Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evodan2004 has lost his mind part 3. The new changes and goals for 2013.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Evodan2004 has lost his mind part 3. The new changes and goals for 2013.

I was not going to make a thread for a while but I am bored and really am just getting to impatient HAHAH. Plus I am about to start working on the car so here is a quick thread of what is to come. Sorry for the short detail.

I want to start off with what is most important to me. my family and friends. What can I say 2012 was by far the best year I have ever had ''involving the EVO and the community. I have made a lot of great friends with a lot of you and have also met a lot of really great people. I have spoke to a lot of you threw PM, text, shootouts, local tracks, and so on. A lot of you have given me a great deal of help and support online and at the track. I am really glad to have a small fan base and friendship status with you guys. It sure helps keep the mojo going. With that said thank you to everyone who has followed me and supported me. Also a special thanks to all the vendors and shops who have been a great part of this journey as well. We are a great team. Alex at DBR, Geoff at Full-Race, Sean at IveyTune, Craig at Spark-Tech, Tom at Driven Innovations, Walker at MP-Fab, Chad at CBRD, David and crew at Buschur Racing, Thank you all so much for everything. i couldn't do it without you guys.

Lets talk about 2013 and what it holds for me and the EVO. I have some pretty big plans. Well not that big but big enough for me. The goal this year is to run 9s and lots of them. I want to attempt 9s on pump gas and sub 9s on E85 and trap in the 155MPH range. The car currently weighs in at 2780 and the new goal is 2680. When the car went 10.37 on 93 octane it was at least 150lbs heavier then it is now and made a lot less HP. So being 250lbs lighter and making more power i think i can pull it off. Also a less powerful car is easier to control as well. Here are some of the changes being made. It is not all of it as i have not decided if i want to do some stuff or not so i didn't bring it all up but what is below is going to be done.

Engine,Turbo
I plan to keep the engine the same this year. This is the 4th year for the Block and head so i want to keep on going with it until it fails. I really hope it is up for the taste i placed ahead of it. I am Keeping the built 2.0L engine, STM650 cams, Spark Tech C.O.P. CDI, DI intake manifold, custom built CBRD radiator, FMIC, and intercooler piping, and lastly the TS T4 PTE6466 1.15 housing. The turbo manifold, down pipe, waste gates, dump tubes, and other components are being sold off. I cant really say to much about why but Geoff at Full-Race is working on a experiment for my needs and what i am looking for. There will be more on this later. It could be 6+ weeks away though and should be pretty bad ***. As for the fuel system i am keeping everything as it is but possibly selling off the BR double pumper and buying that Squash performance CNC double pumper with twin 416 pumps. I want to see some cars run it though.

Drivetrain
I blew up the Transfer case at my local track and will be rebuilding it. Basically the same way Alex did but with an upgraded R&P. I already have a Quaiffe LSD and some other stuff. As for the trans and clutch i am going to leave the trans alone. For once it is ok. There is no need to freshen it up. The clutch i am going to rebuild and shim correctly to avoid any inconsistent peddle feel that i had. Also i will be getting a one piece carbon drive shaft and will have the AWD motorsports 2 piece one up for sale.

Suspension, Brakes
I am replacing the sway bars with the crappy godspeed ones because there very light. Currently I have a ''Hotchicks'' rear and a Tanabe front bar I will be selling. They are both lighter then stock and probably the best quality bars I have seen. I am not sure if I want to change spring rates or not. I really do not know much about this. Currently i have 8KF-6KR on apexiN1 coilovers. As for brakes I am leaving the front Girodisc ultra light rotors with stock calipers and the rears i will be selling the girodisc ultra light rotors and calipers and hunting for a set of AMS/Wilwood rear drag brake setup. AMS stopped making these so I have to find a used set. I feel this will be best for a street car. There wont be much weight saved. I think maybe 5lbs total. Since most of the braking is done in the front i plan to keep that as is for now. Also I bought a few bushing kits from STM last year that I never used. So i would like to get them in along with buying a few other bushings from STM to complete the setup. I am hoping this will help get the car off the line better.

Interior
I am leaving most of this alone but i might convert the rear power windows to manual windows. I need to find the weights on the manual crank and electric motors. I will be selling off my Defi BF 60mm gauges. I never use them anymore so why have them. I love them but i have no need for them. I am also going to be pulling the dash back out and doing some wire removing. Yes I am attempting this yet again. Not nearly like some of these other guys but I just plan to remove things that are not in use that is all.

Engine bay/Appearance
I am not to sure about this just yet as it depends how far i get or how long it will take. Basically all I will be doing is removing every bracket not in use and hand sanding the hole bay down and buying a few cans of touch up paint from the dealer and respraying it to clean it up. But we will see. Both of my catch can setups have worked out awesome and i love them. but I want to have them built even lighter then they already are so I be contacting MP-Fab again for this. MP-Fab is also going to be building me some other custom light weight parts I am looking for. so more on that as there being done.

Rims and Tires
If time allows I want to pick up a set of Volk CE28N rims in 17x9. I really like the new race master drag radial tires but I am disappointed they are so heavy ''25lbs'' each. My Nitto 555R tires are 23lbs each. That will be for the street. As for the drag strip a nice set of Rota Slipstreams on QTP tires.

Here is a list of things that will be for sale soon as I pull them off the car
turbo kit
front hotchkis sway bar - SOLD
rear tanabe sway bar - SOLD
AWD drive shaft - Pending
AMS front cross member
Girodisc ultra light rear rotors ''9lbs each''
stock rear brembo calipers
MP-Fab catch cans - SOLD
Defi BF60mm gauges and triple gauge pod
stock BBS rims powder coated black mint condition - SOLD

Well that is pretty much it. This will be a very slow project. The reason is this year I am putting a budget on the car. In the past if I needed something or something broke it was not even a thought to change or fix it. I am no longer poring money into it like that. Also I am in the middle of remodeling my house, garage, and some other personal things in my life. The house is getting frame work, electrical, plumbing, Sheetrock, toilets, tile, and even furniture. Basically a complete overhaul and this is eating up nearly all my funds and its making the car no longer a priority. I would like for it to be done by late April early May though. So we will see how it go's.

Well that pretty much sums it up. I am sorry I can not talk about a few things but in time it will all be spoken of. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. all comments, tips, info, are welcome and I look forward to seeing old and new faces this year. again thanks to everyone.

Below I put a few of my fav pics and highlights of 2012. Thanks to everyone who took the pics and vids and being apart of my life.

Lisa and I taking a pic at the 20th DSM/EVO shootout just after I ran my 1st 9second pass

some bad *** track pics

caught driving around Ohio

My current all time FAV pic

Hotel room at the shootout watching my baby

This pic is all the yellow EVO's at the hotel. there was a 5th but we never got them in a line

These pics are from the EVO/STI day in late August 2012. ''same day i blew the TC''

When it broke. I dont know why but i think this pic is freaking AWESOME haha.

the problem

Here is some YouTube Vids. my YouTube name is evodan2009 if you want to view other vids.

1st ever 9 second pass at the 20th DSM/EVO shootout ''sorry for my girls F bomb''
in cab vid

second and current best time at my local track ''which closed down this year ''

Broken Transfercase at E-Town

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Jun 4, 2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ the T-Case, id be alot more pissed then that! Wish i could handle breaking things like that. Good luck for 2013!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested in the driveshaft.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice cant wait to see what you have instore.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks good so far Dan, looking forward to more updates!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn that Transfer Case is gone. But i think some jb weld should do the job. Good luck with the build
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys I am also excited about this project.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
so the clutch pedal being inaccurate is what caused the tcase to split? did you wheel hop at all?

cf lip really sets off the hood. i really like the exterior design of this car. you have good taste.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
so the clutch pedal being inaccurate is what caused the tcase to split? did you wheel hop at all?

cf lip really sets off the hood. i really like the exterior design of this car. you have good taste.
No that is not why it broke. The clutch problem is something different. When I installed the clutch QM told me I did not have to worry about shimming the TOB. When i Installed the clutch it was grabbing on the floor. It was adjusted as much as possible with little improvement. So it needs to he shimmed.

The transfer case broke IMO is because of all the 2nd or 3rd gear burn outs on the street. This transfer case is built but it was the original transfercas. It has 75k miles on it. It did its job and I feel searved me well.

Thanks for the appearance complements. I really need a JDM rear to complete my looks.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I suppose I'll subscribe to this junk The plans look good.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New year new goals! Best of luck-other than the carbon driveshaft, swaybars and rear drag brakes how do you plan on shaving another 100lbs out of your streetcar?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badev0
I suppose I'll subscribe to this junk The plans look good.
lol I'm sorry I'm cluddering up the forum haha. Thanks man and good luck to you on your project

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
New year new goals! Best of luck-other than the carbon driveshaft, swaybars and rear drag brakes how do you plan on shaving another 100lbs out of your streetcar?
Thank you. All of that will be coming out as the project takes shape. It will still look the same and have the sunroof and cageas well. I really want the carbon roof but I keep coming up with other ways to drop weight.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I might be interested in the BBS wheels. Please let me know how much when you are ready to sell them.
Thank You, Don
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
No that is not why it broke. The clutch problem is something different. When I installed the clutch QM told me I did not have to worry about shimming the TOB. When i Installed the clutch it was grabbing on the floor. It was adjusted as much as possible with little improvement. So it needs to he shimmed.

The transfer case broke IMO is because of all the 2nd or 3rd gear burn outs on the street. This transfer case is built but it was the original transfercas. It has 75k miles on it. It did its job and I feel searved me well.

Thanks for the appearance complements. I really need a JDM rear to complete my looks.

I agree, jdm rear would set it off!

Saw your car in Ohio, I was at the quality inn next to ya in the Eb 9. Car looks great man! Other than the hoosiers, its a sleeper for sure! I love the RS look on the LY.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wish you best for 13

Quick Reply: Evodan2004 has lost his mind part 3. The new changes and goals for 2013.