Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Rebuilding my VIII

Old Jul 24, 2016, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine bay is dirty, but I'm happy with how it's starting to look:
Attachment 326671
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:39 AM

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
What heat shield is that above? Would love to know where to source one... Great thread! Also, with the IACV that you installed, did it come with a gasket? Or did you re-use the old gasket from your old IACV? I am having issues with my idle on cold start, when you installed the new IACV, what did you need to do to settle down the rpm from 3000 down to 850?

Last edited by gotblkr; Nov 23, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn. Just read the entire build thread. Was like finishing a great TV show...I'm now not to sure what to do with my life!

Any updates since July, Aggie?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yep.

Haven't had much time to update, especially right now. Work has been crazy busy (make sure you are extra nice to your UPS driver right now... we don't see our families much until February).

GSC S1s went in a few weeks back. PCV side Radium Auto catch can went in and is working. Checked it yesterday and it needs emptied. Intake side has been dry for months. I'm building a better boost leak tester and ordered a different set of plugs. Car is strong but might be getting some spark break up on occasion.

Injectors and suspension are next on the list. Slowly working on my intake manifold before sending it in with a throttle body for porting. I want to do the 84mm FP cover and a 4 inch velocity stack intake with SD this next year. Going to try to push as much as I can out of the IX turbo.

For those that have asked, the exhaust manifold cover was off eBay. You can get whatever you want stenciled in there, but I just like what it said in the stock photo. I have gold reflective tape on the back and my exhaust manifold is Swain coated. Underhood temps seem better than before, honestly.

Last edited by aggieEVO; Dec 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 01:58 PM

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Really interested in the process you followed for settling down your rpm when you installed your new IACV. Could you give us a really quick run down on what was needed to be done? I do not have evoscan etc so unsure if I should attempt to install a new IACV myself without it...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 09:26 PM

This seems like a lot of work. I'm just going to pay my mechanic to do the work for me
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

That's like getting your friend to beat the hard levels on a video game for you and then saying you finished it. It's my hobby. I enjoy putting the work into it.

Originally Posted by eavox
This seems like a lot of work. I'm just going to pay my mechanic to do the work for me
Old Dec 17, 2016, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This is a very positive, inspirational, motivating thread !!
The power of persistence, and you have overcome every obstacle so far.
I sat and read the entire thread just now, a lot of people would have sold there car, gave up a lonnnggg time ago.
My hat is off to you...
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:18 PM

Looking forward to more updates in the new year. We all hope your job has settled down and you can get back to spinning some wrenches! Lol
Old Feb 11, 2017, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

You want updates? We got updates!

Car is running pretty dang nice right now.

Purchased these from a fellow board member. Thanks for the killer deal! MR Bilsteins and Race Comp Engineering springs.
Rebuilding my VIII-b3mgdd3.jpg

I wish it were a little lower, but I'm overall very happy with the setup.
Rebuilding my VIII-tf6iz9j.jpg

Cleaner pic:
Rebuilding my VIII-fuhdvcq.jpg

Took it in for alignment and ended up having to replace a toe adjustment bolt and both Whiteline tie rod ends. Expensive trip to Firestone, but the handling is amazing.
Rebuilding my VIII-trpd4l6.jpg

Got this for Christmas. Nice little improvement in sound quality. Direct plug and play with Alpine head units. I'll probably get some new speakers soon.
Rebuilding my VIII-18uhyh4.jpg

Still ironing out the tune since the cams went in. Virtual Dyno had me at 356 the other night in 3rd gear at 98% IDC. I really don't want to spend money on new injectors, but I know that's my next choking point.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I emptied my catch can this weekend and decided to inspect my timing belt (as I'm coming up on 60k with it). Seeing some cracks. Ordered a new Gates blue belt, tensioner, and pulleys. Also ordered a few odds and ends that I needed and a new set of plugs. Car is getting all that done next weekend.

I've been playing with my tune and haven't been happy with the progress I'm making. I upped the boost a tad and can't seem to run more than 4 degrees of timing at 5-6000 rpm (270s on load). Either I've run out of steam on the stock turbo or I have a boost leak. Going to check all that out, soon, but I'm going to take it really easy on the car until I get the timing belt changed.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aggieEVO
Well, I emptied my catch can this weekend and decided to inspect my timing belt (as I'm coming up on 60k with it). Seeing some cracks. Ordered a new Gates blue belt, tensioner, and pulleys. Also ordered a few odds and ends that I needed and a new set of plugs. Car is getting all that done next weekend.

I've been playing with my tune and haven't been happy with the progress I'm making. I upped the boost a tad and can't seem to run more than 4 degrees of timing at 5-6000 rpm (270s on load). Either I've run out of steam on the stock turbo or I have a boost leak. Going to check all that out, soon, but I'm going to take it really easy on the car until I get the timing belt changed.
Heads up. A couple of years ago I could not get my stock turbo 9 to make power like it should. Knock at boost and timing levels that should not knock. Long story short:

Turbine Housing

100 3708

Not only did my housing crack, a chunk came out and went through the turbine. Now the turbo used no oil, made no weird noises, but it would not make expected power. This is one of the downsides with the stock turbo and the known issue of that divider cracking.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yikes. That's not good.

The divider was fine when I installed it after having the housing ported. I was considering a 71HTA later this year as a drop-in. I guess I might need to check the housing out again soon.

Now, my last VD was making right at 350 before I started trying to add boost. So, it's making power, I just thought I'd be able to push for a little more since I've added cams.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am kicking myself in the *** for selling the HTA 71 CHRA I had bought but never put in, I have heard that is a great power adder for the money. Unfortunately I got hooked on dirt oval racing and every cent and spare minute of time has gone into my sportsman modified. Get the HTA71 in there and hit the rollers!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With even mild cams and the HTA71 I would see you in the low 400s conservatively, and with a decent spool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilding my VIII