Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

New WW IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
mini update - had jon refresh my rear diff after strictly modified stripped the fill bolt - got a new side cover and turned out it needed a few things, new ring and pinion, seals just in case, and was reshimmed (it's been about 5 years).

it also turns out that the diff's cross shaft was flipped (?) and according to him and cusco this created a lot of friction on decel - which explains a lot of what i was feeling off throttle. car felt kind of bindy, resistant to turn (which greatly improved with acd flash), but still felt like it really lacked front grip/bite. jon said the diff wasn't set up like a 2-way, but was pretty darn close to one. looking forward to testing it out with it flipped, hopefully car will turn much better.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Diff has returned to me! Thanks to Jon@TRE for a very quick turnaround. Diff is as good as new. It was discovered while it was there that the crossshaft was flipped previously, causing a lot of friction on decel - which explains a lot of what i was feeling from the car overall from the car. eager to test out the new setup on the diff.

new since I last had the diff there seems to be some kind of breather valve on the top of the backcover of the diff. The backcover was replaced after being stripped; the diff should now be leak-free & good as new.

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 25, 2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to make a quick update here:

rear end is buttoned down. the rear sway bar is in. I had a small hassle in not knowing that I needed to undo one of the control arms in order to fit the rsb - the rear diff was out when I first did it, so I never ran into the issue of getting the arm of the bar under the axle but above the arm, because the axle was disconnected & free moving.

anyway, the diff is in and torqued down. I pulled out the front struts and came to the unfortunately conclusion that Strictly Modified, the same shop that stripped my diff fill bolt, also installed my springs incorrectly. I asked for them to install the springs 8k in front and 10k in rear, and they did 10k/8k. Right now I couldn't recommend them to anyone. When I first notified them of the diff being stripped, they promised reimbursement of the diff's back cover (~$100). They've yet to do so either.

Anyway, the springs being 10/8 explains much of the understeer that I was still encountering. It was a very mechanical understeer in sweepers and other "long" turns where the front would just wash out mid corner. I got the caster plates, rsb, and detuned the rear diff all in order to fix this, but it turns out my springs were incorrectly installed all along. I imagine with 8/10 rates f/r and all the modifications I've made, the car is potentially going to be quite loose. Hopefully I can get the car to a happy place as far as mechanical grip. The rear diff and ACD tune have been working wonders for the awd part of the grip.

Autocross school on 4/11 and a test n tune on 4/12 to help me get used to the car - I'll be autocrossing the evo almost as much as I'll be autocrossing the mini this year!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Update 1: The ciro design plates are in and the springs have been flipped to the correct orientation!

Update 2: Car has been corner balanced and aligned!

School is on Saturday, and on Sunday I'll be playing with the damper settings, and possibly the rear sway bar if I feel like the car needs it.

Summary of changes this off season:
- Diff refreshed, cross shaft had been flipped resulting in very aggressive lock during decel (still very aggressive during accel)
- Ciro Design caster plates replace Ohlins camber plates, increase about 1.2-1.3 degrees of caster
- Springs were on incorrectly, 10/8 - these were flipped to 8/10
- Mild whiteline RSB added, on the softest setting
- Car realigned and re-corner balanced, front raised
- Car detuned to stock PSI levels

Hopefully this results in a car that as bit more front end bite through some of the sweepier corners!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Oops thought I updated this.

Car is perfect - neutral to oversteery based on how I set the ACD. I'd half consider going back to stock rear sway bar, but for now I'll leave things as they are. Very, very happy with the new changes and how the car behaves. It'll understeer if I way overcook the front, but other than the car is very well balanced. I'm still on old Z1ss, probably giving up some time not being on the latest and greatest

http://r56hs.com/2015/04/12/ccscc-sc...2015-04122015/

PS - car started up fine Saturday morning for race, Sunday morning for race, and drove home and parked, all fine without problem. Tried to start the car on Tuesday and the battery was completely drained - any ideas?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Now running an Optima Yellow Top, RIP OEM battery! Ran another autox in the evo yesterday:

Still a lot of work to do driving-wise, and it's hard to get a clean run in this car, at least compared to the Mini lol. Looking forward to continuing working on my driving. They may be old, but the Z1ss seem to be holding up quite well here
Old Apr 27, 2015, 07:46 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
i'm on my second WW MR and lovin' it.

too valuable to build? it's a Japanese sedan, man. you paid for it, may as well enjoy it!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
i'm on my second WW MR and lovin' it.

too valuable to build? it's a Japanese sedan, man. you paid for it, may as well enjoy it!
lol i am definitely enjoying it now!
Old May 5, 2015, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

adjusted my LICP recently and it seems to have messed with the evo - encountered similar behavior long ago when my UICP popped off at an autox.

going to check if there's a leak or if it's not fully aligned on the piping somehow.. it's weird though, i adjusted the LICP up higher, in order to prevent it from contacting the undertray. so, if anything it should all be on tighter than it was before, unless something's popped off.

the rpms wont go higher than 3k, car feels weird in general, idle bouncing around, boost is weird. must be a boost leak at the LICP after i adjusted it.

any other ideas?

::fixed::

just tightened everything down. also had an issue with the AC, which is all but fixed. Just need to evac and recharge the system!

Last edited by kyoo; Jun 19, 2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

signed up to do a PDX for the first time!! Any tips?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea remember its not a race and your there to have fun and learn!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Yea remember its not a race and your there to have fun and learn!
haha definitely! pretty excited about it! will make sure my wheel lugs are tightened down lol
Old Jun 19, 2015, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
What kind of brake pads you going with and what track?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
What kind of brake pads you going with and what track?
ferodo ds2500s

Quick Reply: New WW IX MR