Notices
Private 'Evo 1 - 9' For Sale / Wanted Sell an item in here or look for a particular part that you need.
Mark this thread as Sold

Is this a scam...?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2004, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a scam...?

I got an email from someone the other day from my Autotrader.com Ad, claiming that this guy is some sort of broker for a client that is looking to buy my car...

Here are the emials i have received...

Thanks for your mail and your price of $26,500 accepted.I want to confirm from my client how the payment will be,because the amount in the check that is suppose to be given to you is more than what should be paid to you.Because the company that is owing my client wants to make out the check with whole amount,both the shippment charges and agent fees,so please get back to me the moment you recieve this mail for more clarifications.I will contact my client soonest.

Then...

Thanks for geting back to me.As i informed you in my last mail,my client have instructed that the check should be made out to your name provided that you will send the balance back to him through western union and deduct the western union charges from the balance so that he can be able to pay the shipping company and agents that will come for the pick up.

Finally...

Thanks for the information,the transaction will go in this way: once the check gets to you which i believe will get to you before thursday next week,reason for the delay of check payment is that it has to go through their usual official documentations and book keeping before the check is made out in your Name. Please you have to bear with us, you should understand that, this is a financial matter,it has to go through the right process,you send the balance at soon as possible to the agent so that he can book for reservation wiht the shippers and you will also send the best time for pick by which the title will be ready because my client wants the title papers to be picked at the time of pick up.Please you are adviced to remove advert from web to avoid complications as this deal is believed to be sealed between the both parties.

So, does this seem legit, or is it some kind of scam...? I mean, once i deposit the check and wait for the funds to clear i would be ok... I'm not about to deposit that check and mail this guy $8500 without the check clearing... that would be stupid...

Any comments on this would be appreciated...

Thanks...!
Old May 5, 2004, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

this just seems too shady... and the English seems a bit "off", not to mention the typing seems really crappy...

Old May 5, 2004, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

D,

this is the biggest scam ever. it is very popular right now and you will get it from autotrader, ebay, paypal and many other places. DO NOT , i repeat, DO NOT even reply to this. they will send you the check and everything will be fine but the it will not clear at the end and you will end up owing the bank a lot of money.
Old May 5, 2004, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

I figured this was too good to be true...

Eh well, i'll keep the check for posterity...
Old May 5, 2004, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Diesel I would advise against this!!! My brother put his Talon up for sale a while ago and they approached him in the same manner, do not do anything, stay away from it. Appereantly the persons claimed to be working for someone in South Africa and ACTUALLY DID send him a check. He tried to deposit the check and it was a fraud check!! Good thing my bro has some BIG contacts with the bank and reported them and of course we didn't ship the car or anything at all. Ended up selling the car to someone local. If you still choose to go with the deal ask them for the clients address and home number, verify the information and go ahead and even call them up. If you do get a check make sure it clears!!! But I would advise against this BIG TIME! My brother also put his car on Autotrader.
Old May 5, 2004, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=scam

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...utotrader+scam

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=419272
Old May 5, 2004, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

check out the first link i posted. it is exactly like what you got
Old May 5, 2004, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

leadingcars3@fastermail.com is this persons email addy...

i'll have him send me the check, just to see what happens... my car is obvioulsy not going ANYWHERE without that check clearing...

i have asked him for both his and his clients address and phone numbers, but i haven't heard back from him in the last 12 hours... maybe he figured i wised up to him...?
Old May 5, 2004, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The check they will send you will appear to be fine but will be returned. It will take a while so your bank will say oh its been 10 days say and everything is ok. But it really isn't. You will be out the money you send them of course.

Like others have said right now this is a popular scam.

Don't be taken. It may sound good but you know what they say.

Flybyevo...
Old May 5, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

good finds bro... i knew this had to be a scam...
Old May 5, 2004, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

yea this is the big scam...read it on nasioc awhile ago...so dont fall for it
Old May 8, 2004, 11:04 AM

BIG SCAM!!!! They are sending these out like hotcakes! I get 2 -3 a day. Not only that, however, they also come form paypal, ebay, citibank amex and other financail institutions where they ask for credit card and pin!!
Old May 8, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Good thinking posting about this to see if its a scam!

I work for a bank and let me tell you we see this stupid scam all the time. Most of the time ppl are sent a letter saying they won "the canadian lottery" and that all they have to do to get the check is pay the taxes... so dumbazz ppl ( im sorry but you cannot win the canadian lottery if you never even bought a ticket...) send a check for 1500 or whatever to pay the taxes and they actually will recieve a check.. they deposit and it later gets returned... then they are screwed.

They arent interested in getting your car.. they want that "extra money" leftover from his checking being too large.

i hate freakin scammers!!
Old May 10, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

i say you get the check and notify the FBI about it. DO IT!
Old May 10, 2004, 01:43 PM

it might be a scam but if they send the check and it clears take the money out then you know its not a scam,hey as long as they dont get the car before the check clears whats the worst that can happen it might be a scam hey it might not,alot of people judge it by all the scams out there this might not,JUST DONT SEND HIM NOTHING

Quick Reply: Is this a scam...?