Notices

Transmission failure..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
yeah I seen it in the manual I have now for the 15 lol , for all the 11-14 models it never states anything about the auto trans fluid, I guess mitsu FINALLY got smart in 15, I have the manual for every year lol, they probably just started it in the 14 than. but it states to change every 30k miles which for you in Canada it says 48km but yeah every 30k. I would get on changing that ASAP than. but I was still right lol :-)
Old Sep 19, 2016, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rotterdam
According to the service manual in the link it says 48K (download full schedule)

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owner...nance-schedule

I think that's why its so confusing. They never told me it needed to be replaced when I took it in.
The confusion could be due to looking at the wrong maintenance schedule. Depending on your location and driving habit you may opt or directed (by the dealership) to go by the "regular" or "severe" maintenance schedule. According to the severe plan the automatic transaxle fluid should be replaced at 30,000 miles. The 48,000 miles only applicable if you take the regular plan. Be careful to obtain the maintenance plan from your dealer and use it as a proof for warranty purposes. If one does not follow the plan he/she should the warranty may be compromised.
If you use the paddle shifters regularly I would suggest that you should go by the severe plan (for the transaxle oil change) if you want long worry free operation.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nast_Nas
yeah I seen it in the manual I have now for the 15 lol , for all the 11-14 models it never states anything about the auto trans fluid, I guess mitsu FINALLY got smart in 15, I have the manual for every year lol, they probably just started it in the 14 than. but it states to change every 30k miles which for you in Canada it says 48km but yeah every 30k. I would get on changing that ASAP than. but I was still right lol :-)

I'll be phoning them soon to schedule a service and to explain the issues that I've been having.

I also just pulled my maintenance book from the vehicle and under the Severe Plan it states to change this at 48k km as well.

Anyway, they didn't say anything about it last time so I'll just play dumb if they ask.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

no problem!! a fluid change will def help
Old Oct 12, 2016, 09:13 AM

Well update time...

I did the tranny flush, cost over $200 with tax, and the RVR runs much better so far.

I've done about half a tank of driving and I'm not experiencing any of the previous symptoms so far which is good.

It also seems that my mileage has increased but I will need to top her up first to see how many extra km I get.

Thanks again for the help.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

no problem!!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would it be an issue of Transmission if and when from a stop: accelerating (not WOT) but just regular daily driving that it goes through 1st gear quick and then Rpms go low to 2k and turning on ECO mode at the same time? kind of like a hesitation and I don't get a good pull unless I Am TRYING to reach for 3-5k rpms?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by pinoynoskillz
Would it be an issue of Transmission if and when from a stop: accelerating (not WOT) but just regular daily driving that it goes through 1st gear quick and then Rpms go low to 2k and turning on ECO mode at the same time? kind of like a hesitation and I don't get a good pull unless I Am TRYING to reach for 3-5k rpms?
are you talking about - when you're accelerating from a stop, it goes through "first gear" and then the rpms drop a LOT - and you actually have to press your foot onto the gas even more to continue getting the same power?

like it feels like your powerband is dropping off completely after that first shift?

let me know, because we just picked up our 2012 OS SE AWD CVT and thats what i'm feeling
Old Nov 21, 2016, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtarman77787
are you talking about - when you're accelerating from a stop, it goes through "first gear" and then the rpms drop a LOT - and you actually have to press your foot onto the gas even more to continue getting the same power?

like it feels like your powerband is dropping off completely after that first shift?

let me know, because we just picked up our 2012 OS SE AWD CVT and thats what i'm feeling
yeah that's what I feel.. really quiet annoying and happens very often, and I started thinking, if it was missing a gear or something?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by pinoynoskillz
yeah that's what I feel.. really quiet annoying and happens very often, and I started thinking, if it was missing a gear or something?
Yes, what you observed is normal. Attached, please find the combined engine speed vs. vehicle speed graphs in "D" mode (darker grey) and in "manual" mode (lighter grey). You would like to see a linear relationship between these two parameters. You only get this (more or less) in the manual mode. In the D mode, however, for example at 50 % throttle position the slope of the curve changes drastically at ~20 km/h (12 mi/h) and even at ~40 km/h (25 mi/h) only to stay linear up to 160 km/h (100 mi/h).
This figure also explains why:
1. the rpm rises if you switch from D to manual mode nearly at any speeds,
2. some higher pseudo gears are not accessible below certain speeds, and
3. the gears are really virtual (only gear 3 and 4 have linear characteristics the others are tweaked at certain points.

NB: This figure was generated from the repair manual of the 2011 model year (4B11). The CVT has been programmed couple of times (nearly with every model year) since.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission failure..-cvt_d_s.jpg  
Old Dec 19, 2016, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Does this look correct for the external filter? Just remove the 4 bolts, replace the filter and o-ring then bolt back up?
Attached Thumbnails Transmission failure..-screen-shot-2016-12-19-7.00.21-pm.png  
Old Dec 19, 2016, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikemike396
Does this look correct for the external filter? Just remove the 4 bolts, replace the filter and o-ring then bolt back up?
yes correct
Attached Thumbnails Transmission failure..-13710687_10157290900580145_1527521141359069337_o.jpg