Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

***Official WA Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More info about tonight's get together:

8:00PM at Dick's Drive-In
21910 Highway 99, Edmonds, Washington 98026

*SEATTLE AND SOUTH END PEOPLE WE WILL BE MEETING AT ALKI BOAT LAUNCH AT 7PM AND ROLLING OUT AT 7:30PM TO HEAD UP TO DICKS*

Alki Boat Launch at Don Armeni Park
1222 Harbor Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98116
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After Work Meet

Hey!

Anyone interested in meeting after work this week and grabbing a beer?
MAX
Old Sep 17, 2014, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

car down, car down! I'll be rolling the POS truck for a while...

*edit - on another note, I got my first evar no-front plate ticket. 8 years and countless pull-overs, and I get pulled over specifically for this by a dick bike cop in Redmond right outside my building! I say dick because he was profiling me big time, and was pissed that he had nothing else to give me but the front-plate. He all but threw the ticket at me and walked off to the point where I had to call him back regarding what I was to do next, and if it was something I could fix and bring proof to court. He said "no, this is not a fix-it ticket, it is a moving violation, and had major 'tude while I was talking with him.

I've never even had to think about how to handle this, but I assume I should plead guilty/not guilty and go to court (two options, other than just sending them money). Is there a decent bracket that people use or should I just temp "affix" that biatch to the bumper? I really don't want to be cutting holes, but have literally never looked how the front plate goes on. I sold my bracket just as soon as I could find a buyer.

Last edited by yahu; Sep 17, 2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
get a lawyer and have them handle it. I doubt it would stick as a moving violation, but who knows

bracket mounts via 2/3 holes that get drilled into the bumper
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

^that's what I though... oh hail no I'm not drilling! I'm debating the $200 - $300 for the lawyer vs the "home fix" and going to court myself. I'm sure I could get it reduced in price ($124 right now, and my record is clean as a whistle), and more importantly, reduced from a moving violation.

I do have a go-to lawyer though. My record would be in the double digits if it weren't for him. I seriously haven't been pulled over in fo-evah though. I drive like a damn grandma these days.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Yahu,

I did a quick internet search and came up with what this lawyer said about your ticket being a
moving violation. According to him it's not. Which goes along with your assumption the officer was, shall we say being somewhat less than professional.

MAX

"Licensed in WA
Jon Michael Zimmerman
Jon Zimmerman
Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Seattle, WA
Contributor Level 14

Answered 3 years ago. In Washington the DOL no longer issues 'points' in the State of Washington; rather, we distinguish between moving and non-moving violations and look at the quantity of offenses over periods of 12, 24, and 60 months in order to determine whether to suspend or revoke a driver's license.

No front plate is a non-moving offense, much like a parking ticket. While the offense might go on your full abstract of driving record, the offense should not affect your insurance and your driving privilege. "
Old Oct 7, 2014, 04:37 AM
Account Disabled

Ouch
Old Oct 7, 2014, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If its non moving it won't count. Got one a few years ago at the airport while waiting for my ex
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I'm shocked you're still at the Soft!

You can "fight" this on your own. Just show up to the traffic court and tell the judge that you have a clean record (he will already have looked up your record) and that it seems unreasonable to be pulled over for such a minor offense.

Don't deny that you didn't have a front plate if the judge asks. Just that it is fairly draconian to be pulled over for no front plate when there are people with dogs on their laps, using their cell phone and a host of other MATERIAL offenses to have this be such a big deal.

It also helps that you're a bit older and don't look like a street racer. (note: Don't dress like a street racer)

In my experience fighting tickets on my own and observing other defenses this strategy should work well to either reduce the ticket by 50% or have it thrown out for wasting the court's time.

Originally Posted by yahu

*edit - on another note, I got my first evar no-front plate ticket. 8 years and countless pull-overs, and I get pulled over specifically for this by a dick bike cop in Redmond right outside my building! I say dick because he was profiling me big time, and was pissed that he had nothing else to give me but the front-plate. He all but threw the ticket at me and walked off to the point where I had to call him back regarding what I was to do next, and if it was something I could fix and bring proof to court. He said "no, this is not a fix-it ticket, it is a moving violation, and had major 'tude while I was talking with him.

I've never even had to think about how to handle this, but I assume I should plead guilty/not guilty and go to court (two options, other than just sending them money). Is there a decent bracket that people use or should I just temp "affix" that biatch to the bumper? I really don't want to be cutting holes, but have literally never looked how the front plate goes on. I sold my bracket just as soon as I could find a buyer.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was pulled over for this in April, I live on the east-side of the mountains btw...The cop just wanted to ask if I had another plate which I did, just didn't want to ruin my front by drilling holes etc. I told him I was only issued one by the bank who financed the car etc..He said that's exactly what the law states if you were only given one that is sufficient

(5)(a) Display. License plates must be:

(i) Attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle if two license plates have been issued;

just say you were issued one plate...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by StreetLethal
I was pulled over for this in April, I live on the east-side of the mountains btw...The cop just wanted to ask if I had another plate which I did, just didn't want to ruin my front by drilling holes etc. I told him I was only issued one by the bank who financed the car etc..He said that's exactly what the law states if you were only given one that is sufficient

(5)(a) Display. License plates must be:

(i) Attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle if two license plates have been issued;

just say you were issued one plate...
The down-side of this is that if the judge really wants, he will force you to do the discovery at the DOL and report back with how many plates were issued (most likely 2).

The likelihood of a judge ordering this is low. But it exists (i've seen judges order discovery and assign another court date a few months later). And if it happens, you will not be getting out of this ticket and the judge just may alter the fine (they can also alter your fine up or down depending on their mood/whim).
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The explicit flaw lies here:

(4)(a) Furnished. The director shall furnish to all persons making satisfactory application for a vehicle registration:

(i) Two identical license plates each containing the license plate number; or

(ii) One license plate if the vehicle is a trailer, semitrailer, camper, moped, collector vehicle, horseless carriage, or motorcycle.
The Evo qualifies for none of (ii)so all it means is that the dealer goofed up. This has been talked about on this forum for 11 years now. There is no real excuse for not having the plate in WA and you only will skate by if you run into cops/judges that are either lenient or don't know the law. So run the plate or eat the tickets your choice.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

well I'm going to fight it. Car is down for a while so I won't be getting another ticket anytime soon. :\
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
well I'm going to fight it. Car is down for a while so I won't be getting another ticket anytime soon. :\
Whats wrong with it this time?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nemsin
Whats wrong with it this time?
It's a Mitsubishi.

Quick Reply: ***Official WA Chat Thread***