Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

engine whining noise help

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine whining noise help

A few months ago I started hearing some whining noise (like a gear whine) from the engine bay. The whining noise can be heard even when car is in neutral so I ruled it out as a drivetrain problem. It was about 60k miles so here were the things that I did and check.

1. Replaced Serpentine Belt, noise still exist

2. Have a shop replaced the Timing Belt, Tensioner, water pump and Balance Belt, a different tone of whining now comes from the engine bay

3. The shop readjusted the timing belt tension, the noise went away for a day or 2 and came back, sometimes less noticeable, sometimes not

4. The shop rechecked the timing belt tension again. They said the belt tension is correct. The whining noise is now different again and is very consistent. but now on top of the whining there’s some howling noise too.

5. I took off the Serpentine Belt and run the engine to make sure the noise is not coming from the Power Steering Pump, as the noise is still noticeable w/o the Serpentine Belt. I used a statoscope and I think the noise still comes from within the timing belt cover area. (but I could still be wrong)

Here is what it sounds like without the Serpentine Belt. The "Eeeee" whining noise is more noticeable inside the cabin.

6. I also changed the Power Steering fluid as well, and the noise still exist

Any advice? I am hesitant to bring it back to the same shop, but also not dont want to spend much money to another shop unless they can really help me pinpoint the problem. I am guessing it could be a faulty belt tensioner?

Thanks.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
is it constant or like a *schlick* *schlick* *schlick* noise
Old May 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Did you replace the two timing belt pulleys (both should be changed at 60k)?
Old May 17, 2012, 02:05 PM

From the cabin, the noise is pretty constant from 1k to 3.5krpm.

According to the shop, both belts are replaced. The engine doesn't vibrate much at 4k rpm, so I assume that oil pump sprocket was placed correctly...
Old May 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it changed tone when they re-tensioned it, I would bet on the tensioner being bad or not really replaced.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

whining noise without serpentine belt

Forgot the post the video, for what its worth...
Old May 18, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Mine does the same thing, just not as loud. Has done it forever. Just make sure all tbelt idlers/tensioners were replaced at the same time. You should be ok.
Old May 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

That sounds completely normal to me. Mine did that since the day I bought it with 3 miles on it.
Old May 21, 2012, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the confirmation guys. If the noise from the engine bay is okay, then I will need to see why the whining has creeped up to inside the cabin. Once I had an engine damper and i would hear similar whining noise. The damper has long been removed in exchanged for a engine mount.

Strangely the whining noise inside the car is a lot more subdued when its raining outside. Probably the part trasnmitting the noise is dampen and the water absorbed some of the noise?
Old May 21, 2012, 04:19 PM

I had that same whine sound coming from my freshly built motor on my 99 gsx days later it lost oil pressure took my turbo out and my rod and main bearings so i would check your oil pump before its to late. Do you have a BSE kit installed? Heres the vid of what my whine sounded like
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:46 PM

I have the same noise, should i care about it? Some say it does that noise since they have the car and some say it does not do that
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:02 PM

Uppp?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by evo_k
Thanks for the confirmation guys. If the noise from the engine bay is okay, then I will need to see why the whining has creeped up to inside the cabin. Once I had an engine damper and i would hear similar whining noise. The damper has long been removed in exchanged for a engine mount.

Strangely the whining noise inside the car is a lot more subdued when its raining outside. Probably the part trasnmitting the noise is dampen and the water absorbed some of the noise?
Up
Old Feb 13, 2014, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Bringing back an old thread... My car has developed this noise after a timing belt/serpentine belt install. Now i'm somewhat worried its an oil pump too, i don't want to blow the motor. Anyone have experience with this? Car drives fine, noticed some hesitation when spooling the turbo, you can hear it spooling, but the torque isn't felt until after a few seconds... I really hope it isn't the oil pump.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you think this is caused my aftermarket belts instead of OEM?

Quick Reply: engine whining noise help