Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Most-Wanted's NASCAR Camping World Truck

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most-Wanted's NASCAR Camping World Truck

Well after years of abusing my daily drivers on the road course including CTSV's, RS4's, Boss 302, and others I have finally bought a dedicated track vehicle once again. Road course car prices are over the top. I can't believe some of the prices of well sorted cars. Over $100K is easy. I cant justify it for a car that sits most of the time. So I came up with the idea of converting a retired Nascar Truck. My wife begged me to do a Nationwide car but they are actually pretty common. Don't ever see a Toyota Tundra lapping Sebring and as most know, I like to be different. It has taken me months of searching, lots of phone calls, and a few road trips to Mooresville, NC and elsewhere to talk with the Teams but I finally found one and purchased it. If all goes as planned she is being transported back to Mooresville for a few parts to be reinstalled and I can go get her in a few weeks. It's going to be a blast to shake down some Corvettes and Porsches in a truck I'll update with pictures and info as I always do. Lots in the air right now. Don't even have her in my possession yet. Its a pretty tricky scenario to get one of the teams to let them go. Truck was hidden away in Kentucky with the Team owner but the shop/parts are in Mooresville. Anyways, allow me to introduce ex-Germaine Racing's Geico #9 Truck... She has already been stripped of her colors. Reminds me of the planes in the bone yard. She needed saving lol...

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Aug 31, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

This is what she looked like before being de-decaled...

Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Now for some pics. The plans are to do track days but to also do some children's charities. I want to do the "Kids Racing For Life" at Sebring and others. It gives kids with terminally ill diseases the chance to ride along in race cars. I may just do a photo opportunity. There is so much to consider but I know the kids would love it. If I can set the truck up to accommodate a passenger and the ministries authorizes it that is the plan...

The chassis work and tin work is amazing in these trucks...

Anyways, just thought some of the hardcore guys would be interested. It will be a lot of work but it will be fun. Paint scheme will be similar to my black evo with green accents. Motor is in question. Id like to reinstall a TRD motor but they are very hard to get. It may end up with an SB2.

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Aug 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Murica
Old Sep 1, 2013, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That should be pretty unique. Nice find.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Its been alot of fun so far. Everyone in the NASCAR group is over the top nice. I've been talking with big name people and they pick up the phone and talk with you like you've been friends for 20 years. I can't speak highly enough about everyone. I was invited to Kyle Buschs shop and went behind the scenes. They and others give out helpful info like its free. I guess obviously I'm not a competitor to them but still makes you feel good when a top team shop owner says bring the truck to the shop and we'll set it up for you. Very very cool people. I'll post a few pics of the shops and current equipment when I get a chance.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Very interesting project. I bet it's a rather economical way to get a very safe track car. What all does it come with? I assume there's no engine/trans but is everything else there?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Very interesting project. I bet it's a rather economical way to get a very safe track car. What all does it come with? I assume there's no engine/trans but is everything else there?
Thanks. There really is no cheaper or safer way to go. The truck I bought is a complete roller. The only thing it needs is a motor, trans, seat, and rear gear. Seats are obviously built specifically by Butler, LaJoie, etc for specific drivers. They are like custom fit race suits, so they hardly ever go with the truck. Motors are normally leased from what Im told so 98% of the trucks I looked at did not have motors. Rear gears are never in the trucks, that's still a mini mystery. Working on that one. Mine has all the fire bottles, safety gear, roof flaps, radiator, oil tank, etc. I thought about doing either a crate motor or used LS motor of some sort. But I think I want to restore it to original and will wait to find a TRD race motor. They make over 800 all motor and it has been suggested to me to just run a restrictor plate or smaller carb to detune it. Im suppose to go back to NC to visit some crew chiefs for some tips and info. Im waiting til my truck makes it over there. Then I'll try and find a TRD motor. I am told they are hard to get on the civilian side and also more expensive. It may end up with the Chevrolet counterpart SB2. Only real difference is the motor mount. They are $25 lol... Wheels are $40. Parts are ridiculously cheap. Nascar teams practically give the stuff away to make space.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

It was awhile ago, but BSR Racing in Concord NC had a TRD in stock
Old Sep 3, 2013, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Badass, congrats Brian! Looking forward to more updates!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 06:55 AM

this is so freaking cool!! How would you go about tires?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Ityn- thanks ill check them out.
06mrevo-thanks, should be a blast to drive.
Evovenomix-tires are actually very easy to get and try are super cheap. I believe they are Goodyear 4156's. sets of these are around 400-600 from what I'm told.

As I buy parts I'll update with what I paid. So far I can't believe the cost of the stuff. I have a connection for left over parts and they are ridiculous reasonable.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Which chassis is this thing based on?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Full TRD chassis. Number #100. But Ronny Hopkins is the builder. I'll post some pics tonight.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CAD EVO
Which chassis is this thing based on?

Quick Reply: Most-Wanted's NASCAR Camping World Truck