Notices

Where's my TPMS??

Old Nov 21, 2015, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Where's my TPMS??

Taught my daughter to change to snow tires today. A useful skill even if she has road side assistance. Put the snow tires on - regular rubber valve stems and I expected to get a TPMS warning. But I did not! I know the TPMS works because about a week ago one of the tires was low and I got the inflation warning. Why doesn't the RVR tell me TPMS is missing, tires low etc?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
take it for a drive ... you'll get it.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't after 30 minutes/
Old Nov 21, 2015, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Never mind. It showed up. PITA warning light.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Taught my daughter to change to snow tires today. A useful skill even if she has road side assistance. Put the snow tires on - regular rubber valve stems and I expected to get a TPMS warning. But I did not! I know the TPMS works because about a week ago one of the tires was low and I got the inflation warning. Why doesn't the RVR tell me TPMS is missing, tires low etc?
That saying... "Careful what you wish for"
Old Nov 22, 2015, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Didn't after 30 minutes/

i don't remember exactly, but it takes some time at a certain speed to trigger them.

reading in another forum, many cars are able to "learn" new sensors, or you can program them in yourself in 30 seconds. not Mitsubishi (or my Infiniti, either).

black electrical tape over the light for me this winter.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

My Nissan had no issues with TPMS on snow tires despite the dealer claiming they would not work. I honestly cannot understand why Mits did this. I am surprised your Infiniti (what model/year?) has issues with a second set of TPMS.

Now I have to hunt for something (other than electrical tape - ugh) to cover the silly little icon. I mean I can live with the TPMS warning on start up but the yellow warning icon... It is enough to make a guy want to buy the ETACS programmer.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
My Nissan had no issues with TPMS on snow tires despite the dealer claiming they would not work. I honestly cannot understand why Mits did this. I am surprised your Infiniti (what model/year?) has issues with a second set of TPMS.

Now I have to hunt for something (other than electrical tape - ugh) to cover the silly little icon. I mean I can live with the TPMS warning on start up but the yellow warning icon... It is enough to make a guy want to buy the ETACS programmer.

Yoda say:

"See not, what bothers you."
Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

It will likely only bother me. Wife and daughter seem to be blind to warning lights.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

2013 G37 coupe - same as Mitsubishi, the dealer will gladly program your second set for a fee.

Even if they did it for free, I'm not driving to the dealer twice a year and sitting around the waiting room to get it done. It's almost a reflex in the Evo now - start car, wait a few seconds, hit info button to cancel warning. Plus I save $40-$80 on each sensor.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

My understanding (and I am sure someone will/should correct me if I am wrong) is that the Mits ETACs computer can only store one set of TPMS codes, unlike my Nissan PF (and the Infiniti equivalent.) So to use a second set of TPMS on your winter tires, you need to wipe out the codes in the ETACs and put the new codes into the 4 slots. NFW would I pay the dealer to do that - should be std. and free.

Could a person not use this? http://www.ateq-tpms.com/ateq-quickset-tpms/
Old Nov 22, 2015, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

My understanding (and I am sure someone will/should correct me if I am wrong) is that the Mits ETACs computer can only store one set of TPMS codes, unlike my Nissan PF (and the Infiniti equivalent.) So to use a second set of TPMS on your winter tires, you need to wipe out the codes in the ETACs and put the new codes into the 4 slots. NFW would I pay the dealer to do that - should be std. and free.

Could a person not use this? http://www.ateq-tpms.com/ateq-quickset-tpms/
$150 for that, plus $160-$320 for 4 TPMS sensors to clear a small light on the dash. Doesn't bother me. Try a small piece of electrical tape if it does.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

$50 bucks for NOS OEM sensors (eBay); I'd still consider doing this if the reprogramming was not such an issue (ie. mucking with ETACs firmware)
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

$50 bucks for NOS OEM sensors (eBay); I'd still consider doing this if the reprogramming was not such an issue (ie. mucking with ETACs firmware)
this looks interesting .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391238010168

would be nice to know the actual pressure of each tire at a glance.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Local jobber (Canadian Tire - think Pep Boys and Walmart combined) sells a similar system. $300 CAD> I could this useful for a tandem boat trailer for instance. Otherwise the OEM is nicer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where's my TPMS??