evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Miscellaneous > Paint and Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Paint and Detailing Discuss topics related to car paint (interior or exterior) and detailing (techniques, products, etc.).

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Sep 1, 2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: '08 Evo MR (gg)

Xzilon paint sealant - Need advice!

So I just picked up my new '08 Evo MR yesterday and I want to make sure the paint's protetected before I start piling on the miles.

At the dealership, they tried to sell me a Xzilon paint sealant. I'd never heard of it, so I opted not to buy it at the time, but I'm trying to do some research on it now. I'm wondering if anyone here may have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'll try to get some pics posted later today. This car is amazing!!

Old Sep 1, 2008, 01:57 PM   #2
FJF
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (18)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: IX SE

Read this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...66-xzilon.html

Products like this are the joke of the detailing world. You did the right thing by not buying. If you'd like your car to have a show-quality finish, stick around, read some threads, ask questions and you'll be able to have a car that looks like few others on the road.

Last edited by FJF; Sep 1, 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Old Sep 1, 2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: '08 Evo MR (gg)

Thanks for the reality check!

All I've done so far is hand-wash the car with some Mothers car wash. It "looks" good right now (obviously - it's got less than 80 miles on it :P), but I know I'm going to spend some serious time to really detail it. And I know that I should do that right now, before I put any more miles on it, but I want to get out to do at least some light driving today to get a better feel for the car.

I'll be back later to start reading some threads + making decisions about which products to start with. The last car I was really hardcore about detailing was my '00 Corvette, which I used Zaino products exclusively on. I've been out of it for a long time, though - need ask around and see what the "pros" are recommending these days.

FWIW, I'm not one of those dudes who does nothing but sit around detailing a car that rarely leaves the garage. I buy these cars to drive them. I do, however, try my best to care for the finish as meticulously as I do the mechanical components.

Thanks again for your advice, FJF - Seriously much appreciated.

Okay - enough of this sitting at the PC - Time go driving (and maybe finding a cool spot to shoot some pics if I can pry myself out of that Recaro for a few minutes).

Old Sep 1, 2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (6)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2005 WRX (RIP 2003 AS VIII)

There is something that Optimum just came out with thats supposed to last and protect for years and actually work. Keep an eye out for that.
Injen downpipe, gutted cat, HKS Hi-Power, Apex'i intake, Hallman Pro RX MBC, Evo 9 and Forge DV's, FP Green, ETS 3.5 FMIC and piping, Megan coated mani, Megan O2 housing,injectors, Walbro 255, HKS 272's, ARP headstuds, and Cosworth headgasket, JDM MR tails, Custom blacked out headlights
Turning and stopping:
Tein Flex/w EDFC, Girodisc Magic pads, Brembo slotted rotors, Cusco carbon rear strut bar

Tuned by Mayhem Tuning, Reno, NV!

Old Sep 1, 2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: ST04Z

I read about that opt sealant in a autopia thread (how to make $300/h or something like that) but couldn't find any info about it

Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:01 AM   #6
FJF
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

I'd like more info on the Optimum product, as well. If I can get ~8 month out of it, I'll be happy. Two of my cars live outside. I've yet to find something that'll last from October to May on a car kept outdoors and driven during a NY winter.

Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

did your zaino do the trick for 8 months at a time on your last car? *shrug* if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Of course there's the other consideration that engineers love, if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet! Hehe

verkion

Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: ST04Z

zaino for 8 month would be pushing it IMO, usually I belive sealant=+/- 6 months especially if you wash your car often.

Nobody have any info on that new optimum prod???

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:25 AM   #9
FJF
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Yea, Zaino only lasts that long on a car that's garaged all day with occasional (2-3 weeks) ONR washes, followed by few shots of Z-8 as a booster. On a DD stored outdoors and driven in the winter, ZAIO/Z2p x 4 lasts 3 months tops. Collinite 476s is more durable. Ask me how I know.

Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:10 PM   #10
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (26)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2006 EB Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJF View Post
Read this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...66-xzilon.html

Products like this are the joke of the detailing world. You did the right thing by not buying. If you'd like your car to have a show-quality finish, stick around, read some threads, ask questions and you'll be able to have a car that looks like few others on the road.
joke of the detailing world? have you PERSONALLY applied this to your car? you honestly have no idea what you're talking about...

xzilon NEVER promised a "show-quality" finish. xzilon is superior PROTECTION...it is not for looks. i drive up and down i-95 all the time here in florida and i get love bugs all over the front of my car. when i used normal (good quality) wax, i had to spray a degreaser, scrub with a coral sponge, and pressure wash to get them off. i have xzilon on my car, so what do i do about bugs now? i take the pressure washer and spray them off...i don't even have to scrub or touch any soap/chemical. bird droppings? just spray them off, no damage done...

that's the problem with most people and their "takes" on this products. it is NOT meant to give a showroom shine or that "deep gloss" look. it is a sealant that protects

http://www.xzilon.com/index2.php?pag...int+Protectant

what does it say? PROTECTANT. does it say anything about giving it deep glossy looks? no because it is designed to protect. and does it protect? yes...better than wax? at least 10x better...at LEAST.

this is after i xzilon'd my car...

Click the image to open in full size.

now, if you ask me, that looks great even without wax. did i wax it? no i stripped all the wax off and then xzilon'd it.

water beads off the car now way better than it did with wax and if you don't believe me about the bugs, i'll make a video. i'm a professional detailer and even i believed this stuff was bs before i tried it...now i'm a believer

i applied it to my rims and brake calipers too...brake dust? rinse it off and call it a day...

people need to stop bashing products before they try them because, personally, i would rather have a well protected paint job and have it look as good as that picture up there than to have my car look a tad bit glossier with the paint less protected

Old Oct 8, 2008, 04:35 AM   #11
FJF
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd is Pink View Post
joke of the detailing world? have you PERSONALLY applied this to your car? you honestly have no idea what you're talking about...
If you read what you quoted, I spoke of the product in the context of others of its kind, and linked a thread with those who have used it.

Quote:
xzilon NEVER promised a "show-quality" finish. xzilon is superior PROTECTION...it is not for looks. i drive up and down i-95 all the time here in florida and i get love bugs all over the front of my car. when i used normal (good quality) wax, i had to spray a degreaser, scrub with a coral sponge, and pressure wash to get them off. i have xzilon on my car, so what do i do about bugs now? i take the pressure washer and spray them off...i don't even have to scrub or touch any soap/chemical. bird droppings? just spray them off, no damage done...
Almost any quality sealant will do the same thing. Actually, I can't think of one that doesn't.

Quote:
that's the problem with most people and their "takes" on this products. it is NOT meant to give a showroom shine or that "deep gloss" look. it is a sealant that protects
What? All sealants protect, as well as accentuate the gloss of the paint. A shine, in itself, is derived through polishing.

Quote:
http://www.xzilon.com/index2.php?pag...int+Protectant

what does it say? PROTECTANT. does it say anything about giving it deep glossy looks? no because it is designed to protect. and does it protect? yes...better than wax? at least 10x better...at LEAST.
10x better at LEAST? Why not 15x or 20x better? Might as well rape the numbers on a higher scale.

I'll tell you what. Sell me a 1oz sample of the stuff. I'll apply it to a half a panel and use another sealant on the other half. We can even leave the choice of the other sealant up to the forum members - I have a variety on hand. After 3 months of wear, I'll post a comparison. Unlike your Evo, my cars are well-prepped. Deal?

Quote:
this is after i xzilon'd my car...

Click the image to open in full size.

now, if you ask me, that looks great even without wax. did i wax it? no i stripped all the wax off and then xzilon'd it.

water beads off the car now way better than it did with wax and if you don't believe me about the bugs, i'll make a video. i'm a professional detailer and even i believed this stuff was bs before i tried it...now i'm a believer
I don't mean to sound rude, really, but you obviously have no idea of what you speak. A sealant will strip a wax due to the nature of the beast, regardless. Waxing over a sealant can often increase depth and wetness of the look, but it won't make the paint more glossy without prep. So you're a professional detailer?

Quote:
i applied it to my rims and brake calipers too...brake dust? rinse it off and call it a day...
So what? You're acting as if this property is exclusive to this this product. There's a cornucopia of treatments that will do the same thing, if not better and for a longer period of time. Seeing how you cite this property as something special, I have to honestly wonder about your familiarity with available options.

Quote:
people need to stop bashing products before they try them because, personally, i would rather have a well protected paint job and have it look as good as that picture up there than to have my car look a tad bit glossier with the paint less protected
Please see my offer above. I'd love to buy a small sample from you and post the results on the forum. I'm as curious about it as the next guy, but there is a time limit. There are only a few weeks left in the season in my part of the country, so let's get this going.

Old Oct 8, 2008, 05:31 AM   #12
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJF View Post
If you read what you quoted, I spoke of the product in the context of others of its kind, and linked a thread with those who have used it.

Almost any quality sealant will do the same thing. Actually, I can't think of one that doesn't.

What? All sealants protect, as well as accentuate the gloss of the paint. A shine, in itself, is derived through polishing.

10x better at LEAST? Why not 15x or 20x better? Might as well rape the numbers on a higher scale.

I'll tell you what. Sell me a 1oz sample of the stuff. I'll apply it to a half a panel and use another sealant on the other half. We can even leave the choice of the other sealant up to the forum members - I have a variety on hand. After 3 months of wear, I'll post a comparison. Unlike your Evo, my cars are well-prepped. Deal?

I don't mean to sound rude, really, but you obviously have no idea of what you speak. A sealant will strip a wax due to the nature of the beast, regardless. Waxing over a sealant can often increase depth and wetness of the look, but it won't make the paint more glossy without prep. So you're a professional detailer?

So what? You're acting as if this property is exclusive to this this product. There's a cornucopia of treatments that will do the same thing, if not better and for a longer period of time. Seeing how you cite this property as something special, I have to honestly wonder about your familiarity with available options.

Please see my offer above. I'd love to buy a small sample from you and post the results on the forum. I'm as curious about it as the next guy, but there is a time limit. There are only a few weeks left in the season in my part of the country, so let's get this going.
aka you haven't used it before...i dont even need to respond to anything else, much less bother reading it.

i do not work for xzilon so i dont sell it...so you're gonna have to ebay it or something

and yes i do work as a detailer...what about you?

my point is, too many people are saying "oh it's not making the car look better"...well no crap. xzilon is not meant to and sure you can wax over it to make it look better but i think my car above looks just fine without it

Old Oct 8, 2008, 06:43 AM   #13
FJF
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
aka you haven't used it before...i dont even need to respond to anything else, much less bother reading it.
1. Given the rest of your comments, you obviously read my post, so why BS right off the bat? It certainly doesn't add to your credibility.

2. To refresh your recollection once again, I never said that I used the product, but I did link a thread written by folks who did.

Quote:
i do not work for xzilon so i dont sell it...so you're gonna have to ebay it or something
I'm not the one making ridiculous claims about the stuff; you are. It is logically impossible to prove a negative, hence my offer.

For whatever reason, you see this an an adversarial issue and it's not. In the detailing community, we trade samples. I've received multiple samples from folks on the forums and have sent out quite a few myself. We do this, because we enjoy the hobby and because we want to help others do the same. We also do this, because it's fun to try before the buy. I'm willing to pay for a sample of the magic elixir. Hell, I don't even need an ounce of the stuff. We can, then, test it in a comparative setting. I'd be happy to update this thread monthly with pics. If this product has the durability you assert, it will be self-evident.

Quote:
and yes i do work as a detailer...what about you?
I've never charged for a detail.

Quote:
my point is, too many people are saying "oh it's not making the car look better"...well no crap. xzilon is not meant to and sure you can wax over it to make it look better but i think my car above looks just fine without it
Your point is wrong from its inception. As I've already explained to someone who claims to be a professional detailer, a wax will not make the car look "better" (whatever that means) without adequate prep. The same goes for a sealant or any LSP. You obviously don't even know the basics of detailing, but here we are.

Given your rather (errr) interesting approach, the ball is in your court. Let's test the stuff on a comparative level and see how well it performs.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 8, 2008 at 06:49 AM.

Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

look, i'm not gonna argue because i'm not in the mood for it, and rarely am.

you have your views and i have mine. all i'm saying is, i thought this product was a load of crap until i tried it so i recommend that you try it for yourself also. unfortunately, i dont have any xzilon on hand and if i did, i would have to give you the whole bottle. if you open it, the active chemical becomes completely ineffective after about a week so i couldn't just give you a 1oz sample.

but for the price ($50) on ebay, it's a great buy. it IS a rip however if you buy it at the dealership for hundreds but the reason they're charging that much is because you're buying the warranty(which might i add is a rip also), not the product. so spend a couple of bucks on ebay, try it out and see if you like it or not. the xzilon website says you can put wax over it so if you want that glossy look, go for it.

there's enough in the bottle for 3 applications (cars) or you can double or triple coat one car but might as well use all of it since it will become useless after a week or two

in fact, what sealant/wax combo is YOUR favorite? i'd like to try some for myself after the xzilon wears off (6 months-1 year). i always try new stuff and this was my first xzilon application so i'm almost 99% sure i'm gonna try something new again

Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:44 AM   #15
FJF
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
look, i'm not gonna argue because i'm not in the mood for it, and rarely am.
I think that we just strated off on the wrong foot.

Quote:
you have your views and i have mine. all i'm saying is, i thought this product was a load of crap until i tried it so i recommend that you try it for yourself also. unfortunately, i dont have any xzilon on hand and if i did, i would have to give you the whole bottle. if you open it, the active chemical becomes completely ineffective after about a week so i couldn't just give you a 1oz sample.
Whoa, hold on a second. This stuff is claimed to have astonishing durability when spread out on a car, exposed to the air for months, yet it somehow goes limp when exposed to the air in its bottle for a week? You can't possibly think that makes sense.

Quote:
but for the price ($50) on ebay, it's a great buy. it IS a rip however if you buy it at the dealership for hundreds but the reason they're charging that much is because you're buying the warranty(which might i add is a rip also), not the product. so spend a couple of bucks on ebay, try it out and see if you like it or not. the xzilon website says you can put wax over it so if you want that glossy look, go for it.
Of course you can put wax over it; it's a sealant. Keep this in mind: a wax over a sealant is OK, a sealant over a wax strips the wax. Alas, I'm not going to spend $50 on a bottle of this stuff to do a half a panel. If someone wants to and would like to trade samples, I'll gladly try it and post pics of the results.

Quote:
there's enough in the bottle for 3 applications (cars) or you can double or triple coat one car but might as well use all of it since it will become useless after a week or two
I think we already covered the expiration issue. Out of sheer curiosity, I had a look at the bottle and it's 6.5oz. Given the manufacturer's spec as to the number of applications, does one apply it with a paint brush? :-)

FWIW, most of us here can do a whole car with less than an ounce of sealant. You seem like a very enthusiastic guy. Stick around and have a look at process. The forum regulars are always happy to help.

Quote:
in fact, what sealant/wax combo is YOUR favorite? i'd like to try some for myself after the xzilon wears off (6 months-1 year). i always try new stuff and this was my first xzilon application so i'm almost 99% sure i'm gonna try something new again
I really like FK1 1000P for its durability, especially when used in heat-sensitive applications like wheels and calipers. It looks great on paint, too. I also like Z-2p on relatively non-reflective paint like GG. Like 1000P, Z-2p is a very bright-looking sealant that gives the look a lot of pop. On a blue car like yours, I like 4* UPP. It's a warmer, slightly wetter looking product with a much better sense of depth. Where as 1000P, as an example, can make highly reflective paint look a little antiseptic, UPP stand out as a more natural-looking option. It doesn't have the durability of the Z-2p and/or 1000P, though. I also like KSG, but I rarely recommend it due to its need to be applied in a very thin layer. Otherwise, it turns into stone.

JW AJT is another terrific product. It's very similar to KSG in its look, but extremely easy to work with. It's less durable, though. Unlike KSG that calls for a 24 hour curing period before layering, AJT can be layered with a couple of hours. It doesn't stain trim and it can be used to protect virtually any surface.

Mothers FX is very similar to Z-2p in its look, ease of application, albeit with less durability. It's also almost as cheap as dirt.

As you seem to favor durability, you can't go wrong with 1000P as an all-around sealant. I bought a 15oz can a few years ago, must have applied at least 30 layers and have hardly made a dent in it. If I may, just prep your car beforehand, meaning polish. Your paint should look reflective enough to hurt the eyes. Shine a halogen light onto the paint and have a good look at its condition. You may be very surprised by what you see.

Take care and good luck.

http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm

Last edited by FJF; Oct 8, 2008 at 12:31 PM.

Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:44 AM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
car, deal, ebay, forum, ksg, paint, people, price, protection, reviews, sample, sealant, warranty, wax, xzilon