Notices
Private 'Evo 1 - 9' For Sale / Wanted Sell an item in here or look for a particular part that you need.
Mark this thread as Sold

Is this a scam...?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redblls420
it might be a scam but if they send the check and it clears take the money out then you know its not a scam,hey as long as they dont get the car before the check clears whats the worst that can happen it might be a scam hey it might not,alot of people judge it by all the scams out there this might not,JUST DONT SEND HIM NOTHING
that is the worst advice concidering the evidence we alreay provided. he will get the check and it will clear. after a couple of days the bank will realize that it bounced and they will come after you for the money. if we all know that it is a scam and even the FBI knows that it is a scam, why you are you saying it MIGHT not be a scam??

we are trying to protect people from being scammed out of thier hard earned money here
Old May 10, 2004, 02:38 PM

You are 100% wrong I had six checks sent so far, I do it on purpose just so they waste time and money. None of these checks ever clear. I can post as many as you want. Like I said there hasn't been a day that I haven't received one. They sent these to everyone that posts any kind of for sale ad. I haven't had any luck with the police or FBI, but that's only maybe because I wasn't a vicitm, I didn't loose anyhting. Maybe they take more serious if you actually have lost some money.
Old May 10, 2004, 02:58 PM

let me ask you something ,when you cash a check and they say it will not clear for 3-5 business days,thats what they are checking if the money is in the account they cant clear a check then bounce a check thats impossible.,they are going to check if the money is there if its not they will tell you the check bounced then the bank will not give you the money and then the fbi cant come after you,all you did was waste there time and you found out that is was or was not a scam,trust me i went threw i would not give advice about something that i had no idea about,and i came out on top with the money,everyone said it was a scam 3 years later i still have the money and no problems,,now am i right or wrong still help me out
Old May 10, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

let me ask you something ,when you cash a check and they say it will not clear for 3-5 business days,thats what they are checking if the money is in the account they cant clear a check then bounce a check thats impossible.,they are going to check if the money is there if its not they will tell you the check bounced then the bank will not give you the money and then the fbi cant come after you,all you did was waste there time and you found out that is was or was not a scam,trust me i went threw i would not give advice about something that i had no idea about,and i came out on top with the money,everyone said it was a scam 3 years later i still have the money and no problems,,now am i right or wrong still help me out
if this was the same scam and you actually got the money than i take it back. did you sell the car to the guy? did you get the money that was promised from the check?
Old May 10, 2004, 03:24 PM

it was the same conditions ,i dont know if it was the same guy but yeah it was the same all around,and as i said this happened a couple of yrs ago and i still have the money,and they came with a flat bed and picked it up,thats why im saying dont think its a scam,hey we all know it still could be a scam,as i said im not ruling that out
Old May 10, 2004, 04:14 PM

Oldest scam ever...

www.ebolamonkeyman.com is a guy that plays along with these scammers and straight up owns them all. Check it out...

It's a Nigerian "419" scam. From what I understand, it is b/c of international banking laws. The check will not truly "go through" within 5 days. When they do finally try to get the money, the bank will want it back from you....guaranteed. Banks are required to provide some % of the funds within so many days. When they don't get their money you better believe they will come after you for it.

Last edited by 99///MPower; May 10, 2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 10, 2004, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

This scam long predates the Internet and e-commerce, but it has evolved into a new beast. As for those who had success with such a come on years back, there is an ever so slight chance that this was a real brokered deal, but I think you have a better chance of winning Powerball twice now. They use International Cashier's/Certified Checks which take added time to clear in our domestic financial institutions. When dealing with large ticket items, like new or used Evos, I'd recommend using Paypal (credit card enabled), or wiring the money from bank to bank which is nearly instantaneous. If you are selling a car the best advice is to stay local and most definately here within the states!
Old May 10, 2004, 06:43 PM

google has a point,i would recommened using paypal or the best thing is tell them to bring the cash or wiring the money threw banks,as he said it is instantaneous,thats the best way,good luck with it
Old May 10, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Definitely a scam, but I'd play it to get the fake check. Just keep telling them that your bank hasn't released the $$$. I bet you could hold them on for weeks with enough excuses. Hell, I'd tell them you lost the first check and get a second one sent.

Have some fun with it, but know it is a SCAM.
Old May 10, 2004, 11:57 PM

ROFL, I really get a big kick out of all of these scams. I mean JFC if you are going to pretend to be a lawyer/broker, at least try to pretend you graduated high school with at least a small amount of education. I'm not really a grammar **** or anything, and my spelling and punctuation is FAR from perfect. But these e-mails seriously look to me like they are written by 13 year olds. And what's even more sad, is that I know 13 year olds that can write better papers that they turn in every day to their teachers than what these scammers show and these kids aren't even trying to get 7000 bucks. In fact, if you are one of these scammers, please send me a message, I'll hook you up with a 13 year old to proof-read and grammar check your e-mails. I guarentee you it would get you more sales, and at the very least make you not laughed at as much.
Old May 11, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

dude, i think you are one of the scammers... i mean the typing and broken English looks very familiar...
Old May 11, 2004, 07:59 AM

thats how we speak up here in jersey i wouldnt talk about your broken english im just trying to help you because i was in the same situation as you but to tell you the trth i came out on top with the money,by the way the car is nice
Old May 11, 2004, 08:54 AM

why do you keep acting like it's not a scam?

It is one of the biggest scams ever. And yes folks, they do troll message boards looking for items to "buy".
Old May 11, 2004, 11:06 AM

Talking

If you did get the money, you may want to sleep with one eye open as the Treasury department is probably looking for you.

Let's sum it up here:

1) Buyers do scan these and other boards for items to "buy"

2) Never under any circumstance exchange your product for their certified check, which is only certified to do one thing-- BOUNCE.

3) Stick to selling your car in the country you live, be it the USA or Australia. I think thats simple logic.

4) Don't use Western Union or accept foreign cashiers checks. Stick to wiring the money, paypal, or in some cases credit cards.

CASE CLOSED and thread retired.

Last edited by Google; May 11, 2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 12, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

well, i got the check today, and it came FedEx International... funny thing was the check was from Bank of America, in Witchita Falls, TX...? Hmmm...

So, i got this email from him this morning...

GOOD DAY,
SORRY FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO YOU ON TIME TO INFORM YOU OF THE PAYMENT DELIVERY DATE.MEANWHILE YOU WILL BE RECEIVING THE CHECK PAYMENT TODAY VIA FEDEX ON OR BEFORE 12 NOON.
HOWEVER MY CLIENT HAVE INSTRUCTED THAT YOU SHOULD SEND THE BALANCE TO HIS AGENT IMMEDIATELY YOU RECEIVED THE PAYMENT VIA MONEY GRAM MONEY TRANSFER AND DEDUCT THE MONEY GRAM TRANSFER CHARGES FROM THE BALANCE..

BELOW IS THE AGENT INFORMATION YOU WILL NEED FOR THE MONEY GRAM TRANSFER

Name:Frank Perez
Address ;94 McCaul Street Toronto
ON M5T Canada

AS SOON AS THE BALANCE IS SENT TO THE AGENT THE AGENT WILL NOW START NECCESARY ARRANGEMENT FOR THE PICK UP OF THE VEHICLE..
FOR THE TITLE PAPERS ,

BELOW IS MY CLIENT {THE BUYER} INFORMATION YOU WILL NEED FOR THE TITLE PAPERS

Name Of Buyer --- Victor Jackson
ADDRESS. 58 York Street Toronto,
&nbs p; Ontario M5J 1S9
PLEASE YOU ARE ADVICE TO TO GO TO ANY MONEY GRAM OUTLET CLOSE TO YOU AND SEND THE BALANCE TO THE AGENT.PLEASE YOU ARE REQUIRED TO FORWARD THE DETAILS OF THE WIRE TRANSFER TO THE AGENT VIA HIS EMAIL AND COMUNICATE WITH HIM FOR EASY AND ARRANGEMENT FOR THE PICK UP.

AGENT EMAIL ADDRESS agents_4pickup@yahoo.com

I WILL BE EXPECTING YOUR MAIL WITH THE MONEY GRAM TRANSFER PIN NUMBER TO CONFIRM THAT THE TRANSFER HAS BEEN COMPLETED.
THANKS AND NICE DOING BUSINESS WITH YOU..
anyway i emailed the guy this...

Hey, I got your check today, but i think i'll pass on this...

Do you think i'm ****ing stupid...? Like i didn't know this was a scam from the beginning...?

I'll be forwarding this check along with all the adresses you provided to the proper authorities...

You must think all of us Americans are stupid... good luck with the next sucker... but i'll be posting this on every car website i can find...
he responded with...

Hello,

Thanks for your insults,don't think you can sit on my client's money.You should proceed with the arrangement .Go to a cashing point and cash the money and send the balance immediately to the agent,okay.

Regards.....
and i finished with...

You must be kidding if you really think i am going to send your "client" any money...? I know the check is bogus...

I will be forwarding the check and all the names and adresses to the police tomorrow...

Regards to yourself...
So, i got this check for $35K in my hands... too bad it's bogus...

ah well...

Quick Reply: Is this a scam...?