Notices

SOLVED! "Check Engine Light" is On

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
True dat! It's funny that this particular repair we are discussing could be effected over such a wide cost. From DIY at about $400-500 CAD up to well over $4000 CAD. When I go see the dealer who did the diagnostics I will pointedly ask if they will install the Mits part I source from Mits USA.
Old May 5, 2016, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
sounds kinda like when the ACD hydraulic pump went on my Evo ... part is $1500+ ... got it online for $1100, coated it with galvanized zinc oxide (fails due to corrosion), and had Mitsu dealer install.
2 months later, Mitsu decides to extend the warranty on it to 10yr/100k ... i did get a check from them after the fact for the full amount, parts and labor.

hope everything works out for you.
Old May 5, 2016, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Well, progress! I tried to use ecmtuning.com (no response to my emails FWIW) to refurb the ECU but on the advice of some mechanic friends and some R&D on my part (potential cut valve issue internal to the hydraulics which would have made repairing the electronics useless), I pretty much settled on getting a brand new OEM unit from a Mits USA dealer. Then, probably getting an independent mechanic to install with the dealer to do the sensor update (would have to tow it to the dealer from the shop but auto association covers that). Total cost would be about $1800 CAD with the part being $1400 or so. Yeah, that is way more than ecutesting rebuild, but it would all be above board. But I thought WTH... might as well see what I can get by talking to the local Mits dealer's service manager. Holy cw! The guy was awesome!! He agreed that Mits Canada pricing was insane and said he'd install the part from one of my sources. So I get a full dealer install of a Mits part, Mits and dealer warranty and one stop shopping. For way less than half the original quote.

And for the record, I am not done with Mits Canada! I am making a full formal request for them to cover the cost. I figured if Mits was making something, somewhere on the deal they might stomach it easier. This nowhere near finished... <insert evil laughter here>
Old May 6, 2016, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
ore than ecutesting rebuild, but it would all be above board. But I thought WTH... might as well see what I can get by talking to the local Mits dealer's service manager. Holy cw! The guy was awesome!! He agreed that Mits Canada pricing was insane and said he'd install the part from one of my sources. So I get a full dealer install of a Mits part, Mits and dealer warranty and one stop shopping. For way less than half the original quote.

And for the record, I am not done with Mits Canada! I am making a full formal request for them to cover the cost. I figured if Mits was making something, somewhere on the deal they might stomach it easier. This nowhere near finished... <insert evil laughter here>
great!

if you have a decent dealer, they can be reasonable. service manager at my local straight out told me to get aftermarket rotors, as the MR 2-piece front brake rotors are $800. EACH.

hope you get your check, too! it took forever, though, and just as i was about to call about the status, it showed up in the mailbox.
Old May 6, 2016, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Well, progress! ...

It's all about persistence.

Good luck.
Old May 6, 2016, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
sounds kinda like when the ACD hydraulic pump went on my Evo ... part is $1500+ ... got it online for $1100, coated it with galvanized zinc oxide (fails due to corrosion), and had Mitsu dealer install.
2 months later, Mitsu decides to extend the warranty on it to 10yr/100k ... i did get a check from them after the fact for the full amount, parts and labor.

hope everything works out for you.
It is interesting. According to this thread below the ABS and ACD failures might be related (of course ACD is irrelevant for OS/RVR) or I should say the symptoms are quite similar.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-death-me.html
It is also interesting that the OP in the above thread claims the following: "When I got the car the ABS light was on and the person said "Oh, its just an unplugged sensor. I just had the brakes done and they must have unplugged something."
I am afraid that some unprofessional maintenance is a problem here and there too.
Old May 6, 2016, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

In my case the brakes were not just done. I've confirmed ALL maintenance was done at one of two Mits dealers - not to say that is a guarantee of good workmanship, but at least Mits Canada can't blame shade tree mechanics or some local shop.

As for buying a car where the sensors are indicating trouble, well like Mom used to say "A fool and his money are soon parted".

BTW, I am now at seven for the count of service managers who say they have never seen an OS/RVR ABS unit failure. But since these things are in stock in LA (and maybe Toronto?) they must fail occasionally on one of the other models in which they are used. It is/has been an interesting adventure to say the least! But she's gonna be fixed real soon (fingers crossed).
Old May 6, 2016, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
It is interesting. According to this thread below the ABS and ACD failures might be related (of course ACD is irrelevant for OS/RVR) or I should say the symptoms are quite similar.
i don't know where the ABS hydraulic pump is, but the ACD pump is located right behind the rear wheel. it gets sprayed with water and road salt, corrodes, and then the seals fail.

some folks relocate them to the trunk with an expensive kit. i chose to coat it with the galvanized zinc spray, and then made my own pump cover out of a rubber floormat. they sell expensive JDM pump covers, but they wouldn't protect it nearly as well as my homemade one will.
Old May 6, 2016, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

The ABS unit is on the firewall, right hand side. Not really subject to water/salt IME.
Old May 6, 2016, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

The ABS unit is on the firewall, right hand side. Not really subject to water/salt IME.
yeah, i figured in the engine bay. sometimes things just fail - the trick is to get them to fail under warranty!

good luck, hope Mitsubishi comes through for you, seeing as how close you were to being under warranty ....
Old May 6, 2016, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
In my case the brakes were not just done. I've confirmed ALL maintenance was done at one of two Mits dealers - not to say that is a guarantee of good workmanship, but at least Mits Canada can't blame shade tree mechanics or some local shop....
Not at all. I fired one Mitsubishi dealership already due to unprofessional fix of my broken side window (some brave kids thrown a 6 lb rock though my parking car's window).
Old May 7, 2016, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

It's like the old joke - "What do you call a medical student who finished last in their class?.... Doctor". I once had the brakes done and the guy forgot to attach the rotor correctly. Went for lunch and the lackey he assigned did not complete the job. Was a bit scary...
Old May 20, 2016, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

"All Quiet on the Western Front" Update. So now I don't know whether to be scared/happy/POed or something else: NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT appears on start up nor do the ABS/ASC check warnings show up. I am still waiting for the dealer-recommended part to arrive but now I am thinking... WTH??? Car runs perfectly.
Old May 20, 2016, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"All Quiet on the Western Front" Update. So now I don't know whether to be scared/happy/POed or something else: NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT appears on start up nor do the ABS/ASC check warnings show up. I am still waiting for the dealer-recommended part to arrive but now I am thinking... WTH??? Car runs perfectly.
Have you checked the wiring harness to the ABS ecu, perhaps some connection is loose or corroded. Bad connection equals bad data and the systems will go to fault mode.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

That was one of the first things I did. I paid for diagnostics/read the diagnostic codes etc. What is funny is that two days ago all lit up; yesterday, only the CL light on and today - nada. THere _were_ stored codes there so now I dunno? Intermittent stuff makes me crazy. I guess I will test the ABS on some wet or gravel tomorrow to see if it comes on. If it does, then the dealers got some 'splainin to do!!

Quick Reply: SOLVED! "Check Engine Light" is On