen Jay Leno's garage!!?? That poor guy is the poster boy for needing some intervention...

NOT.

Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

ha yeah Leno does have the best garage I have seen... it truly is amazing!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:52 PM

Hey Texas. Great stuff you're doing. Would love to see pics of your mods too. My old ride is a Ralliart galant that shares the engine with the Eclipse gt. There's a guy who developed tuning software for these engines and I think the Eclipse gs 4 cylinder too. With the tune you're able to tweak a lot of things on the ecu. For example the speed governor is gone from my ecu and also the revs are raised. It could be possible that the horsepower limitation on the Outlander could be removed. Keep your hopes up because you got mine up. I didn't realized there was so much modification possibilities with the Outlander. Definitely sounds like fun.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks a lot, most of the pics i have posted in the thread i started O.S. Mods. It is also under the important threads thread as well.

i did some prep work for the hood scoop painting it, had some left over paint so i painted the engine cover as well.
And since i am not doing the turbo thing right now i picked up a set of EvoX brembo campers for a steal!
So I guess I will tackle that job as well, not sure if I will have to swap spindles yet or not but I will let tall know.
Attached Thumbnails Ralliart Turbo set up-20141019_145304.jpg   Ralliart Turbo set up-20141019_151249.jpg   Ralliart Turbo set up-screenshot_2014-10-19-11-42-56.jpg  
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:56 AM

nice, interested in the caliper mod!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you thought about a supercharger system instead of turbo? It's supposed to generate less heat and has fewer pipes because it doesn't have an intercooler. A local shop claims 60-70 WHP gain over stock, which is supposed to be the safe limit the stock 4B11 engine can handle.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by half3vil
nice, interested in the caliper mod!

I will see if they will bolt up here shortly...fingers X'ed but if not there maybe a way to fab a set of brackets for the front and rear to hold them in place using 1 of the stock mounting positions for the caliper and the second to hold the bracket in place to allow for the second hold to be bolted on to the bracket, same style the big brake co.'s use when they do their kits. We will see hope fully it is not too much of a headache.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pipefish
Have you thought about a supercharger system instead of turbo? It's supposed to generate less heat and has fewer pipes because it doesn't have an intercooler. A local shop claims 60-70 WHP gain over stock, which is supposed to be the safe limit the stock 4B11 engine can handle.

I pm'ed you about the CVT belt system you said awhile back that you guys where working on. I read too that you said they were able to Supercharge the system, but I did not see any details, do you have any idea to what Supercharger they are using and if so is there a kit readily available?

I have gone for a full EVOX swap N/A build, so hopefully I will be getting close to the 200 hp mark like the CVT lancer guys are, and the 60-70 extra hp would be awesome but with the EVOX mods would it be too much for the CVT trans? 260-270hp might be a lot, I have heard the CVT can handle the pressure just not the heat. I have purchased a 15 row trans cooler which I an going to be running in line with the oem trans cooler, but I will be placing it right up front on the radiator to get some well needed cooler air.
I read too about the different cooler running CVT trans fluids so I will be doing a swap at the time of the build as well.

If you have any info. on the supercharger system please let us know, and if you still have those contacts can you see if the had any success or failures with the other mods I am doing when added to the Supercharger? (i.e T.B., injectors, cams, valves, & egr delete)

RRM is saying that there is a torque table in the tuning map that is an issue as well. They say that it kicks in the fail safe ABS system if the trans see more than 200 lbs. of torque.

Did they have any issues with that?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I will see if they will bolt up here shortly...fingers X'ed but if not there maybe a way to fab a set of brackets for the front and rear to hold them in place using 1 of the stock mounting positions for the caliper and the second to hold the bracket in place to allow for the second hold to be bolted on to the bracket, same style the big brake co.'s use when they do their kits. We will see hope fully it is not too much of a headache.

Not sure if any of this is helpful. But, thought I add it >
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ake-guide.html

and,

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-take-2-a.html

OP,
Perhaps we should split this thread off to a dedicated one for your BBK mods?

Quick Reply: Ralliart Turbo set up