Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

Good clutch replacement shop in the PDX area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2004, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good clutch replacement shop in the PDX area

Just wondering if anyone knows a good clutch replacement shop in the PDX area. I have an appointment at Clutch Doctors on TV Hwy by Cedar Hills Blvd in Beaverton. The guy that works there said he had done Evos before, and that it would be $330 for the job (not including clutch of course). Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations before I take my car there.

Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should check in Chris P. He is doing his right now and was researching shops and various clutches as far as I know.

Jason
Old Oct 17, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I know Torque Freaks is an awesome shop for anything. Don't know how much evo stuff they do, but one of my buddies has them do work (that he doesn't want to do, like clutches) for his MR2.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Are you getting a stock clutch or upgrading? Cuz our sponsor can get you Exedy clutches at a good price.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Are you getting a stock clutch or upgrading? Cuz our sponsor can get you Exedy clutches at a good price.
I already ordered an ACT clutch kit from Tony at Speed Concept for $500. That's for the pressure plate (HD), disk (Organic), throw-out bearing, and install tool. I won't ever buy Exedy clutches again. I bought their 3 puck race disk for my Eclipse, and it wore out in one month. I complained to Exedy and the guy I delt with was a total ***** loser and treated me badly, so Exedy will never see another dime from me.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Damn, sorry to hear about your beef with Exedy!
Old Oct 18, 2004, 03:52 PM

I spoke with Chris, and he is going to use the clutch doctor shop on TV highway that you are referring to. I think he also said he is getting the ACT replacement like you did. He did not want to have any of the street drivability issues that come along with the twin discs. I guess the ACT grabs better than stock and will last much longer, but does not stress the tranny and engine like the heavy duty ones do. I will be interested to see what you guys think once the installs are done.

Jason
Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Damn, sorry to hear about your beef with Exedy!
It's ok, live and learn I guess. I don't hate Exedy or anything, but their rep did everything in his power belittle, blame, and insult me, so I just can't bring myself to spend any money on them unless I really have no choice.

ACT however is a great choice in my experience, and the guys from ACT are on here all the time talking with the customers and refining their product. That's what I like to support. Also, some of the fastest 1G DSMs ran the ACT 2600 or 2900 last season (dunno what they are running now) but they seemed to hold up fine. Definitely held up well with my 2G DSM (FWD GST so not as hard on the clutch, but still I put well over 200 passes on it and it never acted strange or chattered).
Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jason8
I spoke with Chris, and he is going to use the clutch doctor shop on TV highway that you are referring to. I think he also said he is getting the ACT replacement like you did. He did not want to have any of the street drivability issues that come along with the twin discs. I guess the ACT grabs better than stock and will last much longer, but does not stress the tranny and engine like the heavy duty ones do. I will be interested to see what you guys think once the installs are done.

Jason
He must have called around and talked to people the same way I did. They seem to have the best deal in town ($330 was what the guy quoted me) and he assured me they had done more than one EVO there. We'll see. I was very satisfied with their work on my DSM though, they even put the exact proper step height on the flywheel (DSMs are picky about that).
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the install job took about 3.5 hours total. A truly amazing feat. I have a little vibration in my clutch pedal, and my clutch chatters a bit, but it's hard to say what (if anything) is at fault for those things. I guess time will tell.

If there is a problem, the guys at Clutch Doctors seem to stand by their work, and actually know/care about cars. Overall I would recommend these guys. I did blow an upper intercooler hose clamp off after the work was done, but any shop including the dealer could have made that mistake. Hell, beaverton mitsubishi accidentally installed my front cam bolt in the wrong hole when they replaced my upper pillow ball mount. Needless to say this confused the guys at the alignment shop. Compared to that, a loose clamp is nothing.

Basically, you get at least as good if not better service than from the dealer, and at a fraction of the cost. I don't see a down side to this place.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

does anyone have a link to look at, and get the price of the clutch that you just put on machron? where did you order it from. just curious as i know this will be needed sooner than latter. you are the third person i have met running that clutch assembly from ACT. and all seem to be very happy with it. the dealer warned me not to replacw with something beefy enough to give the tranny problems. this one seems to be working for everyone. just curious. thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I got the clutch kit from Tony at Speed Concept in Aloha. Here is their info:
Speed Concept
20745 SW Tualatin Vly Hwy
Aloha, OR 97006 - 1705
(503) 356-2222
$500 out the door for the kit (pressure plate, disk, TOB, and alignment tool) and it took about 10 days to get it from the time they ordered it. Chris got a killer deal on his clutch. Some internet buy that appeared to be selling the kits for less than cost? Suggested retail price from ACT's website is $691.00, and most internet stores are selling it for more than $500 + shipping, so I feel I got a reasonable deal.

More information on the clutch kits can be found on ACT's website:
Advanced Clutch Technology
Old Mar 24, 2015, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this thread still alive?

Hi, sorry to resurrect this 11 year old thread, but has anyone had recent experience with Clutch Doctors? Are they still good, or have they gone downhill? And I would also like to know how they dealt with the ACD line, which I understand needs to be opened up in order to get to a certain bolt to remove the transmission. After opening it, the ACD will need to be bled, and that takes a $3,000 tool from Mitsubishi which can run the ACD pump. On the chance that Clutch Dr is no longer good, can anyone recommend a good local clutch shop?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Go to English Racing. Going to clutch doctors is like going to brake team for brakes. Ya they might get the job done but will it be done right.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by machron1
I won't ever buy Exedy clutches again. I bought their 3 puck race disk for my Eclipse, and it wore out in one month.
Sounds like improper clutch adjustment
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...kills-synchros

+1 for going go to English Racing for a proper clutch job.

Quick Reply: Good clutch replacement shop in the PDX area