Notices

help with pin striping?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with pin striping?

Hi All! New to the forum. Just purchased a 2013 Outlander Sport AWD about a month ago with 29,000 miles on it. It had been a lease turn in. She's black labrador pearl with the panaramic roof.... LOVE IT so far I'm wanting to tint the windows and add some pin stripping but am having trouble finding others that have been striped to get some ideas. Any suggestions? I might have the mud guards added too. My husband got rid of his dodge nitro for a 2011 Lancer a couple years back. The nitro was great.... had just shy of 200,000 miles on it and not a days trouble but the gas mileage was terrible . He's getting about 32 mpg on the highway with the Lancer. Anyway, been lurking on the forum and thought I'd ask for some suggestions on the pin stripping. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
i've removed it before, but never known anyone that wanted to add it. its kinda dated - you sure about this?

hell, i dont even like side moulding if i can help it.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 08:45 PM

Well, landshark, I'm really not sure about it. Just feel I want something to make it stand out a little.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cheltie68
Well, landshark, I'm really not sure about it. Just feel I want something to make it stand out a little.
same here - there's a TON of OS's around here. we live near the only Mitsu dealer south of the city. i used to like being able to spot my wife in her car if i was out.

a little pricier, but i've been considering the factory rear spoiler upgrade ... its a subtle change, but looks nice.

Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My dealership puts the pinstripe on all of the OS's on the lot except the 2.4 GT models.
Reminds me of an older cars.

I personally prefer the clean look without pin stripes and extra side molding.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree about the pin striping - too 70's for me. Although a BSD in body colour would be OK. BTW, that is a nice OS a couple posts up. I am liking that extra large spoiler....
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't mind pin striping, it just depends how tastefully it is done. Especially to add some contrast or a little extra something.

Perhaps just a thin pinstripe type accent line on bottom of the car? Not exactly thru the doors like traditional pin stripes.

I know that's super vague, but I'll post a picture a little later and edit the post
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I don't mind pin striping, it just depends how tastefully it is done. Especially to add some contrast or a little extra something.

Perhaps just a thin pinstripe type accent line on bottom of the car? Not exactly thru the doors like traditional pin stripes.

I know that's super vague, but I'll post a picture a little later and edit the post
I'd like to see that, Gatsby! I'm not crazy about traditional pin striping either but sure woud like something a little different to make my OS stand out! I thought maybe some kind of striping would make it "pop" and not be too costly. Tomorrow she's going in to have the windows tinted
Old Jul 22, 2015, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Here ya go! (Although truth be told I don' t think red goes well on the turquoise. YMMV)

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/s...-9-14_side.jpg

Another custom thought is that you could wrap the mirror in colour - maybe red on a silver or white car? - or carbon.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to see that, Gatsby! I'm not crazy about traditional pin striping either but sure woud like something a little different to make my OS stand out! I thought maybe some kind of striping would make it "pop" and not be too costly. Tomorrow she's going in to have the windows tinted
Another member here has done the lower accent pin stripes. Their OS is white and they did red striping. If you do it yourself, a roll of striping is $4-$10 from an auto store.

Here's the post with pictures that show the striping:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/outlander-sport/686585-what-did-you-do-your-outlander-sport-asx-rvr-today-34.html#post11402981

For an all black OS, you could really do any color you want honestly. Red would be a solid go to, or a turquoise or light blue (maybe something like the laguna blue?). All up to you really

Are you tinting the Windows darker than factory tint? I was wanting to do limo tint all around except only do 35% on the fronts because that's the darkest you can go on fronts in Missouri
Old Jul 22, 2015, 08:44 PM

I REALLY like the striping around the bottom....a lot! Thanks for posting the links. I just got factory tint added to the front drivers & passenger windows. My husband has his Lancer windows @ 35% and they are a little dark for my taste.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not an OS, but the Big O, I striped my wifes and did some color accents with the diamond triads.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Krakker
Not an OS, but the Big O, I striped my wifes and did some color accents with the diamond triads.
That green looks real nice, Krakker! Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That green looks real nice, Krakker! Thanks for posting.
NP,,,, there's actually a thin black stripe that I put right on the crown of the body line, just below the green. It gave it that extra, "extra", that say's not so dull and bla.

Blacking out the grill trim and putting the EVO look on the front makes a statement too. And go figure, now the new Big O's come with this look. Hmmmm, I think they owe me a design fee. lol.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Here ya go! (Although truth be told I don' t think red goes well on the turquoise. YMMV)

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/s...-9-14_side.jpg

Another custom thought is that you could wrap the mirror in colour - maybe red on a silver or white car? - or carbon.
I like that, but it would look better on a black or white car. As ugly as the Juke is, I love the red trim like this on the Nismo trims.

Quick Reply: help with pin striping?