Notices

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tint

I like to tint my front side windows just enough to match the darkness of the rear windows. Does anyone know the % tint on factory rear windows?
Old May 8, 2015, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by powellwm10
I like to tint my front side windows just enough to match the darkness of the rear windows. Does anyone know the % tint on factory rear windows?
You may want to check whether it is legal in your state to tint or up to what % the front side windows. I think the back privacy glass is 25 or 35% and I doubt that anything below 50% would be legal anywhere. The argument is that the police officer should see through when they stop you. Not to mention that you have to be able to see out well. Optically, it is certainly an upgrade but it may be those "style over substance" cases.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:26 AM

I agree with above post. I think most factory is 25 or 35% and I'm pretty sure that in most states anything other than factory tint is illegal. As long as it's not like 15% or less the 5.0 probably won't bother you.
Old May 8, 2015, 01:16 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
AWCAWD is correct, you need to be careful with your state's laws.

Now, regarding the tint itself, on my 2011 OS, I had 20% 3M tint installed up front, and IMO it matches the rear almost perfectly.

Old May 8, 2015, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002

Now, regarding the tint itself, on my 2011 OS, I had 20% 3M tint installed up front, and IMO it matches the rear almost perfectly.
Yes, it looks perfect. How is the visibility at dusk/down and in general under low light conditions? Have you ever been cited because the excessive tinting or it is legal in your state? I might have been wrong claiming that 50% could be the upper limit in most states. I had tinted front side windows (purchased like that) when I lived in Arizona but I recall the tint was much moderate on the front than on the rear.
Old May 8, 2015, 06:30 PM

I lived in South Carolina for a while. I know it is 27% there. I just checked Pennsylvania law (where I live now) It says 70% on all windows. Factory rear tint is definitely darker than that. Im thinking I'm going to do 30-35%, I'll just play stupid if I get stopped.
Old May 8, 2015, 08:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Yes, it looks perfect. How is the visibility at dusk/down and in general under low light conditions? Have you ever been cited because the excessive tinting or it is legal in your state? I might have been wrong claiming that 50% could be the upper limit in most states. I had tinted front side windows (purchased like that) when I lived in Arizona but I recall the tint was much moderate on the front than on the rear.
For many, many years Illinois completely prohibited ANY tint on the front windows. A few years back they changed it to something kinda weird:

(1) On vehicles where none of the windows to the rear of the driver's seat are treated in a manner that allows less than 30% light transmittance, a nonreflective tinted film that allows at least 50% light transmittance, with a 5% variance observed by any law enforcement official metering the light transmittance, may be used on the vehicle windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver.

(2) On vehicles where none of the windows to the rear of the driver's seat are treated in a manner that allows less than 35% light transmittance, a nonreflective tinted film that allows at least 35% light transmittance, with a 5% variance observed by any law enforcement official metering the light transmittance, may be used on the vehicle windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver.

(3) (Blank).

(4) On vehicles where a nonreflective smoked or tinted glass that was originally installed by the manufacturer on the windows to the rear of the driver's seat, a nonreflective tint that allows at least 50% light transmittance, with a 5% variance observed by a law enforcement official metering the light transmittance, may be used on the vehicle windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver.
In other terms:
  1. If your rear windows are lighter than 30%, you can have at most 50% on the fronts
  2. But if your rear windows are lighter than 35%, you can have at most 35% on the fronts
  3. Still blank
  4. Vehicles with OEM rear tint darker than 30% are exempt from (1), and can still install up to 50% on the fronts

In even more simple words:
  • Darker than 30% on the rears = no fronts
  • 30% - 35% on the rears = at most 50% on the fronts
  • at most 35% on the rears = at most 35% on the fronts
  • OEM rear tint is basically treated as at most 30%

God I hate this state
Old May 8, 2015, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

In British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, it's illegal to have any tint at all on driver and passenger side windows. In Quebec it is 30% or whatever the officer feels like. And Ontario is the same: whatever the cop wants. I hate to give cops or insurance companies anything so I go factory only...
Old May 9, 2015, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
In British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, it's illegal to have any tint at all on driver and passenger side windows. In Quebec it is 30% or whatever the officer feels like. And Ontario is the same: whatever the cop wants. I hate to give cops or insurance companies anything so I go factory only...
As far as I know in Quebec it is also illegal to apply any tint above the factory on the driver and passenger side front windows. You are right about the officer specific rules, however. I have heard rumors that they tolerate 50% or lighter tints. Some folks use very dark tints here regardless.... go figure.
Old May 11, 2015, 04:48 AM

When i took mine to be tinted the guy told me it was factory 20% on the back windows. I had 20% added to the front as well to match. Looks great on the white. Ohio only allows 50% so im illegal but have never been stopped for it. I will say once it begins to get dark its hard to use the mirrors and at night I have to roll the windows down to use them. But I dont even use the mirror dimmer. Car stays much cooler as this car seems to attract heat with all the black interior. Im adding back up lights because even without tint it was difficult to see back there.
Old May 11, 2015, 05:38 AM

I lived in South Carolina for a while. I know it is 27% there. I just checked Pennsylvania law (where I live now) It says 70% on all windows. Factory rear tint is definitely darker than that. Im thinking I'm going to do 30-35%, I'll just play stupid if I get stopped.
In most areas if you get a tint ticket and you comply with the law before the court date / payment date they will drop the charges. So, tint however you want for now and if you find that you are getting harassed, make the changes before your court date and the ticket gets dropped. I do know in my area that if you get enough of the same equipment violation in a certain amount of time that it can turn into a higher charge.
Old May 16, 2015, 03:44 PM

I did 35% 3M tint on my front windows . Drivers door is open in this pic .
Old May 16, 2015, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good. You know though, adding tint other than OEM always worries me that insurance companies will use it against me.
Old May 18, 2015, 09:52 PM

1 thing to remember about window tint . The % is the amount of light it lets through .
So the darker the tint the lower the number . ( what was called limo tint is 5% )
The other thing to remember is most all side window glass has some amount of tint already in it .